why would this happen?

jschultzdc
10

Asked by jschultzdc Mar 08, 2013 at 02:11 AM about the 1988 Honda Civic CRX 2 Dr HF Hatchback

so i was driving home and when i turn my lights on the engine bogged down and then i turn the lights off and it runs fine. then lights on again it runs no problem then shuts down completely no light and motor wont start all fuses are good too. when i put the key to the start position the blinker lights come on solid and the bright s signal to on the cluster

57,915

Check battery for proper charge. If battery is low have it charged. If runs after battery is charged check alternator for proper voltage. Sounds like the alternator might have went bad and it was trying to run just off of battery power.

53,215

X 2 on the low voltage in the battery.

walth
1,185

Sounds like a weak ground from the engine to body. Idk hondas but most cars have grounds by the pass strut tower and drivers headlight area. check the trans for one too? Does it struggle going up hills? If it turns over like normal, not your battery. If you check the battery with a multi on 20v and it's 13.5-15v then your alt is fine.

mrmoony
2,050

You need to load test your batt.

Michael Tutty
4,635

Certainly sounds like a bum voltage regulator. I would, though, check the all the battery cables/ground straps.

walth
1,185

I should have clarified, checking the battery with the multi while your car is running and it's between 13.5-15 then your alt would be fine. Does it ever have issues trying to start? Click / clicking / no starter spin? I also mention ground because if you have a weak ground, whatever is grounding will try to ground through something else. A weak ground can cause a no start situation and make you think you're trippin.. ask me how I know. Is there a ground beneath your fusible links? remove, wire brush surface and bolt, grease, reinstall for each ground.

jschultzdc
10

thanks everyone fer ur post most of ur answers i already check and it turned out something shorted in the cluster so problem solved