The brake light is on and I smell burning plastic

Sandra2011
0

Asked by Sandra2011 Nov 09, 2011 at 08:12 PM about the 2000 Hyundai Sonata GLS

I was driving my 2000 hyundai sonota gls and noticed smoke but my temp guage wasnt going up.....Soon after I noticed the brake light and the battery light on...I went to Auto Zone and know that my alternator is going bad but the guy at Auto Zone had no idea why the brake light was going on or what the plastic smell coming from the brake area was....Anyone have any idea....

Abhimanyu Bhardwaj
25

This happens pretty commonly with Hyundai cars... Try checking the fuse box.

Joe Finis Sr.
735

Actually it's not "pretty common" with Hyundai or any other car :-) Sounds like a stuck brake shoe

James Warner
1,710

since bot the brake and battery lights have come on you are losing charging voltage in the system somewhere. most likely the alternator. in my 11 years working on only hyundais(and unfortunately kia) i have never seen a melted fuse box not caused by an accident. i have however seen alot and i mean alot of alternator windingd melted.especially on the 99-01 sonata and the santa fe when it came out. the windings are coated in plastic and ust melt when the alternator stops charging. it is a very distinctive smell. have the charging system checked at a local auto parts store. that will tell you for sure