transmission problem for gmc envoy 2004

amador
55

Asked by amador Oct 20, 2007 at 09:00 AM about the 2004 GMC Envoy 4 Dr SLE SUV

Please advise me regarding my problem. My car doesnt shift to higher gear. it stuck to 80kph and does not make any faster than 80kph. Normal city driving is very smooth within 60-70 kph but when it come to 80 kph the rpm come high as much as 4000rpm and it is whining sounds not shifting gear it seems.

It was happen when I drive to enter in the superhighway from service road and then suddenly the rpm whine and up to 4000 rpm but the speed stay to less than 80kph.

Please advise me what is the trouble. My car is GMC Envoy model 2004 with now 90,000km.
I was changed the automatic transmission oil and filter kit last 40,000km.

31,715

Sounds like a transmission solenoid or possibly a fluid pressure issue from the front pump. It could also be an output speed sensor. I would suggest having this diagnosed by a competent mechanic or dealership as it's almost impossible to pinpoint a transmission problem in a newer vehicle without running a few tests.

amador
55

Dear Littlehorn, Thank you very much for your valuable advise. I checked in the dealership in regards of my car problem, they opened the transmission pan and found out the murky transmission oil with powdery substance. I am so frustrated because it will cost me 300KD in local garage and If I bring it to AC DELCO dealership it will cost me a whooping around 700KD X 3.5 US dollar = 2,450 US Dollars The mechanics told me that this is the usual trouble of GMC envoy. It is hard to believed that while I am taking good regular maintenance for transmission/etc...care for the car still I got the trouble and the fact that is still low mileage car of 90,000 km 2004 model ...I think it just another reason not to buy anymore the GMC brand. This is what I feel now with the GMC envoy. My friend have Ford Focus which is another American Car, same trouble transmission problem. His car is only 2003 model. Same comment what he got from all his mechanic friend...american car is always having trouble with transmission...or maybe I am or he is wrong...but everyone is entitled of opinion. Thank you Littlehorn for your time. :)

PreciousGemini
40

I just had the same problem with my car. Going 40mph my rpm was at 4000, it cost me $3200 at my GMC dealer ship. Because I'm a woman they never did explain to me what caused the problem, but I called other transmission places to replace my transmission and they gave me quotes no highter than $1800 for the whole transmission. When I called my dealership and told him I was going to use someone else, he told me the for the 3 hours of labor the take the transmission apart was already $900+$200 to get a tow truck to move it and $1800 for the transmission=$3000. I was screwed over by my dealership. I don't know anyone other than a lawyer who makes $300 per hour.