Gas for Honda Accord

wanzerdeb
0

Asked by wanzerdeb Feb 15, 2011 at 03:52 PM about the 1996 Honda Accord LX Coupe

I purchased my car new in 1996, I've put 89 or higher in my car.  I was told I could use 87 and I was wasting my money.  My manual said that I can use 87 or higher.  Which one would give me better mileage?  Should I switch to 87 and save a little money?  I think I would really be wasting money if use 93.  Please give me your advise.  Thanks

Zick Full
0

Use 87 you'll save more money because the engine itself is efficient enough higher octane wont help as much.

Samuel Nadeau
165

You don't need to run anything more than 87. You need higher octane when you have a high compression ratio AND OR advanced timing from being built with performance internals and parts. All the f22 accords have an 8:8:1 compression ratio. So yes wasting your money.

Jonathan Furse
1,645

Your engine will be more efficient and more powerful using 87 rather than 93. This is because the octane rating refers to the amount of an additive that causes the fuel to resist burning. So, 93 octane fuel burns slower and thus less completely than 87 octane fuel, causing loss of power and efficiency, and increased emissions.