Can I just put a straight muffler on my car to get some noise?

nessnjamaica
0

Asked by nessnjamaica Oct 02, 2013 at 12:26 AM about the 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Hatchback

I have a 07 Subaru impreza wagon 2.5 and i want it to sound good even if it dont go that fast... can I just get one of those universal straight mufflers off of ebay and put it on? will it make a difference in the noise level at all?

133,025

You can, and it will sound louder, the neighbors won't like you and you might not even like the sound the universal one makes. FInd a good Subaru forum and see what the others are recommending.

nessnjamaica
0

lol! in other words, it will sound a lot like having no muffler at all! I did what you recommended and got some tips... thanks!

Jeff Smith
1,615

Tom's right, it will sound like garbage. If you wanted to make your car sound more like a turbo Subaru, you can purchase an unequal length header and get anywhere between a Borla and Tsudo N1 catback. That'll be a much better sound than a universal muffler would ever bring.

Nick Eidemiller
4,175

I kinda disagree, I had a 93 Legacy with an EJ22, removed the secondary cat and put on a "fart can" and it sounded as good as any other Subaru with the similar style muffler. All Subaru's come from the factory with unequal length exhaust manifolds so unless you decide to go further with exhaust work it is not nesissary to buy an unequal length header to have the "Subaru sound."

Jeff Smith
1,615

Maybe your Legacy had a different header? It wasn't the EJ22T, was it? Here's the header style I had on all my non turbo Imprezas, and that's equal length. I ran an STI catback on one of them, and it sounded nothing like the turbo motors I have with the unequal length headers. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k297/holdenshero/P1010016.jpg

Nick Eidemiller
4,175

No my parents bought mine new in 93 I got it in 06 and the exhaust had never been worked on, it was just an SOHC N/A EJ22. This is magnaflows UEL header and high flow cat I put on a couple years after changing mufflers because my stock manifold broke after 16 years but it's the exact same style as stock. http://www.carid.com/images/magnaflow/exhaust-systems/23871.jpg if looking from the front of the car the right pipeing is longer than the left to kick the cat off to the side. I guess not all come with the UEL factory but the 1st gen Legacys all did for sure. This vid isn't of my personal Subaru (I can't find any clips of mine) but this is exactally what mine sounded like with just the muffler change. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chew5bjz1ZY

Jeff Smith
1,615

Ah, fascinating, I didn't realize NA Subarus ever had UEL headers from the factory. I'd have loved to have a header like that on my NA Imprezas! Unfortunately, the header on the Imprezas is EL and putting a potato cannon muffler on the back just makes it sound like a raspy Honda with a lower redline.

Nick Eidemiller
4,175

Yep, I really enjoyed driving arround with that tone. The car's since gone to a younger sibling and the Cannon was replaced with a flowmaster super 44 series, still sounds decent but lost all the boxer rumble. It's hard to find a chambered muffler that lets all of the Subie sound out.