99 Mercury Cougar V6 (manual)Will not go in any gears or gates and stay.

misfitmaster472
0

Asked by misfitmaster472 Feb 08, 2013 at 01:47 AM about the 1999 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

Pulled out of parking space in reverse.Then went to put it into 1st gear and shifter just moves all around like it's super sloppy and won't go into any gears or selector gates at all.Acts like there are no gears for it to go into and stay.Starts fine and runs.Clutch pedal feels fine.Just as I stated it seems like there are no gears to go into and I can take the shifter and move it all around in a big circle and never hit a gear or gate for it to go into.Any help is appreciated.

Michael Tutty
4,075

Sounds like at least one of the cables has broken. Probably not a huge fix but you will need to tow it in to have it repaired.

misfitmaster472
0

Thanks for the reply!I thought maybe the same but when I checked the cables neither seemed to have a problem.They still have tension on them as when I do move the shifter around it always returns back to center.

Michael Tutty
4,075

The shifter will return to neutral as it is spring loaded. If the cables seem okay, then it may be a fork broken in the transmission, or the shifter itself is broken. It could be a missing bushing in there.

judge_roy

transmission and/or engine mounts could be at fault here. be sure to inspect by pushin to see if they're doin their job-

45,915

The cables have two ends - check them both.