dodge dakota idling and dying

havoc_33
120

Asked by havoc_33 Apr 12, 2011 at 09:21 PM about the 1994 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr STD Extended Cab SB

My dakota will start then idle down and die.  I can pump the gas and it will stay running but if i hold the peddle down or let off it will die.  I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the idle air control valve.  could it be the map sensor or
o2 that is causing this please help.

98DAK
1,845

I have had the same problem, and this corrected it. Remove the air breather cover, and look on the driver side of the throttle body. There is a Throttle position sensor there. Use 2 torx bits to remove it. Once removed, you will see a round piece on the inside part of it. This is a little wheel under slight tension. Very carefully using a flathead screwdriver, turn the wheel and let it snap back a few times, then reinstall. This takes about 5 minutes to do, and it has worked for me. Please award points if this helps

Samantha Brown
155

That didn't help my truck. I have replaced the crank sensor, mass air flow, tps, fuel/air sensor, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and wires. She still shuts off. I could be driving along and it is like someone took the motor out of her.... she will just die. lately when first starting she will roll over then die.... Not sure what else to do with it...

Dan Connell
5,355

check your catalytic converter it may be plugged, also you could check the map sensor

Samantha Brown
155

I found out the it is the computer telling the auto shut down relay to shut down. Now to figure out why the computer is telling it to shut down.... a mechanic friend said it could be the distributor shaft 99% or it is the relay fuse 1%. I wouldn't be lucky enough to be in that 1% though.

havoc_33
120

thanks but it was the fuel injectors they where clogged.

havoc_33
120

you can try and check your fuel injectors and your IAC valve it is an easy fix if its the problem

Samantha Brown
155

Thanks! Sorry to hijack your thread. All fuel seems fine. Got a reading from an OBD1 and egr, crank sensor and a/c clutch came up. Replaced the second crank sensor and she worked fine until this morning, drove 18kms and she shut off again. After sitting for 30 minutes she started right up and made the drive back home with no problems... Gonna check for ground wires under the pan hopefully my problem is there LOL

havoc_33
120

Yeah it sounds like and electrical problem.

Steve Kleinhans
255

clean the throttle body and throttle plates the engine is not getting enough air. After you clean it disconect the battery for 5 minutes re connect and start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes then drive it and the problem should be gone

Steve Kleinhans
255

fuel pump

havoc_33
120

changed fuel pump already. How hard is it to change the fuel injectors can I do it myself.

audresj1187
50

this truck is a pain i n the ass

lanyardledyard
10

my '03 dakota with a 3.9 V-6 started to die at idle. Guess what the issue was? the muffler was shot.

redbeard9
50

my 97 dakota sport will run fine one day and not the next .. ill be driving and it will die and sometimes if it keeps rolling it will kick its self back on it or it wont and sometimes it starts right back up sometimes not i replaced the coil in it and all plugs and wires still no change and if it turns off i smell gas idk if its becuase its getting to much gas and chokes it or not enough ...or if its the caytalic converter clogging it up it sometimes back fires a lil either in out the air intake or tail pipe ..so i think its either not getting the gas or cant get out the fumes let me know what you think or if its something completely different

lanyardledyard
10

you know what fixed mine? the muffler was going bad and I had the new one on hand. Some forum somewhere said to put the new muffler in and it cleared up the problem completely. Thanks for your reply.

Mongoose82
50

I have a 1992 dodge dakota that dies on me at stop signs and when I take my foot off the gas pedal. A gas cured my problem

Mongoose82
50

*gas filter*

Christopher Elstun
25

You might have water in your fuel use some gas treatment in it

Jupipi
30

My dakota 97 is very acceleration alrealy put a new idle sensor still the same all the sensor fine what is the problem I need somebody to tell me what to do

livinsloher
10

my 2002 dodge Dakota was starting however gas fuel gauge was showing empty and then would die out then I would wait a little while and it would start then would go for a little bit and die out so when I was told the fuel pump I was wondering why that would affect the gas gauge so I decided to go under hood and found the relay sensor for the fuel and pulled it out cleaned it and pushed it back in and now its starting again easy... however I am going to get a new one as I want to make sure this does not happen again

kingharris15
20

My 94 dodge Dakota does the same thing, it dies randomly when I am driving, completely shuts off. It also dies if I start it and let it sit for too long. I replaced the spark plugs but that didn't fix anything not sure what it is at this point.

palmcovegm
10

Had the same problem with my 98 Dakota. It was just the Negative battery end. For some reason when the cable end is not clean and tight it will not idle.

Mike Coleman Jr.
10

Idle air control valve its on backside of throttle body take out and clean it or replace only 38 bucks at auto my 92 had the same problem