Mini

Mitch Kelly
25

Asked by Mitch Sep 21, 2008 at 10:24 AM about the 2002 MINI Cooper Base

The new Mini is manufactured by BMW. Your question asks what make it is? That would be BMW would it not?

Jason Kahn
55

Yes but are all the parts made by BMW or outsourced by other auto manufact's? For example I heard the engine on the first gen came from Peugeot. Am I wrong?

Mitch Kelly
25

Correct, as are most cars. bits from here and there... At the end of the day though, the New Mini is built by BMW and marketed by BMW as a Mini. The same as they were built by Leyland back in the day. I thought it was a trick question as the question had BMW and MINI as the possible answers... Makes no real difference as I've enjoyed the quiz so far... It is difficult if your not from the US or Europe as the manufacturers are different from country to country as are the models. e.g. Vauxhal Corsa is a Holden Barina in Australia, Pontiac GTO is a Holden Monaro in Aus. Cheers..... I'll keep going on the quiz.

Michael Stilling
55

If you ask BMW AG in M√ľnich, thay will say that the Mini for them is just as mutch a BMW as any other BMW with tha roundel on the hood. Mini has been quite an active player in BMW succes the past years.

Tyson Dean
25

YES IT IS A BMW AND ALOT OF THE PARTS AND CONTROL MODULES ARE STAMPED WITH THE BMW LOGO. AND IN THE NEW BODY STYLE MINIS ALOT OF THE PARTS CROSS OVER FROM BMW TO MINI.

Matt Jordan
45

the engine actually stared out as a chrysler 2.0 block, which was re-engineered by BMW. i know for sure that the gen 2 engine was designed with a couple partners and i believe peugeot was one of them. but the bottom line that you are looking for is YES it is a BMW engine, other partners just help bring the cost of engineering and production down. hope i helped a little bit.

Alexandros Stroutzas
35

The engine was developed in co-operation with the PSV group that produces Peugeot. The same engine is found in the Peugeot 207s

Ken Leyson
5

It is made in Oxford England in a former Rover Factory and other parts are made in the former original mini factory.