passenger door not locking or unlocking

Ashly Roberts

Asked by Ashly Dec 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM about the 2005 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe

Any ideas on why my passenger door won't lock? I noticed it yesterday and then again this morning..... Thanks!

Joe Finis Sr.

Power locks or manual? Either way it's probably a small nylon or plastic connector broken inside the door in the mechanism. $1.00 part but could be $$$ labor if you aren't careful where you bring it to be fixed.

Ashly Roberts

They are power locks. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. :-) Is there somewhere online that shows how the door works? I just ordered the Haynes book (the book my dad buys on all of our vehicles....) Will that show us the parts to the door? And is there a way to get it tested to make sure it isn't something else? I noticed a clicking/knocking noise when I turn left on really cold mornings too. I just bought the car (3rd owner) in February... My first car, so I am learning as I go. Thanks for all your help! God Bless

Joe Finis Sr.

The Haynes manual should show a breakdown of the door and window mechanisms, along with instructions on how to disassemble them. Does the passenger side power lock switch not work, or the driver's control, or both? It could be a switch, or the motor, or a mechanical issue.

Ashly Roberts

The lock works sometimes, and then others it doesn't. It half hardly works with the keyless entry, but I get I'd say 75% usage out of the controls. Thought maybe I'd caught it early enough to fix it before it gets worse. :-)

Joe Finis Sr.

If it's intermittent no matter whether you use the switch on the passenger door, the switch on the driver's door, or the remote, then it's most likely either the solenoid (inside the door) or a mechanical rod/connector (inside the door) and not the switch(es). That's about as much as you can narrow it down without puling off the inside door panel and doing a visual inspection that should let you see the problem as you work the mechanism.

Ashly Roberts

Would that affect the passenger window not always working too? I am starting to think that the problem is in the driver's side door. Just have to find someone that will take pity on me and take a look at it :-) Thanks so much, and Merry Christmas.

Joe Finis Sr.

Probably not, the window and lock mechanisms have little or nothing in common mechanically or electrically. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have 2 separate issues causing 2 separate problems. The good news is Honda are (usually) not too expensive as far as parts and it's not hard to find a mechanic who hasn't worked on a Honda either. Happy Holidays!

Ashly Roberts

Thank you very much. :-) Hopefully my book will be here soon so dad and I can see if we can narrow it down! :-)

Power door lock module they get dirty and sticks causing it to unlock on its own.

The master switch on the drivers Door could be bad on the window issue inside the debts door there is a relay box that runs all power windows.