Engine light refuses o go out

Lilyvt
60

Asked by Lilyvt Apr 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT

The engine light went on and was triggered by a 'faulty' oxygen sensor.  The upstream sensor was replaced, twice
with a generic sensor, then with a hyundai sensor, the downstream sensor was also replaced twice.  The car has
been in the shop almost continuously for 3 weeks, the engine light is reset and after all the corrections to what the
code stated was wrong, after driving 25-30 miles, the engine light goes on again.  I take it in to the garage again and
it's the same code for the oxygen sensor.  It has been through 3 diagnostic machines, each one more sophisticated
than the last.  Each one says it's the oxygen sensor.  What to do now?

49,975

You connected three sensors. You can assume that they should have been good. Has anyone checked the wires that all three have been connected to?

judge_roy

black tape solution~

Lilyvt
60

Thanks for your answers, but the car needs an inspection and none of the inspection places will inspect with the engine light on and I can't afford to buy another car.

judge_roy

no, Lilyvt jokes about black tape to stop you from looking at it aside, go to one of the big auto parts stores and ask them to run a diagnostic check (for free, of course) they'll produce some numbers for us like P102 for example, then we'd have a chance of helping you~

49,975

Did anyone look at the wires? You don't need another scan for trouble codes. Typical code is code P0141 which may mean that one or more of the following has happened: open or short to ground in the wiring harness - O2 heater circuit wiring high resistance - O2 heater element resistance is high - Internal short or open in the heater element

83,555

I searched the Hyundai forums and in '01 there was a recall on the exhaust manifold, I see you have an 2002. But if you still have a CEL, others have had the same issue and it means you probably have an exhaust leak, like a rusty flex pipe. You have to remove the heat shield to really look at the manifold. This will cause air to enter the system tripping the O2's to detect an issue. Cracks are found in between the "fingers" of the manifold... like your hand "fingers". Could also be a gasket, but look for cracks. HTH's

Lilyvt
60

The upstream oxygen sensor was replaced three times (twice with after market sensors from the car parts store and one from the dealership), the downstream sensor was replaced twice, the wires were cleaned out, the flex pipe was replaced, seafoam engine cleaner was added, premium gas was used for two cycles. It has been diagnosed at four different places, each more sophisticated than the previous. It's always the same answer, the oxygen sensor code P. the engine light is reset and every time it goes on after about 25 to 30 miles of being driven. At this point, none of the garages I've even to has any idea why. BUT, the car has to be inspected to drive and it fails. The car runs great, passes all the safety tests, has had the work done to correct what was supposed to be wrong and yet still fails. This thing is making me very unhappy, besides costing a fortune.

judge_roy

sell this one and buy a Toyota, they're unparalleled in reliability~

lennondylan
85

Lilyvt: I can sympathise with you: I related your problem to my Chilean wife, she said: "Take the bulb out". Joking aside, she's probably right. If the engine is fine for oil, coolants etc, why worry about it?. This is in-built "Must Use Agency ...(wait for it) ...Experts". They are "board changers"....Not Experts. They probably know a little more than you do. I had this scenario years ago: Basically, after plugging in to the "Big Computer" it states: "Change board X" "Change sensor B".....Note...it is boards & sensors they change... FIVE MINUTE JOBS. And then they charge the earth . They DO NOT, EVER, RECTIFY an actual physical problem with your engine! For a start, they'd have to get their hands dirty So, the electronic technology is crap.....the manufacturers are responding to the sellers of their vehicles......Get the vehicles back in for maintenence....something we can charge for. Believe me: Engines these days are pretty indestructable. They have to be: Otherwise, how can you even sell more than one example of a model. ?Mmm? Electronics are fine.....but when you couple them with a desire to make money...it's a doddle to in-build "self-destruct" features.....Not the engine of course: Just the "lights" Am I making sense?

wizzbang
60

I HAVE A 2003 HYUNDAI ELANTRA THROWING A CODE PO 133. I THINK THE GUY WHO WANTS YOU TO BUY A TOYOTA HAS THE RIGHT IDEA BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE WEIRD PROBLEMS LIKE THIS, BUT I THINK I'M GOING TO CHECK THE SENSOR GROUND AND ALSO MANIFOLD AND FLEX PIPE LEAKS BECAUSE THE CAR'S ALREADY A COMEBACK AND I HAVE TO FIX IT.

wizzbang
60

ps If anyone has the real answer to code PO 133 0/2 SLOW RESPONSE IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED ALREADY PUT NEW 0/2 SENSOR

judge_roy

these heated O2 sensors DO need solid 12 volts...properly grounded for their heaters~ (a failure point)....so test the voltage for the heated sensor~

jjmtuttle

black tape? really... buy a Toyota? really... how about buy American and support americans! wow judgeroy... amazing !

