dodge dakota idling and dying

havoc_33
290

Asked by havoc_33 Apr 12, 2011 at 09:21 PM about the 1994 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr STD Extended Cab SB

My dakota will start then idle down and die.  I can pump the gas and it will stay running but if i hold the peddle down or let off it will die.  I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the idle air control valve.  could it be the map sensor or
o2 that is causing this please help.

Samantha Brown
485

That didn't help my truck. I have replaced the crank sensor, mass air flow, tps, fuel/air sensor, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and wires. She still shuts off. I could be driving along and it is like someone took the motor out of her.... she will just die. lately when first starting she will roll over then die.... Not sure what else to do with it...

Dan Connell
7,655

check your catalytic converter it may be plugged, also you could check the map sensor

Samantha Brown
485

I found out the it is the computer telling the auto shut down relay to shut down. Now to figure out why the computer is telling it to shut down.... a mechanic friend said it could be the distributor shaft 99% or it is the relay fuse 1%. I wouldn't be lucky enough to be in that 1% though.

havoc_33
290

thanks but it was the fuel injectors they where clogged.

havoc_33
290

you can try and check your fuel injectors and your IAC valve it is an easy fix if its the problem

Samantha Brown
485

Thanks! Sorry to hijack your thread. All fuel seems fine. Got a reading from an OBD1 and egr, crank sensor and a/c clutch came up. Replaced the second crank sensor and she worked fine until this morning, drove 18kms and she shut off again. After sitting for 30 minutes she started right up and made the drive back home with no problems... Gonna check for ground wires under the pan hopefully my problem is there LOL

havoc_33
290

Yeah it sounds like and electrical problem.

Steve Kleinhans
375

clean the throttle body and throttle plates the engine is not getting enough air. After you clean it disconect the battery for 5 minutes re connect and start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes then drive it and the problem should be gone

Steve Kleinhans
375

fuel pump

havoc_33
290

changed fuel pump already. How hard is it to change the fuel injectors can I do it myself.

audresj1187
110

this truck is a pain i n the ass

lanyardledyard
130

my '03 dakota with a 3.9 V-6 started to die at idle. Guess what the issue was? the muffler was shot.

redbeard9
160

my 97 dakota sport will run fine one day and not the next .. ill be driving and it will die and sometimes if it keeps rolling it will kick its self back on it or it wont and sometimes it starts right back up sometimes not i replaced the coil in it and all plugs and wires still no change and if it turns off i smell gas idk if its becuase its getting to much gas and chokes it or not enough ...or if its the caytalic converter clogging it up it sometimes back fires a lil either in out the air intake or tail pipe ..so i think its either not getting the gas or cant get out the fumes let me know what you think or if its something completely different

lanyardledyard
130

you know what fixed mine? the muffler was going bad and I had the new one on hand. Some forum somewhere said to put the new muffler in and it cleared up the problem completely. Thanks for your reply.

Mongoose82
230

I have a 1992 dodge dakota that dies on me at stop signs and when I take my foot off the gas pedal. A gas cured my problem

Mongoose82
230

*gas filter*

Christopher Elstun
55

You might have water in your fuel use some gas treatment in it

Jupipi
140

My dakota 97 is very acceleration alrealy put a new idle sensor still the same all the sensor fine what is the problem I need somebody to tell me what to do

livinsloher
40

my 2002 dodge Dakota was starting however gas fuel gauge was showing empty and then would die out then I would wait a little while and it would start then would go for a little bit and die out so when I was told the fuel pump I was wondering why that would affect the gas gauge so I decided to go under hood and found the relay sensor for the fuel and pulled it out cleaned it and pushed it back in and now its starting again easy... however I am going to get a new one as I want to make sure this does not happen again

kingharris15
120

My 94 dodge Dakota does the same thing, it dies randomly when I am driving, completely shuts off. It also dies if I start it and let it sit for too long. I replaced the spark plugs but that didn't fix anything not sure what it is at this point.

palmcovegm
50

Had the same problem with my 98 Dakota. It was just the Negative battery end. For some reason when the cable end is not clean and tight it will not idle.

Mike Coleman Jr.
50

Idle air control valve its on backside of throttle body take out and clean it or replace only 38 bucks at auto my 92 had the same problem

z28phenom
30

My 99 Dakota sport 5.2 V8 has had a fuel issue. When its in idle it likes to die from time to time. When I am driving it sometimes will not go. I'll give it gas and the rpms just go down, almost seems like its a misfire. I've had the truck for like 3 weeks now and I bought it from a friend and we always worked on it. We replaced abunch of parts including spark plugs. I took a tester to it and an o2 sensor and speed sensor came up. Should this resolve my issue?

z28phenom
30

Fuel pump was also replaced. Its causing me to burn major gas and I cant afford that because I'm laid off right now from my main job.

