van

jacklyn44
10

Asked by jacklyn44 Jan 22, 2013 at 01:19 AM about the 1996 Mazda MPV 4 Dr LX Passenger Van

I want to know if I can use my van toward a trade in the problem is that the people I bought the van signed the tittle and never had it registered in there name. I cant get it registered in my name because of it. what can I do?

DavidH25

You have a forged document on your hands. If at all possible, find the former owner, the one before whoever you bought it from, get a Bill of Sale from everybody, take everything to the DMV and they will advise you what to do. If it was a long period of time that they had it without changing the name on the title, all the worse...you may have to lien it, sending certified mail to the original owners. Laws vary in States, but in Calif anyway, if you submit the proper documents (and of course a fee) the DMV will give you a list of all owners, and if it's worth more than $4,000 that is even more complicated. Sorry, don't shoot the messenger but you have a real mess. You then send those certified letters to everybody involved, hopefully they will respond, then after 31 days if they don't respond you can petition the court to have it put in your name, but you will have to see a judge...all this will take months. But as for your original question, no you can not use it in a trade, legally that is, a dealer won't go near it, see if you can get your money back from whoever you bought it from and get rid of the whole thing. I know, that is a longshot. Good luck. Not sarcasm, I mean Good Luck

jacklyn44
10

thank you, I have mailed a letter to the people that owned it before and nothing ever become of it.I don't know if there still alive. it was done in north Carolina and I even went to the DMV there and they told me that theres nothing they can do. It was real stupied on our part. we only paid 600.00 for the van and it runs great. its a shame. thank you for the info. I guess I could have it shreaded that would be some money back and some money to put toward another car.

DavidH25

That was why I said you are going to end up in court, as there really is nothing the DMV can do. Send another one, Certified, and if they don't respond you can petition the court after 31 days. That is Calif anyway, I don't know if N. Carolina law is similar

Best Answer
califcarson
3,755

You could part it out. Go to a car dealer and talk to the sales/finance manager. They come across this all the time and ask for advice on what to do. I bet they will take it on a trade in. :-)

1977g10shorty
110

send a certified letter to anyone whos name is on the title if they do not respond take your certified mail receipt to an insurance company and get a bond on the vehicle its usually 10$ for every 1000 the car is worth and then the dmv should issue you a new title it just takes time.......