check engine light on

buckeyefan
0

Asked by buckeyefan Sep 06, 2011 at 09:31 PM about the 1997 Honda Accord Special Edition

looking to purchase a used 1997 honda accord (125K)  The seller said the check engine light came on this summer and when they had it serviced the mechanic said there is nothing wrong;  however it will cost $450 to replace sensor.  
Should i steer clear or further pursue?  Thanks for your advice

hleig845
35

Steer clear. My honda had the check engine light on and it broke down 4 months later. If he said the mecanic said nothing was wrong then try to somehow talk to the mechanic before buying the car. But my advice would be to run far away from that.

Linda Alguire
10

I bought a new Honda Accord Sport last October....so it's a 2014. Last winter the check engine light came on and stayed on. After I took it in to the dealer for repairs they told me there is a defect in some canaster thing underneath the car, and it gets plugged with snow in winter and sand or dust in summer. He told me Honda is working on a permanent fix but it hasn't happened yet. So I have had warranty work done on my car twice now. I don't know how many more times they will fix it on warranty but this is definately not good. Something wrong with the design I guess, but just replacing the sensor is not a fix.