How can I find out what is wrong with my 1990 honda civic dx 1.5 four cylinder sedan

Brittney06
0

Asked by Brittney06 Mar 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM about the 1990 Honda Civic DX

The spark plugs are wet, the check ingine light came on and then the car puttered and then died, like it was not getting fuel. The car would not start unless we poured gas into the throttle body and then it would start and then putter and stop. there is over half a tank of gas in the car, and I don't know what else to do.

Michael Crews
1,275

I had the same issue with my 2000 EX. Check the distributor. It is housed in a plastic box, and over time, the seals rot and allow water inside.

Paul Matthews
1,945

Going on your description above, you are obviously getting a spark so to suspect the distributor would be doubtful. It sounds like a fuel pump problem! However I would first start by checking out the 'flash codes' on the E.C.U. This is accessed by finding the TWO pin connector NOT the Three pin connector behind the kick panel of the front passenger foot well, turn the ignition on and observe how may times the 'Check Engine' light on the dash display flashes.

Takoda Fraser
835

^i think you may be wrong paul being the plugs are wet i would think that it isint a fuel system problem but not enough spark or completly messed up valve timing so that when your intake valves open then it takes the gas with the air and in turn tries to run sorta like a two stroke but since the valve timing is off the exhaust valves dont open at the right time so they wont let the exhaust out and the pressure of the exhaust is too much for the motor to fight against and in turn dies... but that is only a theory best bet is to check what the ecu says. might say something absurdly obvious.. i have a sinking feeling that it might be your coil but also another theory