Is 158k to many miles

Jessica Massie
60

Asked by Jessica Feb 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM about the 2004 BMW 5 Series 525i

DavidH25

Too many miles for what? To buy? No any bimmer is a well engineered car that with the right maintenance in it's past will go many more miles, if the asking price is right. CARFAX

pauljay
95

How the car has been maintained is more important that the actual miles. These cars can go 300,000 miles when well maintained. Check the CarFax or AutoCheck report for more helpful information. Buy with caution!

judge_roy

If this was a guy's car, probably too wonky. If this was a girl's car who carefully saw to scheduled maintainence and oil changes, I'm with H25!

Ilregal

I agree also with all the guys answers and I thought I'd just give my two cents worth. It all depends on who owned it and the maintenance. Buying from a young guy is a huge mistake more often than not. Older folks always A+, middle age baby boomers, toss up. I buy and sell a lot of cars and that is a great car, But giving us the price with the mileage and what you see as the overall condition would be able to get you a much better answer. If a young guy put a loud mouth exhaust on it, then I wouldn't even consider buying the car, but if a person handed me all the maintenance slips, I'd hand them some cash. It all depends. How much are they asking and what does the car look like? I think a question ask-er can post a picture, I think. So, take a pic and tell us what they are asking, get a pic of the engine and you would get a million responses to your question, that I can probably guarantee...

Ilregal

Hi Dave, Hi Jay......and for the questioner, here is an 5 series and they are trying to get 6k for it. They don't say what the mileage is, but if it's low, then it might be a good parts car for $4500 is what I might offer, doesn't look to bad in this pic

Ilregal

But you turn it around and look at the a@s end, well...........

DavidH25

Hi yerself I wonder if Jessica is even looking..so many never do

Ilregal

Ya, I agree, we generally just talk to our self's, however we keep are self's well informed.. it seems that 80% of the time, we never hear anything from the person and just end up debating amongst our self's. The question was rather incomplete and really lacking in details to make any kind of comment other than what everyone said.

DavidH25

Really. Too many miles to do what? We don't even know that for sure, I was doing the ass of u and me thing

Ilregal

I have a question why do we answer questions that are questionable? 158,000 miles is to far to walk but, The average distance from Earth to Moon is 384,403 km (238,857 miles) so that means you would only need to drive another 80,857 more miles to park on the moon but remember before you put this answer into your homework you’ve got to understand that the Moon takes an elliptical path around the Earth. That number, 384,403 km is an average distance that astronomers call the semi-major axis. The Moon can get closer to the Earth and it can get further. At its closest point, known as the perigee, the Moon is only 363,104 km or 225,622 miles so less the 158,000 miles already driven you would then only have to drive another 67,622 miles to get to your favorite crater. And at its most distant point, called apogee, the Moon gets to a distance of 406,696 km 252,088 miles so you figure the math, the bottom line is that timing is everything. I seriously believe the car can make it. Buy it.

Jessica Massie
60

Thanks for all your answers we got the car its in great condition all of the maintenance has been kept up since he baught the car and i got it for 4500 :)

Jessica Massie
60

And you don't have to be assholes if you don't have anything nice to say then dont answer thanks

Ilregal

Don't be so mean, and please buckle up and drive recklessly.

judge_roy

most people we meet aren't as nice as us CarGurus, for chrissakes they ain't payin' us nothing...so it is from the kindness of our heart we present our knowledge...take it or leave it..A lot of very knowledgable gurus, and though somehow have risen to a respectable score is through kindness....but I see what looks like tape on the bumper there....is that the way these are supposed to be?..does that feature decrease the car's value? Certainly did not find anything what may put any of us in the "asshole" compartment, but perhaps you really haven't experienced abject negative energy.

DavidH25

You pegged it Bob. There is nothing in this for us. We just try to help when possible. There are maybe 6 or 8 questions up w/ no answer and that is not because they are being ignored, nobody has come along that can think of a decent response. Yet.

judge_roy

there was a fellow with a rating of '0' who tried to scold me for not attending to the problem and said 'this isn't a social forum' and that's what Facebook is for, well my friend there is a reason why you've a rating of zero, and may have noticed we DONT SPEAK IN ALL CAPS, makes you appear to be yelling...save overstating the point. If I just want to talk about stuff, it's going to relate to my experiences with cars anyways, so if I start in with flavored bagels and the unavailability of good lox and cream cheese it is a way to socialize, when we're waiting for the person who posted the question initially to get their act together...and what's it to you to have to ignore the text. Llregal frequently posts things that are so explanitory...skip a bit once in a while and go right to the last couple of sentances (don't tell him, might hurt his feelings)~

judge_roy

158.000 would be a bit much for an aircooled VW beetle, a Yugo, a Fiat a Ford Escort/Tempo/Plymoth neon vw rabbit geo metro suzuki swift...but not a beamer!

55,345

How do you like that? I thought you guys were being nice and ya got called assholes. I don't think you deserved it. Maybe it's something that's in a BMW owner.

judge_roy

yep. didn't think it thru. let's move onto something that will prompt results...instead of disdain~

Ilregal

Well this is a damn first, a general agreement of the community. I, of course, responded to the little wench immediately, but then for the sake of my own dignity and the community deleted about six of my most, well terrible ones. As Tenspeed would readily agree I can be quit the nasty prick when pissed off and she pissed me off. The only comment prior to her asshole remark was what Dave wrote to me about, "making an ass of u or me". However, now that the little want to be rich girl is out driving around pretending she's somebody, one post I shouldn't have deleted was, an avatar speaks a thousand words, look at that mug and she thinks were assholes? Or was it my comment about walking to the moon. I was one with her when she suddenly was touting what she paid then launched off into the asshole bit. There was not one person here that was being a asshole to her and she certainly left herself wide open for what ever. And JayBob you nailed it the best as that has to be the best comment yet. I do often wonder why any of you guys do this. It's at times like torture, but why we keep trying and then end up just talking to each other and in my case often getting pissed off for no reason, is a mystery to me. These people DO think we are getting paid to do this shit. I am convinced and maybe Henry in Admin needs to put a big banner over the question box that we aren't some paid employees of CarGuru's. you think?? By the way, is 12 tires to many?

judge_roy

12 tires is about the right number for your ICMB launcher-....18 wheelers need four more.

Ilregal

You asshole, I thought I was talking to professionals.

judge_roy

her avatar looks like an evil toy~