dodge dakota idling and dying

havoc_33
170

Asked by havoc_33 Apr 12, 2011 at 09:21 PM about the 1994 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr STD Extended Cab SB

My dakota will start then idle down and die.  I can pump the gas and it will stay running but if i hold the peddle down or let off it will die.  I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the idle air control valve.  could it be the map sensor or
o2 that is causing this please help.

98DAK
1,965

I have had the same problem, and this corrected it. Remove the air breather cover, and look on the driver side of the throttle body. There is a Throttle position sensor there. Use 2 torx bits to remove it. Once removed, you will see a round piece on the inside part of it. This is a little wheel under slight tension. Very carefully using a flathead screwdriver, turn the wheel and let it snap back a few times, then reinstall. This takes about 5 minutes to do, and it has worked for me. Please award points if this helps

Samantha Brown
265

That didn't help my truck. I have replaced the crank sensor, mass air flow, tps, fuel/air sensor, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and wires. She still shuts off. I could be driving along and it is like someone took the motor out of her.... she will just die. lately when first starting she will roll over then die.... Not sure what else to do with it...

Dan Connell
5,955

check your catalytic converter it may be plugged, also you could check the map sensor

Samantha Brown
265

I found out the it is the computer telling the auto shut down relay to shut down. Now to figure out why the computer is telling it to shut down.... a mechanic friend said it could be the distributor shaft 99% or it is the relay fuse 1%. I wouldn't be lucky enough to be in that 1% though.

havoc_33
170

thanks but it was the fuel injectors they where clogged.

havoc_33
170

you can try and check your fuel injectors and your IAC valve it is an easy fix if its the problem

Samantha Brown
265

Thanks! Sorry to hijack your thread. All fuel seems fine. Got a reading from an OBD1 and egr, crank sensor and a/c clutch came up. Replaced the second crank sensor and she worked fine until this morning, drove 18kms and she shut off again. After sitting for 30 minutes she started right up and made the drive back home with no problems... Gonna check for ground wires under the pan hopefully my problem is there LOL

havoc_33
170

Yeah it sounds like and electrical problem.

Steve Kleinhans
285

clean the throttle body and throttle plates the engine is not getting enough air. After you clean it disconect the battery for 5 minutes re connect and start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes then drive it and the problem should be gone

Steve Kleinhans
285

fuel pump

havoc_33
170

changed fuel pump already. How hard is it to change the fuel injectors can I do it myself.

audresj1187
70

this truck is a pain i n the ass

lanyardledyard
50

my '03 dakota with a 3.9 V-6 started to die at idle. Guess what the issue was? the muffler was shot.

redbeard9
70

my 97 dakota sport will run fine one day and not the next .. ill be driving and it will die and sometimes if it keeps rolling it will kick its self back on it or it wont and sometimes it starts right back up sometimes not i replaced the coil in it and all plugs and wires still no change and if it turns off i smell gas idk if its becuase its getting to much gas and chokes it or not enough ...or if its the caytalic converter clogging it up it sometimes back fires a lil either in out the air intake or tail pipe ..so i think its either not getting the gas or cant get out the fumes let me know what you think or if its something completely different

lanyardledyard
50

you know what fixed mine? the muffler was going bad and I had the new one on hand. Some forum somewhere said to put the new muffler in and it cleared up the problem completely. Thanks for your reply.

Mongoose82
110

I have a 1992 dodge dakota that dies on me at stop signs and when I take my foot off the gas pedal. A gas cured my problem

Mongoose82
110

*gas filter*

Christopher Elstun
35

You might have water in your fuel use some gas treatment in it

Jupipi
50

My dakota 97 is very acceleration alrealy put a new idle sensor still the same all the sensor fine what is the problem I need somebody to tell me what to do

livinsloher
10

my 2002 dodge Dakota was starting however gas fuel gauge was showing empty and then would die out then I would wait a little while and it would start then would go for a little bit and die out so when I was told the fuel pump I was wondering why that would affect the gas gauge so I decided to go under hood and found the relay sensor for the fuel and pulled it out cleaned it and pushed it back in and now its starting again easy... however I am going to get a new one as I want to make sure this does not happen again

kingharris15
50

My 94 dodge Dakota does the same thing, it dies randomly when I am driving, completely shuts off. It also dies if I start it and let it sit for too long. I replaced the spark plugs but that didn't fix anything not sure what it is at this point.

palmcovegm
20

Had the same problem with my 98 Dakota. It was just the Negative battery end. For some reason when the cable end is not clean and tight it will not idle.

