6 speed manual transmission. How to use the 6th gear?

texas612
25

Asked by texas612 Apr 25, 2007 at 12:23 AM about the 2007 BMW 3 Series 328i

I got a new BMW 328i. It is a 6 speed manual. I am trying to figure out what is the ideal RPM to rev at different gears so that I can maximize the car and driving experience. Any hints for this newbie?

testpilot61
205

These are great little cars. The shift points depend on your driving style. Most shifts can be completed between 3 and 4 thousand RPM's. If your crusing around town shifts between 2 and 3 thousand RPM's should be fine. These six speed tranys are great for getting the max performance from your car. You will need to take your new toy out on the road where there is little traffic and try out the different gears and learn at what speeds they perform best for YOU. It will take a little practice but I am sure you will pick up the right shift points--I found years ago that driving by the seat of your pant--best feeling--was the best teacher. If you uncomfortable with this approach then find yourself a good driving instructor or ask you dealer for a referal for proper driving instructions. Good luck and have great fun driving. Jerry

Russ Croy
175

Jerry has the perfect answer...thanks for saving me the typing!

Colin Salazar
285

all is explained well by Jerry. Just wanted to say congrats on the Ultimate Driving Machine.