The A/C is blowing cold air, however it is making a loud noise when it is on and then air gets hot.

sebtig7
0

Asked by sebtig7 May 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 2 Dr Sport SUV

1998 Ford Explorer Sport

14,135

Can you tell where the noise is coming from. I would suspect the A/C compressor.

OJ
3,040

Is the loud noise coming from under the hood or from the dash?

sebtig7
0

Thanks to both of you for answering...the noise is coming from underneath the hood and as I said the air starts out cold then gets hot. It blows out fine and now it smells like something is burning or something like that....Also, now I just saw that i have a cable hanging from underneath the dash right by the accelerator and brake pedal. The cable has a yellow tip and has the following number on the metal tip "12-10, K:S". Thanks.

OJ
3,040

Keep in mind your explorer is fifteen years old. However, I have my daughter a 96 and the a/c is working fine. Sounds like the problem you are having is in the AC compressor, as that is the only moving part in the AC system besides the blower motor forcing the air into the cabin. YOu'll have to have it checked by a shop, as special tools are required to perform a/c work.

OJ
3,040

Does the blower motor work all the time? Turn the a/c off. Turn the blower to high. Do you still hear the same sound. If not, it is not the blower motor.