Why do all my windows roll down automatically when parked?

missygirl
25

Asked by missygirl May 04, 2008 at 09:17 AM about the 2004 Honda Accord EX V6

After parking and locking our 04 Accord we have several times returned to find all four windows down about two inches. is there something or feature about this car that I don't know about.

Keith Locke
110

The reason your windows are rolling down after you lock the vehicle is, you are holding the remote unlocking button too long when you open the car. There is a similar feature on a lot of post 1999 cars, BMW's and a lot of top of the range Fords also have this function. If you try holding the unlock button on the remote locking fob for a few seconds, then all the windows should open simultaniously and if you hold the lock button for a few seconds, then all the windows should close fully. Hope this helps

sherrycm
30

When I push my unlock button and hold it, the windows will go down automatically...maybe when you are unlocking it you are holding it down longer than you think? It is a nice way to get the hot air out of the car while you are close to it

Ghassan Emile Moubarak
75

you are accidentally opening ur car windows with the key fob by pressing unlock for 2 long or your key is really dirty and is stuck in unlock mode to reclose windows from outside you have to insert the key and turn it into the lock position and hold it there you can't close the windows with the lock button hope this helps

bm329
370

Missygirl - don't listen to the B.S. about you being the problem that the windows go down. I have an '03 Accord EX and it does the exact same thing. I took it into the dealer b/c they kept giving me the same lame excuse ...until they themselves drove it off - parked it - went back - and saw the windows were all down. I'm now told that it has to do with the driver-side door locking system - whatever that is. it's costing me about $290 to fix. I'm still fuzzy on the details, but I keep running across this question on blogs everywhere and I keep seeing the same lame excuses. I know your post is old, but I'm hoping this answer will help someone else in the future.

DUCKMAN
150

bm329 - I have the same problem with 08 accord ex; dealer thinks it has something to do with UNLOCKING the car, but that's not when it happens. It's when I've already LOCKED the car, left it, and returned t find the windows down. The dealer wants to check it out. We'll see.......

anyonecanart
40

Crap

anyonecanart
40

AlleMy 2004 Nissan pathfinder has brought joy.and fits thru out the years. Right now its sitting in the driveway with the front half covered in tarp. In the last four years or.so I've woken up to rain or snow storms and the windows had been down for HOURS!...thank god/dess for leather seats..still..the other day I drove 60miles at 4:30am to work on my dogs blankies..seriously. called Nissan..they were like"hmmmm bring it in for the cost of.your new born"..kidding...but he did say hmmmm...and let me not start on the engine light coming on at 30,000. And the small fortune I paid to never get it fixed..to never pass inspection...

anyonecanart
40

Otherwise...great vehicle..fun in the snow..and for camping...good luck out there folks...

GregRoth
40

I just found this post answering the question for my 2013 Accord. I am sorry folks, I thought you were all nuts. I went to the car which is parked just outside our den window and pushed the unlock. The second time I held it. The sunroof and all four windows went down. I am no longer a skeptic. When this happened yesterday, our neighbor saw the windows go down. He thought I was letting the hot air out before leaving. No, I was in the den and the unlock button was compressed in my pocket in my recliner. It does work for the 2006 CR-V. I tried it and nothing happened. Thanks folks.

LizV
20

I'm glad I found this post! This happened to me abiut 20 minutes ago! I thought someone, somehow, remotely opened the windows to my 2007 Honda Odyssey, to be asshole! I just came out if Costco...I was in there for only a few minutes returning something...when I came back out, all four windows are down AND IT'S RAINING!!! My hands were pretty full, and I had an umbrella, to boot, when I went in the store. I must've been holding that unlock button down and didn't realize it. I sat in my car forever trying to figure out how hat happened, b/c I know when I got out of the car, the windows were closed! The only thing wrong w/ this explanation is that after I read through these posts, I tried to do that from inside the car the windows didn't go down!

GregRoth
40

Perhaps your windows did not go down was because you were IN the car. My wife did not have her fob when she tried to enter the trunk. I tried to open from inside the car and it did not work. (Our car does not have keys exept for locking the trunk when using a valet. It has keyless start and entry.) To get the windows to go down, you push the unlock 2 times and hold the 3rd time. It works every time.

CarlosTheDwarf
80

This just happened to me too (2013 Accord). "Why would anyone break into our garage just to roll down our windows?!" Turns out a double-tap of the "Lock" button controls the window/sunroof. Crazy.

ArkArk
0

Honda Accord v6 ex-l 2009 -same thing. Accidentally kept the button down and the sun-roof and all windows started opening. Hope it wouldn't happen by itself some day in a parking lot, because otherwise it's a great car and I can forgive it some minor whims.

Wilmington
0

OMG....this has been happening to me for the past couple of days...and today it was 4 degrees outside and I was frozen because everytime I locked my car and started to walk away the stupid windows and sunroof would open...I tried it 8 times ugh !!! I thought it had something to do with my automatic start I have on the car 2009 Honda Accord...Now I'm like a crazy person I keep going outside to see if they are all down and open again ...thank god It's only a 2 door lol.... so I'm not crazy when i came online and read all your remarks lol...

dtally676
0

Yep! I have a 2010 Honda Accord! And it does the same thing! I thought my car was possessed! But I tried what was suggested above, and if I hold the unlock button on my remote too long, it rolls the windows down partially, if I press it again, it rolls them down completely! But on my remote, the lock button does not roll them back up. I'm so glad that I found my answer here instead of wasting money on a mechanic! Whew! No ghost! Lol!

