I cut off the catalytic converters on my 2001 Navigator and i can still see daylight through them. How do you know if you need new ones? I also changed all the coils and plugs but still losing lots of power on the slightest incline and check engine light flashes like crazy

Markuss7
10

Asked by Markuss7 Mar 10, 2013 at 05:19 PM about the 2001 Lincoln Navigator Base 4WD

How do you know if the catalytic converters need to be replaced

judge_roy

It gets chokey and will no longer remove the carbon monoxide, changing into CO2-

Markuss7
10

How do you know if they are plugged up after you remove them because i already removed mine and i can still see through them

judge_roy

well, 'plugged up' refers to impeding the flow- It's not a muffler, just a chamber for an electrochemical reaction to occur. put it back on and take it to an emissions evaluation machine, like the kind at your smog inspection station-

judge_roy

pretty hard for a person to take in carbon monoxide and turn it into carbon dioxide. That's why we need these things, so you cannot commit suicide with your exhaust as easily.

judge_roy

well the active material has apparently been burned away...perhaps by too rich or too lean a fuel mixture-

judge_roy

I can remember a Camaro came into the shop, was running like hell, and I looked underneath and the catalytic converter was cherry red! Good thing the driver did not park on some leaves-

13,175

A flashing "check engine" light means something, usually a misfire condition, is going on that is damaging your catalytic converter. You should not drive it while the light is flashing. The downstream oxygen sensor monitors the catalytic converter's performance and will set a trouble code, I believe P0420, to alert you the catalytic converter is bad. What trouble code(s) do you have? HTH. -Jim