I recently bought an older (2000) BMW 328i and I have a fairly good knowledge of general car maintenance (oil/filter change, tune-up, radiator flush) but this is different. What can I do myself?

Tricia Ann
0

Asked by Tricia Nov 13, 2013 at 08:12 PM about the 2000 BMW 3 Series 328i

I'm intimidated by how differently the BMW engine is designed, for example the transmission is "sealed", there is not a dipstick to check fluid level, but it's confusing, there is only one dipstick (oil) and the power steering lid says, "use ATF only", Do all fluids have to be bought at the dealer or are there any equivalent substitutes. What maintenance, minor repairs can I do myself vs. dealership only?

judge_roy

....okay... the timing chain or belt could be a ticking time bomb....either check the maintenance schedule in the glovebox to see at how many thousand miles this chain and tensioner has on it~

judge_roy

How many miles are on this engine?

14,235

There are equivalents out there so you don't need to buy them from the dealer, the power steering unit uses ATF as power steering fluid. If you are considering doing some of the work yourself it would be a great benefit to you to buy a good service manual. It will be money well spent.