Bigoven
20

2003 dodge Dakota, I had the same problem. It was my idler not being controlled properly. Quick free fix. Unhook your battery for a about 10-20 seconds, let everything reset and he idle right again. Only downfall was if the truck ever ran the battery down it would take a couple of resets after the jump to get it idling properly again.

ryanodhrty
60

I have a 2000 3.9 manual 4x4 that dies when i press in the clutch while braking and let the rpms drop completely down. for example coming to a red light in third so i hit the clutch and come to a complete stop and its now dead the weird part is that no lights turn off, its not like it stalls out or anything the engine just shuts down. This started only today after my brake light and ABS light came on with my speedometer doing absolutely nothing. the brake/abs light and speedo i think are from the speed abs speed sensor in the rear but would that cause the motor to die like that??

viper2max
20

1993 Dakota 3.9 4x2 manual. Dies occasionally also, just like ryanodhrty's (for example coming to a red light in third so i hit the clutch and come to a complete stop and its now dead the weird part is that no lights turn off, its not like it stalls out or anything the engine just shuts down). Haven't been able to figure it out for 3 years. Ground connections, speed sensor or fuel injectors are my current guesses?? I've fixed the corroded splice problem (wiring harness, driver side, splice C26, http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/2m2k3-1992-dodge- dakota-2wd-v6-auto-will-not-start-crank.html ) once, so I don't think it is that, but it may be failing again or a different splice.

whymedodge
10

been thry it all. replaced pcm..tcm..and still dont work, while the check enging light is on the truck runs great.... as soon as it learns the pcm light will go off and truck pops..misses and runs like crap and wont stay on unless i give it gas, been to dealer now 3 times paying over 500.00 for them to tell me what i already know... pcm fail to comunicate.. why.. its new and replaced now 3 times?

lanyardledyard
130

all I know is that the problem in my '03 2.5 liter engine was fixed when I replaced the exhaust system. prior to that it would occasionally miss climbing hills, and would die at idle. Another issue was that (duh) the battery connection got crudded up. clean it up so that a full jolt of voltage is delivered to the computer. I cannot overemphasize this point. Go buy a battery brush and make those connections shine!!

Gmarquis90
45

I was having some similar issues like this myself. I believe I found the fix (at least for my 97 5.2 Dakota). I replaced the battery. Ran fine for about a year, then started stalling at low rpms again. Took the battery back and exchanged it for a new one, but this time I replaced the alternator with it. It seems these trucks rely heavily on the charging system. I teplaced those both at the same time last November and haven't had any issues yet. Before that, I changed plugs & wires, cap & rotor, throttle positioning sensor, idle air control module, air filter, and no longer have a catalytic converter, so the battery and alternator were the last and final things I tried and it seemed to do the trick! Hope this helps!

Seth Brown
10

Its some simple shit that has to do with the fuel distribution..n ppl that know about cars don't care enuff to let u know the simple things if its not lucrative for them.. They're worse than doctors n almost as bad as cops

dildo
40

I have no answer. I need to know why my gas gauge reads empty when there is 3/4 tank of gas. It was running (idling), then died. It will turn over, but won't start now

mustlx90
65

Hello all !! I had a similar problem with my '97 V6 Dakota. My battery was over 7 years old. It really didn't seem to have a problem cranking the engine over. But over the last month it would start fine in the morning. I would run it around a little and shut it down. When I would go to restart it, it would crank over, run for a second and die. I would have to feather the gas pedal to keep it running. One cold morning the battery barely cranked the engine over. I got it going, ran it to the store and bought a battery. It's been fine ever since. I had read other forums from people with the same problem. Changing the battery cured their problem and mine as well

Kayla Reed
20

Mine done same thing. I replaced the idol control censor it still done it but as I kept looking and reading I found specs on the I.c.censor found out it came set wrong. It suppose to be set between 1 inch and 1 1/3 inch away from the body of censor mine came set at 1 1/2 inch away I set it to 1 inch and have not had a problem since. Hope this helps. I went 2 years not knowing so glad it's fixed now. Even putting it on a computer couldn't find the problem.

moparbilly1
20

I have a 1993 Dodge dakota and it would idle rough , shake and act like it was missing. I already replaced all the sensors on the whole motor and it did not fix it. i was tinkering around with it and unplugged the number 1 fuel injector and it would run fine on 7 cylanders but if you plug it in it would kill the motor. The injector is good i tested it so i splice into the other injector and it run fine no more problems but now my engin light wont go off cause i cut into injector curcuit. I wish i knew why the number 1 injector wires shut down my truck?

