01 accord made loud grinding noise now car wont start * PLEASE HELP *

dustint209
0

Asked by Jul 29, 2009 at 10:47 PM about the 2001 Honda Accord DX

I was driving my 01 dx auto with 108,000 miles the other day. It was shifting just fine but the engine light was on. When the car shifted out of first it made a horrible grinding noise and the car stopped pulling. When I pulled to the side of the road the car stopped running and would not start again. I'm pretty sure the tranny needs to be replaced, but is it common for the motor to not run? I tried to start it two days later and it ran for about 2 seconds than shut off again. Could there be another problem?

Andrew Scott
35

you should get the car running first before you asume the transmision is gone. I dought the trans wont let it start, is it an automatic or standard? Most standards you would lose a gear maybe first or third but not usually all of them, if you get nothing could be clutch,release bearing, presure plate exc..you could check most of this with the car not running put in different gears and see if they are holding"let out clutch and try moving car manually"give her a push. But any shop should be abel to read the code on the engine light for about 20-40$ and tell you why its on...most hondas the light comes on due to faulty gas caps but in your case probably not.

Megan Skene
5

Did you have any fluids in your car? oil, tranny fluid, ect? try putting your car into neutral and trying to start it. Also try putting it in first gear and starting it. All in all you need to take it to a shop.

tommcmanis
6,375

If automatic remove inspection cover and try to verify all converter bolts are in and not caught between block and flywheel . If standard place car in neutral and see if it will start verify that clutch feels normal easy to press no creaking or having to use excessive pressure to get the pedal to move spring failure,or parts broken into bell housing can freeze up the engine ( parts,or bolts) caught locking flywheel or flexplate.

tommcmanis
6,375

Thus the no start