David Hambleton
75

If all of what I'm reading here is true, why is there not something in the owners manual about this problem?

Theresa Gallo Colon
0

It's been happening with my Honda Ridgeline for months and couldn't figure out why until today. Pressing the unlock button a couple times roles down the windows a little at a time. Nothing in the manual about it.

dannydanile84
0

what happen if make a lowered my honda accord 08,

ArkArk
0

OK this is an extra feature they offer nowadays, it might be somewhere in the manual, I just did not find it (though I was not looking so thoroughly) just check out the link below: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/your-key-remote-can-also- roll-down-your-windows_n_1857673.html

Nearly_wet
20

Well, I've read all the explanations for why all windows on late model higher-end Hondas are found in the lowered position as well as the sun roof. That is cool if you DESIRE to lower all windows and the sun roof at one time to quickly let some cooler air replace the built-up oven heat. The very tragic lowering of the windows can accidentally happen if the unlock button is pressed a second time and held. The more tragic news is that it can NOT be disabled from an option or driver's preference setting. I have found my windows lowered on three separate occasions, once at home only minutes before it began to rain and twice when I started to depart from work. I've asked my service manager at the dealership to contact Honda to get a "factory kill" for this unwanted baptism feature. His regretful answer was; "there is no such feature or option". I now try to remember to toss my keys onto the desk and not leave them in a vulnerable place such as my pocket where an accidental opening could occur.

fothgil
10

Dido. Every service dept rep will say, "Bring your car in so we can see what's wrong." If they have never heard of this problem then they haven't been working at Honda long enough. I think that it is complete BS that they can't kill this "feature". It is a risk and should be at the customer's decision to disable. Shame!!!

Nearly_wet
20

Apparently most of the people that have mentioned that they have found their windows lowered always park in a covered area because "unwanted water" in the car was seldom, if ever mentioned, only the mystique of how the windows were lowered. There is a second concern as well in that the vehicle becomes vulnerable to someone pilfering through the console, glove box and anywhere else they desire to access. Considering both types of intrusion, I feel that Honda is being excessively callus and uncaring to a serious oversight in that they have not provided an option to disable this horrible design deficiency.

JMikeS
10

My 2013 has done this several times, but never on purpose. I walk around with my key fob in my pocket and sometimes coins, keys or other objects apparently come in contact with the unlock button. It has happened in my driveway but, so far, I haven't been caught by rain. With the prospect of rain damage that can happen I would rather have this feature disabled but that doesn't appear to be an option.

booherd
0

This happen to my 2013 Crosstour last night! We had a very heavy thunderstorm and came out to the garage this morning to find the windows down and the sunroof open. We were horrified - thought our car had been broken into inside the locked garage. Once logic returned, we thought that the intense lightning had somehow messed with the electronics and opened the windows. Just tested the key fob and sure enough, everything opened. However the lock button does not close anything. Just happy to have the mystery solved!

Honda_Owner
0

Same thing happened to me today for about the third or fourth time. I have a 2013 Honda Accord. I love the car except for this one flaw in design. I stopped at the service center where I bought the car and the serviceman stated that it is not a flaw, but that I just need to be more careful in the future. At that point, I knew I was getting nowhere and I needed to solve the problem myself. So I thought hard and came up with a solution. I figured if I put the remote key in a plastic box, it would prevent an accidental opening. I used an old hearing aid box for my key and an old earring box for my wife's key.

David Hambleton
75

obviously Hondas do not relock themselves after 30 or 45 seconds.

JMikeS
10

Obviously mine does relock itself. I experimented several times, even laid my keys down on a table to make sure I didn't do it. Heard it lock itself every time. Checked doors. They were definitely locked.

David Hambleton
75

Thank you JMikeS. most new cars will relock themselves in 30 or 45 seconds. Some owner manuals do not explain this feature.

alanthonyk
0

This is all bs about the remote. People are sayingg that when they get back to their cars that the windows and sunroof are down. Not the windows are going down when they try to unlock the doors. It happened to my 2014 accord last night and we had severe thunderstorms. So my car was drenched. I have the no key start up remote which I don't use the remote manually. I keep it in my purse so the only thing I do to get in my car is pull the handle and when I want to lock it, I use the black button on the door as well. I've tried getting in my car while my daughter has my purse and she's by the trunk of the car and the door will not open nor will it let me lock the door. So how is it the the remote open the windows and roof from inside a house, store, building etc. You have to be a certain feet in order for the remote to work. This is a manufacturer issue and the matter should be addressed for a recall. I know personally that my remote didn't open those windows. Honda need to be held accountable for this issue. I've researched this issue and Acura is having the same problem. Anybody have any ideas to hold Honda accountable?