2000 Cougar transmission problem?

lisagayle
1,460

Asked by lisagayle Feb 18, 2009 at 11:51 PM about the 2000 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

I have a 2000 Cougar V6.  Recently I would notice some serious jerking when I would get on the highway and hit about 65 mph.  Then I noticed it would do it on city roads occasionally as well.  

Now it's gotten so bad that any time I get on the highway it jerks and sometimes the RPMs go way up high but I won't accelerate at all, even though I'm gassing.  Sometimes it takes a minute for it to move forward when I hit the gas from a stop as well.

Is this a transmission problem?  

lisagayle
1,460

oh! And I forgot to mention, that today the OD off light was flashing on the dash. Even though I did not manually take it out of overdrive.

You think this is helpful.
lisagayle
1,460

Thanks so much for your help. Actually, I have a warranty on my car that covers the Transmission. I have, I think, a $100 deductible and then I'd have to pay a few hundred for teardown and diagnostic. But that's all I'd have to pay out of my pocket. Sooo.....if it really is the transmission then I may just let it go and then have it repaired because I do like the car a lot. And it has no other problems. We've kept up the maintenance on it really well and had the oil changed religiously. Thanks for your help!

Jessica Cornelison
355

I have a 99 Cougar, i had to change my altenator in it, ive had it for about a year, after i did that it lasted about 3 months doing well, then it started doing this jerking thing especially when i go from reverse to drive, its mostly when i drive in the city when i have to slow down come to a stop, then start going, it will like jump as if its missing a gear or something... im not sure what the problem is, if its the tranny or not, but if you figure it out would you be kind enough to tell me?!!! Cuz it sounds like we are having about the same problem!!

Ross1976
160

My 2000 Cougar has all these probs. I've had a lot of stuff changed and I am pretty sure it's the transmission range sensor, I've talked to so many who said changing this has solved their problem, so next week I'm having one replaced.

lisagayle
1,460

Hey all! I just wanted to thank you guys for all your contributions. And to update you! Last week my check engine light came on, and even though I thought I knew it was the transmission, I went ahead and had AutoZone check it. They said it was throwing a code for the "Transmission Range Sensor". So I called a very reputable transmission shop here (they have been in business for YEARS and have a very good reputation for fairness) and they checked it out (for free) and said basically the same thing. So, thankfully it wasn't my transmission. It was just the range sensor. It was a $159 fix (including labor). The owner of the shop told me that a lot of times you think your transmission is going out, so you just replace it and much of the time it can be the sensor but it rarely actually throws a code so you never know. Check out this possibility before you rehaul your tranny!

alyssads31791
80

That is your transmission range sensor. Its about 50 dollars to fix if you do it yourself. I have a 2000 mercury cougar as well. And that is EXACTLY what mine is doing. I took it to the shop and had it tested, that is what it is.

maxamil
180

I am having the exact same problem with my 2000 cougar. It is now in the shop for the 3rd time. What finally fixed the issue?

You think this is helpful.
Evil_Pancakes
20

I have the same car, and it is doing exactly the same thing. I replace my tranny fluid, since mine was dirty and low, but it didn't seem to help very much. I'll take it to the shop this weekend. From what I'm hearing here, it sounds like the transmission range sensor. I'll let you know if it is, but thanks so much for the help.

Heather Daub
135

So is this transmission range sensor something you have to buy from a dealer or can you get it at and Auto Zone/ parts store?

You think this is helpful.
Rogelio O
65

i have the same trouble and change the trasmission a twice times and the problem persist, my mechanic told me that this problems maybe come from the computer , what could i do? the OD OFF light star to flashing and keeps

mariogon
70

I just replaced the Transmission Range Sensor in my car after driving it in the same condition everyone is talking about...jerking on the highway and recently even at lower speeds. Once the sensor replaced no more jerking. Runs fine now. My local mechanic who I take my cars to ordered it and replaced it for under 200 bucks. You could do it your self if you know what your doing. He didn't even diagnose it..I just told hime Replace it and he did.

laylalaurac
50

I have a 2000 Cougar V6, have had the alternator replaced three times now (and am very frustrated!) because it is doing the EXACT same things again, as well as randomly revving up to 4 RPMS (so 4000) and not becuase I'm gunning it.. just travelling down regular city road. It seems to do this in between going to the next gear and/or coming down from a higher gear. *muttering about cars with their own minds* I wonder if this could all be cured with the transmission range sensor. I remember getting some card YEARS ago about something that was recalled on my Cougar, but I ignored it... I wonder....... Anyone else remember getting this card?

PassionPit
90

I originally had the jerking problems when my cougar would shift into higher gears on the highway. I didn't think too much of it since it didn't do it frequently. After a few months of it doing that it began jerking very hard when I was going slow, as if it were skipping a gear. It also happened in reverse. I took it to a transmission place and it turned out the torque converter in the transmission broke, now it's costing me $2,700 to fix it. it was probably just a problem with the transmission range sensor originally but I let it go too long and had to face the consequences. If you're having problems with the jerking, which a lot of people seem to be having, get it checked out asap!

