How To Fix 1994 Honda Passport 3.2 V6 Weird Startup Issue?

aharz
0

Asked by aharz Mar 20, 2013 at 08:18 PM about the 1994 Honda Passport 4 Dr LX 4WD SUV

My 94 Passport will take anywhere from 1 second upto 15-20 seconds to start, with no consistent pattern or trend. It doesn't matter if its hot outside or the engine is stone cold. The truck will always eventually start and runs great after it spits/spurts out blue/white smoke out the tailpipe for a few seconds after any long crank times. I have had the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, plug wires and coil packs replaced, yet the issue hasn't gotten resolved. My mechanic and I have no ideas anymore, and it seems like all I have done is completely waste a lot of time money and time?

7jimmy7
14,645

hold wide open on start crank.see if it helps

aharz
0

Hey 7Jimmy7, unfortunately, it makes no difference if I pump a lot of peddle or let the fuel pump prime for a while. For example, sometimes when the weather is below zero, it actually starts right up...weird.

7jimmy7
14,645

no, what im saying is hold the peddle to the metal period, at that position it cuts fuel .im thinking its flooding at times or is flooded from last shutdown from leaky injectors bleeding fuel,

aharz
0

Hello 7jimmy7, interest thought. Here's what I seemed to find out when I did some more experimenting today. Once the car starts and I turn it off, it will immediately start back up on the first crank, within 5 to 10 minutes after the initial start. If I let the car sit for much longer, the issue will usually rear its ugly head again? That is why the fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator were replaced, because my mechanic thought that the fuel pressure was bleeding off somewhere within the system. What are your thoughts?

7jimmy7
14,645

exactly bleeding thru the leaking injector or injectors .cuz you say it stumbles,smokes when it starts ,that's the load up of the fuel ,and if really bad.thinning the oil also,if a line draw back is happening .then by turning key off and on a few times will fill the lines before start crank

aharz
0

Hello 7jimmy7, thanks for the response. One final thing to consider. The past 3 days, the weather has been pretty cold in CO (0-15 degrees & snow). When I go to start the Passport in these cold temperatures for an initial start, bone cold, it will crank over instantly. Meaning, it starts easier when its cold outside vs. warm or pleasant outside, yet it will restart again instantly within 5-15 minutes thereafter, regardless of temperature. Would a bleeding fuel injector(s) account for this? What do you recommend the smartest repair effort would be for this 1994 Passport with a 3.2 L General Motors V6 ?

aharz
0

Hello 7jimmy7, if the injectors are bleeding through, would they need to be replaced or just receive a good thorough cleaning?

7jimmy7
14,645

you could try a cleaning ,only way is thru tank fuel to flow the tips, try some seafoam that's powerful cleaner. you can also get a hotter plug by a few points, one with a longer tip sticking out at the electrode ,the hell with the book on plug number ,we need to solve a problem