Matt King
10

My 2000 Dakota 4.7 is doing some weird stuff. When it's cold it starts/runs without issue. Once it warms up the RPM's raise to around 14-1500 and stay there when in park or neutral, then drop to normal levels when I shift to drive or reverse. If I turn the truck off then restart it it acts like it's not getting fuel unless I give it gas. It also sometimes stall when in drive at stop lights unless I hold down the gas pedal. If anyone can help let me know.

98DAK
2,265

I have had the same problem, and this corrected it. Remove the air breather cover, and look on the driver side of the throttle body. There is a Throttle position sensor there. Use 2 torx bits to remove it. Once removed, you will see a round piece on the inside part of it. This is a little wheel under slight tension. Very carefully using a flathead screwdriver, turn the wheel and let it snap back a few times, then reinstall. This takes about 5 minutes to do, and it has worked for me. Please award points if this helps

Kasaundra Trail
10

I can start my truck once a day and it will run about 15 to 20 seconds then die don't matter if I floor it or pat the gas it just dies fuel pump works and I replaced the fuel filter but if I try and crank it the second time it won't start up it turns over and all just won't start and run could the injectors be clogged and if so would I be able to clean them myself and put new o rings on besides paying 300$ for all 6 injectors? Or could it be another problem? Please help

eltoroloco2
30

Hi everyone . I have a 97dodge dakota sport with a 3.9and also had a similar problem ,I replace plugs,wires,solenoid rotor button,distributor cap,check my fuel pump and filter,and also replace the crank shaft position senser still nothing,until one day it won't start at all and I was able to troubleshoot my spark,it was my computer not sending the signol out to injectors and coil,got a new one and it's benn running perfect for about 3 months ,put in about 4000miles in it on 3months and now I have a problem with ,in morning it will start just fine some times it would dye with in a 5minutes time and sometimes it won't but what happens then it's the as I'm driving it it will hasitate a little and my fuel gauge will show that I'm out of gas or the gas gauge will fluctuate open and down and my rpmr Will go up and down also like it's going to die even if it doesn't die completely and if it die completely I let it sit for a minute or 2 and it will start right back ,normally it would do it only once in a trip,long trip or a short trip or sometimes she just does it ones day. And That's my probleblem. Now I'm wondering if is my a fuel pump Or my fuel pump relay,any suggestions??

dmrwesson
40

My son has a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport and when we bought it the idol was high. Well we bought a new battery and the idol went to normal. Now it will shut off going down the road or at a stop sing or red light. Sometimes if you wait 5 mins it will crank right back up but most of the time you have to wait a long time until the motor completely cools off then it will crank up and drive fine. My son always has problems in the evening time coming home from work. About 2 or 3 times a week this happens it will not jump off. The engine will turn over but will not crank like the battery is dead but it has a new battery. We have replaced the battery again the crankshaft sensor and another sensor I can't remember that one. The problem was fine for about 2 weeks now the same thing is happening again. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME TO KEEP WASTING SO MUCH MONEY. donna_wesson2002@yahoo.com

Doug Carr
0

Have a '97 Dakota SLT with a slew of problems. Usual sloppy steering and crappy tranny performance that most dodge trucks have. But reading down this list of posts from everyone, I can see a possible, if not, probable, cause for the majority of these problems. My dakota also has computer problems, battery problems, sensors not working problems, weak brake and backup lights, etc. Basically... electrical problems. I received an Associates degree in Electronic technology years ago, and I'm going to give you a $24,000 education in one quick shot. Here you go... 99% of electrical and electronics problems are caused by the POWER SUPPLY. Our vehicles are subjected to excessive heat and cold, water, salt, vibration and shock (as in potholes, curbs, and the occasional off-roadage). Probable cause of these problems - corroded ground connections and perhaps even some internally corroded wiring. I used a jumper wire to go around the ground wire in my taillight wiring, and the lights perked right up. The battery ground to the frame was pretty corroded too. Wire brushed it and it's working great now. Suggestion... after you clean both the connection end and the body ground point, put some dielectric grease on both before retightening. Computer? Clean where the computer mounts to the frame and the ground wire point. Old name--Hi-Fidelity... where everything works together.