Which is cheaper valve stem replacement or new engine for BMW 750LI

Southernjag93
40

Asked by Southernjag93 Apr 19, 2013 at 05:57 PM about the 2006 BMW 7 Series 750Li

I've experienced a problem with my BMW 750li of white smoke coming out the tail pipe
during start up or idle.  I've had it looked at and quoted $6500 for valve stem job among
other repairs needed. Is it an alternative to this repair which appears pretty extreme.

judge_roy

how many miles to you have on this buggy? more than 250,000....well that would make sense, if the interior is excellent yet and the paint's still okay would price out one from Yahoo motors 'cause they take into account mileage and let you comparison shop, so if at 2006 is what you've got could look for other 2006's to see if yours compares, and possibly ring this one up and by another one that had it's oil changes on time~

judge_roy

If you have an excellent repoire with your motor rebuilding guy, ask him for a better deal, perhaps pay himself $25/hour instead of the conventional $45/hr for what is, head removal top end rebuild, yes $1000 worth of wrench time, but perhaps with all new parts....6000 seems extreme to me~

Best Answer
Southernjag93
40

This auto has 133,000 miles on it. Bought it from a friend for $8,000 cash. I knew of some of the issues the car had and figured getting those fixed I would have a nice second car. This is by far the most costly. It's a shame because the car looks great for its age and mileage.

judge_roy

dang it Southern, you have to have it fixed, if this is the case, so often there are disreputable characters in the repair business...if you could find a "word of mouth" friend who has something like one of these and knows the shop to have the major stuff done, this sounds like a cut- and-dry major service, perhaps we will not know until it's stripped apart...maybe only a few components need replacement...you don't want a shop that wants to go "Whole Hog" on you~ please note the thin-ness of your credit card before assessing the job~ get someone who's creatively simple about stuff, not replacing things that don't need replacement and has the smarts to tell you so~

You think this is helpful.
judge_roy

wouldn't it be something if it were a simple oil return port that had an obstruction...a candy wrapper, a soda lid or something got sucked into and is now an obstruction, could be removed with a tweezers....that would be nice~

mrmoony
2,170

How much oil do you add between changes?

Southernjag93
40

Just bought this auto at a cash price. From what I see its still full of oil, and from underneath it is not leaking either. It has only been driven a couple hundred miles since I purchased. I had it checked out and along with the valve stem they found transmission pan leak, both upper timing case gaskets, alternator housing gasket. I guess that's why I paid only $8000 for the car.

56,795

Good question on the oil consumption. It could be more cost effective to drop in a quart of oil every so often than rebuild. I'm a little concerned with the white smoke. I've always heard of blue smoke from oil burning. White smoke from coolant... You know best, you are the one topping it off.

You think this is helpful.
1Delone
60

tenspeed has the right answer. Listen to him. If you spend that kind of money on the engine, you are going to have to drive it for many years to get your money back out of it.

judge_roy

a headgasket can be mended, let's hope it's not cracking of the cast parts~

Southernjag93
40

Thank you all for your responses. This is my first experience with BMW's. This is a beautiful car and I just want to be able to enjoy it.

Wayne Bowman
0

Hey i jus gt the 08 750li and thr guy at the dealer told me tht 02 thru 07 was hving a problem smoking and over the years n BMW was trying to fix this problem. He told me the 08 suppose the be the year they finally work it out so will i have that problem with my car it has 72941 miles on it. And also i gt 2 year extended warranty on the motor.

johmmy
20

I have a 2006 BMW 750i. Bought it new. It now has 144,000 miles on it. At around 130,000 miles, the car would smoke from the tailpipe whenever I was stopped at a light, or in a long line (like at a tollbooth). I tried oil additives. I was putting in oil every 300-500 miles. And you could actually smell burning oil when outside the car. Finally, dealer told me I needed valve stem seals and quoted me a price of $9,700.00. I thought that seemed high. The overall condition of my car is excellent, and the car has been well cared for, with mostly highway miles. So I looked at the cost of a new 750i ($95,000.00), considered that my youngest child has not finished her education (she's in law school $49,000 annually) and decided to get the repair. Dealer reduced the quoted price to $7,400.00. I agreed and just got the car out of the shop 2 days ago. Wow. Its like driving a brand new car. The engine compression has been restored, with no smoking, and the car accelerates like a rocket. Its a major repair so I felt more comfortable with the dealer performing the service. Considering its basically an upper engine rebuild, the cost seemed reasonable. Now I feel that I'll get 200,000 miles out of the car. But no more V-8s. That smoking problem mostly plagues V8s. My next car will be the BMW 535 diesel. Diesel engines easily get several hundred thousand miles.

Jason Harrison
60

I can do this job for $2800. The dealership is waaaaay overpriced and they do it the easy way without pulling the engine. The reason it cost so much is because they charge you over $4,000 for the labor alone. The engine is supposed to be pulled and the heads pulled off to do the valve stem seals, but you don't have to.

Raja916
50

Hi James. I have 07 750li and it needs valve stem seals. So you could do the job for $2800? Which city are you In?

NewyorkB
20

James I have a 2007 750Li and I seem to have the same problem. Are you located in the NYC area?