Maximum speed of 4 speed manual transmition colt

Jim_Murphy
0

Asked by Jim_Murphy Jan 03, 2007 at 05:17 PM about the 1992 Dodge Colt 2 Dr STD Hatchback

Can you tell me what the maximum speed is for a 1992 4 speed manual transmition colt is.  I was pulled over by a police officer who claimed to have clocked me at 89 miles per hour. I have never been able to get passed about 74 in my car. In fact, I am needing to shift into 4th gear at about 35 mph. The 74 was down hill with a load.
                              Jim Murphy
                               jpmurpy37@yahoo.com

11,405

Hello, I'm sorry, I don't think there is a max speed for a car. There is certainly a maximum speed that the odometer is set to, but cars can be made to go faster or slower by tuning. Also, the weight and momentum of the car (as you wrote about going downhill) can have a large effect. At the same time, it is a little hard to believe that the Colt could get up to 89 mph while weighed down. I would definitely fight this ticket. I would incorporate weight of the car and maximum speedometer into your argument. Best of luck! CarGrrl