Dodge Charger 2013 SXT or Ford Taurus 2013 SEL AWD?

aag
0

Asked by aag Mar 11, 2013 at 08:53 AM about the 2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

Hello,
I'm going to buy a new car, I've been looking for a while now, and finally, I narrowed down
my list
to either Dodge Charger 2013 SXT or Ford Taurus 2013 SEL AWD, assuming both cars
have
similar prices, which one is generally better?

I don't care that much for the engines, they're both good enough for me. I'm more interested
in
other things, such as exterior design, technologies and overall vehicle quality.

As a side question, do both cars come (STANDARD) with touchscreens, rear sensing
systems,
automatically
adjustable seats and smart keys?

142,075

My vote is for the Ford.

DavidH25

Ditto.

aag
0

It'd be more interesting if you guys mention the reasons you chose the Taurus.

Mike Rabkin
465

Dodge. I test drove the Ford, and it has some serious space constraints given it's size. Not good design. Also, the My ford touch system has been an nightmare for ford in terms of recalls and complexity, and lack of intuitiveness. I rented a charger twice now, once in FL for 9 days, and one in Buffalo NY for 3 days, it it did fine. Interior is way better than before 2011 redesign (more soft touch materials and better ergonomics). Even the base 292HP V6 had grunt!. Also, made better use of it's full size than the Ford. I have nothing against Ford (I'm a shareholder in fact). This just isn't one of their better designs, although it looks good from the outside at least. They did refresh the Taurus for 2013, but don't know if the issues mentioned above have been resolved. Here's Motor Trend's take (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1203_2013_ford_taurus_first_drive/), which implies it has improved. Just don't know if it's enough to be better than the redesigned Charger, which they like as well (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1211_2012_dodge_charger_sxt_plus_first_test/

DavidH25

292 hp @ 6350 rpm on Taurus and 288 on Charger, negligible difference Strictly personal preference, nothing else. Prejudice. I have nothing bad to say about the Charger. Both have AWD

DavidH25

Dodge: 4-wheel ABS Front and rear head airbags Dual front side-mounted airbags Child seat anchors Emergency braking assist Ventilated front disc / solid rear disc brakes Rear door child safety locks Daytime running lights Engine immobilizer Front fog/driving lights Auto delay off headlamps Dusk sensing headlamps 2 front headrests 2 rear headrests Passenger airbag occupant sensing deactivation Rear center 3-point belt Front seatbelt pretensioners Stability control Traction control Electronic brakeforce distribution Emergency interior trunk release Front height adjustable headrests Rear integrated headrests Post-collision safety system Passenger head restraint whiplash protection system Emergency braking preparation Driver head restraint whiplash protection system Tire pressure monitoring Brake drying

DavidH25

Ford: 4-wheel ABS Front and rear head airbags Dual front side-mounted airbags Child seat anchors Remote anti-theft alarm system Ventilated front disc / solid rear disc brakes Rear door child safety locks Engine immobilizer Auto delay off headlamps Dusk sensing headlamps 2 front headrests 3 rear headrests Passenger airbag occupant sensing deactivation Rear center 3-point belt Front seatbelt pretensioners Stability control Traction control Electronic brakeforce distribution Emergency interior trunk release Front multi-adjustable headrests Rear fixed headrests Post-collision safety system Tire pressure monitoring Airbag Deployment Notification*

DavidH25

I notice neither offers rear sensing video or even beep alarms, and that is something I wish I had. Safety and insurance discounts, in that order

DavidH25

I notice neither offers rear sensing video or even beep alarms, and that is something I wish I had. Safety and insurance discounts, in that order. About 2, oh maybe 3 years ago with my Town Car I backed in to a Lexus in a parking lot at 1mph, I thought the Lexus had a 5mph bumper, it did no damage to my T/C but my insurance had to pay out $450 for a scratch that you almost needed a magnifying glass to see, but the Lexus owner just had to have it painted, the entire bumper, and it was not even a new Lexus. It had other dings, looked like shopping cart dings to me on both front fenders AND rear quarter panels and the owner threw a hissy fit over something I would have let go. They didn't raise my premium but I lost my disappearing deductible

Mike Rabkin
465

You can l look up standard/optional equipment and specs for almost all vehicles going back at least a decade on my site.(http://www.fromcartofinish.com/). Go to the "research a vehicle" box on the homepage, and use the drop down menus. @ David - yes the Dodge has 292HP and the Ford now has 288HP (as of 2013 model year), but the numbers don't always tell the story. First, both don't weigh the same amount, have different transmissions, suspensions, and not all engine are equal even if the HP almost is. they cold be geared differently, and the ones with more gears (Dodge in this case) may be smoother and get better mileage. A good example of an engine not telling the story is the old V8 that went in the Land Rover Discovery, which was like 218HP, got horrible mileage, AND had horrible pickup. This despite being a V8, which everyone at the time thought meant good pickup at least. Not so. Best, Mike

DavidH25

Point taken Mike. There is far more than raw HP numbers to a car's performance. And overall desirability.

Bunghole
85

Are you a young person say under 35? If yes, DODGE ALL THE WAY....if you are over 40, the Taurus is the bomb...I love the Taurus but If I was you, I'd go for the DODGE, better if I had to choose.Chevy and Buick have nothing similar, isn't that odd? They have a remake of a Pontiac G8 but that is almost dead gone and buried........get your Charger......go for it.........go