Mike Coleman Jr.
10

Idle air control valve its on backside of throttle body take out and clean it or replace only 38 bucks at auto my 92 had the same problem

z28phenom
0

My 99 Dakota sport 5.2 V8 has had a fuel issue. When its in idle it likes to die from time to time. When I am driving it sometimes will not go. I'll give it gas and the rpms just go down, almost seems like its a misfire. I've had the truck for like 3 weeks now and I bought it from a friend and we always worked on it. We replaced abunch of parts including spark plugs. I took a tester to it and an o2 sensor and speed sensor came up. Should this resolve my issue?

z28phenom
0

Fuel pump was also replaced. Its causing me to burn major gas and I cant afford that because I'm laid off right now from my main job.

Bigoven
10

2003 dodge Dakota, I had the same problem. It was my idler not being controlled properly. Quick free fix. Unhook your battery for a about 10-20 seconds, let everything reset and he idle right again. Only downfall was if the truck ever ran the battery down it would take a couple of resets after the jump to get it idling properly again.

ryanodhrty
10

I have a 2000 3.9 manual 4x4 that dies when i press in the clutch while braking and let the rpms drop completely down. for example coming to a red light in third so i hit the clutch and come to a complete stop and its now dead the weird part is that no lights turn off, its not like it stalls out or anything the engine just shuts down. This started only today after my brake light and ABS light came on with my speedometer doing absolutely nothing. the brake/abs light and speedo i think are from the speed abs speed sensor in the rear but would that cause the motor to die like that??

viper2max
0

1993 Dakota 3.9 4x2 manual. Dies occasionally also, just like ryanodhrty's (for example coming to a red light in third so i hit the clutch and come to a complete stop and its now dead the weird part is that no lights turn off, its not like it stalls out or anything the engine just shuts down). Haven't been able to figure it out for 3 years. Ground connections, speed sensor or fuel injectors are my current guesses?? I've fixed the corroded splice problem (wiring harness, driver side, splice C26, http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/2m2k3-1992-dodge- dakota-2wd-v6-auto-will-not-start-crank.html ) once, so I don't think it is that, but it may be failing again or a different splice.

whymedodge
0

been thry it all. replaced pcm..tcm..and still dont work, while the check enging light is on the truck runs great.... as soon as it learns the pcm light will go off and truck pops..misses and runs like crap and wont stay on unless i give it gas, been to dealer now 3 times paying over 500.00 for them to tell me what i already know... pcm fail to comunicate.. why.. its new and replaced now 3 times?

lanyardledyard
50

all I know is that the problem in my '03 2.5 liter engine was fixed when I replaced the exhaust system. prior to that it would occasionally miss climbing hills, and would die at idle. Another issue was that (duh) the battery connection got crudded up. clean it up so that a full jolt of voltage is delivered to the computer. I cannot overemphasize this point. Go buy a battery brush and make those connections shine!!

Gmarquis90
25

I was having some similar issues like this myself. I believe I found the fix (at least for my 97 5.2 Dakota). I replaced the battery. Ran fine for about a year, then started stalling at low rpms again. Took the battery back and exchanged it for a new one, but this time I replaced the alternator with it. It seems these trucks rely heavily on the charging system. I teplaced those both at the same time last November and haven't had any issues yet. Before that, I changed plugs & wires, cap & rotor, throttle positioning sensor, idle air control module, air filter, and no longer have a catalytic converter, so the battery and alternator were the last and final things I tried and it seemed to do the trick! Hope this helps!