faulty DME (engine computer)

leifalmundo
0

Asked by leifalmundo Jan 19, 2010 at 06:37 PM about the 2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback

I have been diagnosed with a faulty computer,  a new one is about 2000 dollars plus labor to flash it..
So I bought a used one from a wrecking yard with matching numbers, but the computer has a theft deterent system the shop is unable to bypass.  They say that other than that, it is ready to go.  Does anyone know how to get this thing to work?  Or is my only option to drop another 2500 into my car?
Thank you

Eric_M
50

Hi, Im not sure if its too late or not, but RPM MOTORSPORT Canada can do it, spoke to lots of people who did Mini's and BMW's Used ecu's and there we no complaints at all, they are running there Cars and saved tons from the Dealers. Hope this helps here s the link. www.rpmmotorsport.net Chris

Way Works
65

You can NOT install a used ECU in another car it will not work. The coding will not match up. So you have to get a new one. Sorry for the bad news.

Eric_M
50

That is correct, but I have tried it with my Mini, I have sent them a used dme I got from a junk yard, then I sent my EWS along with my Key. I received a working dme,ews and key and the car started without even a visit to the dealer. I even went to the dealer after that to see if the used dme had the right vin number and programming number, and they didn't even believe the that dme was changed. That how good the work was. I am taking not from what I heard, but actually from what i did. Look them up, they would help anyone with Mini's or Bmw's. Again is www.rpmmotorsport.net Br Eric