I only have one original key to my Dakota and I broke it in the ignition.i replaced the lock cylinder with a new one now my truck wont turn over. what do I need to do?

damondash1
0

Asked by damondash1 Jun 18, 2013 at 06:03 PM about the 2005 Dodge Dakota 4 Dr SLT 4WD Crew Cab SB

truck wont turn over after new ignition lock cylinder was installed.

DavidH25

It needs to be re programmed

DavidH25

Enter your vehicle with your key. Consider using a timer or reliable watch for the following steps. If you use a timer, program it for 10 minutes, 30 seconds. Insert the Dodge Dakota key and turn it to the "On" position. Start your timer. Turn the key back to the "Off" position when the time elapses. This must be done within 45 seconds of the timer going off. If you are using a timer, reprogram it for an additional 10 minutes and 30 seconds. Start the timer again and turn the key to the "On" position. When the countdown is finished, turn the key to the "Off" position within 45 seconds of the time elapsing. Program any additional keys by putting a programmed key in the ignition and turning it to the "On" position for five seconds. Return it to the "Off" position and remove it from the ignition. Place the additional blank key in the ignition and turn it to the "On" positions for five seconds, and then to the "Off" position. Turn it once more to the "On" position and it will be programmed to start your car. If Your Key Won't Program Contact a reliable automotive locksmith. This is best done through a professional organization such as the Associated Locksmiths of America. Bring the key to the automotive locksmith. Remember that there is frequently a substantial discount for every additional key you would like to have programmed after the initial key. This is typically not the case with the dealership. Test your key in your ignition. If it does not work, then the key needs to be reprogrammed. An automotive locksmith should do this for free until you have the right encoding for your key.