my service engine soon light came on what could be the problem

rea7
25

Asked by Apr 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille Base

Colin Rodger
185

Could be something as simple as the gas cap not being on tight enough, or something really really serious. You should probably get it checked out.

Michael Sholtis
55

go up to advance auto parts they will plug in a computer to it and tell you what code its throwing and what u need

Zachary Hulcher
305

I work at a shop, I wouldn't advise taking your car to advance, we've had people come in who have been there several time without success. They check it so they can sell you a part to install if that doesnt fix it then you have to buy another part to try. We had a guy come in with a Ford F-150 who had been to advance, he replaced his oxygen sensor 4 times because that was one of the possible causes of the code. If the guy at advance knew to check out the other possible issues the customer could have saved alot of time and money. Take it to a reputable auto repair shop, it may cost just a bit more on the surface but it is well worth it in the end, don't sacrafice quality

Amber Miller
185

a sevice engine soon light could just very well be changing your oil... it could mean a bad O2 sensor... it could mean you have a fouled spark plug... it can also mean something stupid as gas cap not on right and just puttin the gas cap back on will not remove the light from your dashboard... you will have to take it to a good mechanic... not advance auto parts or any other chessy auto parts store... they have to scan the car and clear the code(s) after whatevers wrong is fixed... i may be a woman but i kno what im talkin about... i am a mechanic myself... i wish you good luck and i hope you find your solution

Andrew Cuthbertson
135

Mine will come on intermittently, when I stomp the gas, or when I first start it. I'm thinking the problem here has as much to do with the light itself as anything else.

Chris Nel
165

It could be something as simple to as low oil level, or a 50,000 or 75,000 mile check up, to a gasket. Take it to a repair shop, and just have them look at it. If your car is still running smoothly, it's probably nothing big.

kikero
1,630

Nothing is wrong, no codes. How do I turn off the light??

David Weissman
155

I have a 2003 Deville base, and my light came on a few weeks ago. It was a problem with the air intake and caused about $500 to fix.

Joseph Kopacz
425

Ain't life grand?

Thumper221
50

Don't bother taking it in at all. I have a 99 f150 that has had the same light on for the last 7 years, and nothing is wrong. I brought it to a family mechanic, and he said it was just a part that goes bad and it dosent need to be replaced, its just a bottomless money pit if you keep bringing it in. CT

Leo Cantu
390

My service engine light came on, i drive a cadillac deville 2004, and the engine sounds loud. Any suggestions>?

Betterbe
30

I have a 2004 dts after I have 3 gas caps changed 2 smoke tests and my shop which I have been going to for some time and I believe they are good still can't figure it out.