I have a '94 Dodge Dakota with about 190,000 miles on it.

Paithar
25

Asked by Paithar Oct 23, 2007 at 09:08 AM about the 1994 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr SLT 4WD Extended Cab SB

The truck is getting up there in miles and actually has a few problems but the most troubling at the moment is this.  I drive 75 miles one way to work every day.  Needless to say, once I'm close to work the truck is good and warmed up.  Well, even though it's warmed up, after driving for a while, if I stop at a stop sign or stop light when I start going again the truck either dies or, if it doesn't die, it barely putters through intersection.  Even when it finishes puttering, which only lasts for the span of an intersection, it takes it quite a while to get up-to-speed if you know what I mean.  Could a tuneup solve this problem?  It's really annoying when you're sitting at a stop light and there are 6 or 7 cars behind you and your vehicle dies or barely moves along.

dvigano
8,705

You could have some serious problems with this truck. However, start with the smaller, more inexpensive items and work your way up the food chain (so to speak). I would definitely get a tuneup and fast. The list of parts to replace should be as follows: oil, oil filter, cap, rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, timing belt/chain, air filter, fuel pressure regulator. If these don't yield the desired results I would recommend these parts: ignition coil, fuel injectors, oxygen sensors, and egr valve. Once these parts have been replaced I would then check the timing, idle and "Check Engine" light. Good luck!

papa

i would gut the cats and install new muffler first i agree with oxygen sensor and fuel filter.

Paithar
25

Hello! I plan to get a tuneup either this coming weekend or the next. I did try something that I really thought wouldn't yield much in the way of results but I was a little bit surprised. When I filled up the tank the last time I also put in some fuel injector cleaner. Although this didn't clear up any problems completely it did make the truck not seem like it was going to die. Don't get me wrong, it still putters after stopping like mentioned but the puttering is not quite so bad and since I did this it hasn't died on me. Thanks for the info though. This is my one and only vehicle to get me to work and so I have to do what I can to keep it going.

papa

if that the case bet you have been runing regular gas try a couple tanks of preimun also add the injection cleaner could just be cloged injectors. if works run 89 oct.

jamas12008
20

Regularly running a fuel system cleaner is one of the best things you can do for any vehicle.