While driving, my Aviator started shaking violently. I frantically started turning everything off and when I turned the A/C off it stopped instantly. What might cause that?

Mission7
0

Asked by Mission7 Apr 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM about the 2005 Lincoln Aviator 4 Dr STD SUV

We just had the water pump and thermostat replaced last week.  It has had regular maintenance since purchased.  Has just over 70,000 miles on it.  The noise and shaking did not occur when just the fan is turned on, only when you press the a/c button.

103,055

Almost sounds like your A/C compressor is binding up. Since you just had some work done, take it back into the shop and see if they installed everything correctly, maybe a plug or part was connected or installed properly. Most shops stand by their work.

56,785

Did the car start shaking when the A/C was first turned on or was it acting normally? It's probably something mechanical like Tom said.

Mission7
0

The air conditioner was on and it started suddenly shaking while driving. Stopped immediately when a/c was turned off.

Mission7
0

The air had been on and was working fine, started suddenly. Nothing unusual up to that point. Drove it several hundred miles after the water pump was replaced and everything had been working normally.