AmericanWoman
35

There are service bulletins and recalls for this. go to Auto MD and you can look them up free.

kosman
10

My car is doing the same thing except no flashing OD light, no code from the car's computer and no check engine light or anything. Any suggestions??? Me and my mechanic are getting very frustrated, so any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

mariogon
70

I'm telling you I had the same problem. I told my mechanic to replace the Transmission Relay Sensor and he asked why? I told him just do it and he did. He charged me just under $200 bucks for parts and labor. Drove out of his shop and have never had problems with the jerking. It's not a big risk to spend about $200 bucks to see if that fixes it....several people who reported this problem did just this and it resolved the problem. My mechanic was shocked that's all it was and he swore he thought it was the transmission. What do you have to lose ? Give it a try.

car1958
10

It's jumping in and out of gear. This happens when the Shifter locator sensor (up by battery normally) goes out. Replace it and and 95% of the time you'll be fixed with the symptoms you describe. The newer ones are better engineered and can take the corrosive elements that live by the battery much better.

papa

change the maf,it affects the shifting of the tranny.

crazyinlove
50

maxamil was it the transmission range sensor?

crazyinlove
50

u can get it at Autozone but they have to order it

Kayla Lane
30

replace the transmission range sensor its a $40 part and it will change it all. my cougar was doing the same and the sensor changed EVERYTHINGGG:)

AmyC
70

i just started having problems with my car too. i am in Austin,TX and took a trip to Corpus and after coming back, my ck engine light came on, explination in a circle symbol started flashing, the "O/D off" light also and my car is having problems when coming out of first gear. RPM's go to 5 but only when first taking off. I was told my transmission was going out and could be anyday now but now after reading several comments here, maybe it is that Transmission Range Sensor too?..geez i hope so. my car is an automatic and shifts all gears fine, just wont really catch when first taking off (first lower gear)..oh and it also has that like jumping thing going when like at a stop too.. Can ANYONE please help and advise.. thanks ..

PassionPit
90

Sounds like what happened to my car- I was driving back from a long trip and the same warnings came on in my car and it acted the same way. That exclamation sign in the circle warning has to do with your transmission. Take your car in as soon as you can. If it is the same problem, which it sounds like it is, then unfortunately it's not going to be a cheap fix.

AmyC
70

not cheap like how so? lol..what did you have to do to yours?

PassionPit
90

Like I said in my earlier post, my torque converter broke in the transmission. It cost about $2,700 to get it fixed.

Michael Pope
295

The clutches/bands are shot. Your auto trans is equipped with clutches and just like anything they wear out. A rebuild would be the resolve to this problem. It is not suggested to complete this repair on your own. The tranny must be pulled and pulled apart to include the gears to replace the clutches. Bench work only. If you do not plan on keeping the car there is a trick that will allow it to work short term for the sale. 90 wieght oil in the trans will give you additional life but will destroy the transmission and the life extension is limited to a few hundred miles.

erigais
10

I have this same problem, and if i take my foot off the break, it wont go!!! its really scary on a hill at a stop. and when it goes it jumps. let me know if changing sensor works. im going to keep looking on other sites. i noticed you last post in like sept so i hope you come back and let us know if you fixed.

january66
10

What are some common reason the battery light would flash

billijo
80

does anyone no where the transmission range sensor is located? like is it on the outside of the trans or the inside? i just started having this similar problem with mine and my father knows alot about cars so i am currious if it is on the outside so he can fix it orif it is internal?

You think this is helpful.
benhill
190

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/apjp02/2009-10-19_232624_trsensor.pdf

benhill
190

Thats how you change the sensor

Newt25
10

I had the same "rev & no-go" problems on my 1999 Cougar. I replaced the Transmission Range Sensor ($40), but it did NOT fix the problem. I'm still looking for the correct fix.

Antax
5

Have you checked your transmission fluid? And make sure the vent tube on the top of the transmission isnt stopped up. The vent tube in is just under the battery and could be attached to the battery hold down post with a clip. Some onehad took my vent tube off and stuck it straight down onto the hold down bolt stopping it up and it blew all the fluid out of the filler tube.

markyschwartyz
0

well i have a 1999 cougar i took it to some transmission place they told me that there were certain shift solenoids that weren't shifting properly so after i waited for 2 months without a car apparently they fixed it replaced parts in the transmission i dont fucking know i got the car back after paying 2000 dollars guess what fucking od sensor bs went off took the car back got it replaced transmission is worse then ever now they didnt even put the motor mounts in and i hate my life

Damian Walker
0

I have 1999 mercury cougar and when I put my car in drive and take off the rpm's go up to like 5 and doesn't shift to second does anybody have any sugestions on what sencor it may be?! It jerks if I take off in 1st shift to second then to drive idk what it is

xTiaanx
10

My girlfriend's cougar had this issue. I'm am autotech and used dealership grade all data to find a solution. Basically certain cougars have a transmission sensor- or TSS as it was listed- these sensors have not been correctly calibrated and they advised to order a new part from ford themselves with the correct calibration.

koukla2014
0

I have a 2000 Cougar and when I take off in 1st gear I barely go anywhere and the rpms go up aroun3-4k then it finally goes into 2nd gear and moves just fine. I took it to the tranny shop and they said the code it showed was a wrong ratio on 1st gear, does anyone think that having the range sensor changed would fix this problem? The transmission shop I went to said it didn't seem like it was my whole tranny going out even though my transmission fluid is dirty which is a sign that the transmission could be having problems but he said when a tranny is going out it usually slips and the rpms rev while you are driving and this is not what is happening to my car, its just a dog when first starting out. He was very honest and said he would hate to put a whole new tranny in if its not the tranny.

CrudeGoblin
0

For the people with the flashing battery light. Your alternator would be the problem. Easy do at home test turn your lights on and unhook your positive terminal on battery. you might not even need to turn on your lights.