1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS Does Not Crank Over

Samuel Saladino

Asked by Samuel May 11, 2013 at 01:45 PM about the 1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS

.  Starter checks out good, battery good, replaced relay in fuse box.  Car was
purchased used, no remote, keys are just plain metal keys no chips apparent.  Lights
work radio work, but just won't turn over when key turned.  Waiting for manual just
ordered but he's antsy for car, so if any suggestions what else to look at.

Previous to it ending up in this condition the car had been driven home with no problem,
parked in the lot and turned off with key.  He had no hints of any problem developing.  
Next morning went out to leave, turned key and would not turn over.

I can provide you with a wiring diagram if you would like but I need to know what motor it has and I assume its automatic transmission?

Bradley Shelledy

you might want to check the terminals for corrozion

Samuel Saladino

@kbro Engine is the 2.5 Liter VIN Letter "V" and yes the Automatic Transmission. Thanks @Bradley if you're talking the battery terminals that's the first thing I did, using wire battery brush cleaned terminals and inside connectors to make sure no corrosion. Thanks for suggestion. Starter was removed from car and checked at local parts store, everything was cleaned at that end.

Bradley Shelledy

how old is the battery, if you live in an area like Arizona you'll not want to have a battery over 4 years old because it will likely not be good enough to crank the old girl over, but does it even click when you turn the key?

Samuel Saladino

The battery originally in the car when it happened, he had tried a couple of batteries from his friends cars, that were were in their cars when driven over there, removed, didn't do anything and put back in their perspective cars and driven away. I verified that happened by bringing one of my own batteries up there and trying that one without luck. I should also add the car does not turn over even when jumped from a running car with good heavy gauge jumper cables. There are no sounds whatsoever, no click(s) when turning the ignition key while attempting to start it. How often to the ignition switches go bad in these cars? My only experience with a bad ignition switch that I'veI ever had was a mechanical, not electrical failure.

Bradley Shelledy

has any one checked with a multi meter to see if there's any amps being sent from the battery when the key is turned, cuz I'm starting to think that the switch may be bad too