judge_roy

Did I stress the importance of the GROUND, in this whole affair....what started out as a solid connection quickly becomes 'brown' power for the delicate sensors...the O2 bein' the one in trouble...that's why I suggest that you TEST the voltage at the sensor....these are actually quite a delicate affair and are quite fussy....that's why the light ain't goin' off~....power is "brown" via a bad ground....with a wire brush, you must undo the main 1/0 lug and place where it bolts and wirebrush it to assure full 300 cold crankin' amps thru there~ reset the trouble codes with a fifteen dollar scanner~

judge_roy

jjmtuttle, punch my smilin' face and send me a PM...we can talk about the air density in China and our willing policy of handing our keys to the castle, because the money men refuse to keep their money here in the US~ Detroit makes watches....no one needs a watch these days~

wizzbang
60

THANK YOU JUDGE ROY, I PLANNED ON DOING THAT AFTER THE HOLIDAYS. HOPEFULLY I CAN MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPY WITHOUT MORE MONEY BEING SPENT. I AGREE WITH YOU ON TOYOTAS, WHEN AMERICA MAKES A COMPARABLE CAR, ILL BUY ONE, BUT RIGHT NOW ALL ILL DRIVE IS TOYOTA. SINCERELY- 35 YEAR ASE MECHANIC PS- I'VE SEEN THEM ALL AND WHAT THEY DO.

wizzbang
60

as soon as i have a definite answer to this problem I will post it. hopefully it will help Hyundai owners.

judge_roy

Toyota had a NUMI facility in Fremont, for a while....Tesla bought the plant~ there was an ad where Hyundai was following a Honda and asserting their car was the same in every way except the price....well now it's time to meet the maker (or mechanic) who finds the cheap construction and short-cuts that make more work (turning the front brake rotors) is an example as the mechanic must hire a Grizzly Grinder...and run the motor to turn the rotors...they cannot be removed without taking the axles out....can speak from experience may be cheaper for you.......at first~

jjmtuttle

after reading some of your comments (fixes) and seeing your garage lol I would rather not waste my time. I just don't see it going well but I thank you for the invite... take care

judge_roy

You folks are ALL beautiful people and I wish you the happiest of holidays (no excuse for having too many sugary things to take to your tooth with a hammer and chisel)....but the body craves this chocolate...has special effects on Women....and causes one to have a HAPPY HOLIDAY~~~:)

wizzbang
60

the purpose of this forum is to find solutions to problems.not to criticize each other.thanks judge roy i dont see were jim contributes much.or is he looking for a solution i dont know.

jjmtuttle

if I cant help I don't answer... I move on no need to waste peoples time or knock there car down... the black tape remark made me read more and after reading more comments like that I did lower my self to his level and I shouldn't have. but when you Dog American products and haven't owned one for yrs maybe you should think twice. people like that are the ones that hurt ALL American brand name products. anyway Happy New Year.. and all be safe in what ever you drive.. hopefully 1 of the American big 3 lol

iroumus
5

Can one of you guys summarize what would be the steps to handling this? I have been having this problem for my 2003 for 5 years now, and the garage just resets it and I have to drive it around, but I got one of the O2 sensors fixed last year and it turned on 15 minutes after my inspection.

judge_roy

if they are three wire "heated" 02 sensors. ..this device must have a steady 12.5 volts to operate successfully~ as I have asserted already wirebrush the main 1/0 cable as it attaches to the ground and the ground too...to assure a solid connection to the chassis and components that it serves~

judge_roy

with an fifteen dollar OBD-II scanner read then RESET the Codes~

wizzbang
60

the ground is control by the ecm on that car for the o/2 looked for a exhaust leak found it was good no vacuum leaks. but the rear 0/2 heater wire was hitting .the cv axel t/b was dirty , plug gap 7grand loose maybe thats it .

Mike Lunney
10

I'm having the same problem. 2005 Elantra GT sedan. The codes are P0171, P2243 and P0133. I've bought and returned an aftermarket sensor, and yesterday bought and installed an OEM sensor. I'm in it $110 for a repair shop diagnostic and $188 for OEM sensor, which they recommended. I have an appointment to spend another $125 for a dealership diagnostic tomorrow. I have to get it smogged to get it registered (California). Where is the 1/0 lug?!?!

wizzbang
60

never figured that elantra out .sent her to the dealer figured they made it they can fix it.but if you have po171 system lean you might have a vacuum leak.

judge_roy

replace cracking and bloated butyl rubber (coal tar and chewing gum) with silicone rubber hoses...they are ten times the cost but worth every penny~

Mike Lunney
10

@wizzbang: Yeah, I've read that before. Hopefully the dealership can diagnose it correctly. I think it's either the harness, cracked manifold or vacuum leak. It does sputter sometimes on acceleration.

Sundai_Hyundai
0

Suffering owner of a 2002 money pit of questionable reliability. 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT hatch 5sp. Check engine light since day 3 of ownership (used, 155k). Front (r) axle replacement caused a TCM light to come on. Then the check engine light was run for codes: 10! My favorite was the SUPER COMMON rpm fluctuation. Up & down 1200 to 3000. Then to constant 3000. Then to constant 5000...5500! * Intake Manifold gasket!! $240 repair. Drive-able again. I bought it for 1400 and have had the recall CONTROL ARMS done after the left wheel nearly fell off! Local and low speed! I'M ALIVE! They added a subframe as well ($1500 to Hyundai Corporation) I would have taken the $1500 and a $500 "have a nice bus ride home" payment. Personally, I've invested about $2000 into the car myself. Still needs shocks. THUNK! Codes are still on. AC doesn't work. Front headlight is missing a clip: bounces at the drivers. Rear hatch supports failing. Brakes? Just plain SUCK-ASS DESIGN! Overall, the car will cost me over $3000 for a car that's not worth more than $2000 on a sunny day. And to think, I SOLD MY 98 TOYOTA T-100, SR5, extracab, auto, 4wd... for THIS? I should be in a padded room drinking from a sippy cup!