Are 4 cylinder engines more likely to overheat with age than a v6 or v8 engine?

Dave3series
70

Asked by Dave3series Jul 07, 2013 at 12:37 PM about the 1996 BMW 3 Series 318i

Michael Kane
4,325

I havent seen any evidence that a 4 cyl. is more like to overheat than a 6 or an 8. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance for your cooling system. I think if you maintain your coolant system it will be less likely to fail. For instance a radiator, hoses, t-stat, waterpump, ect. that over 7 years old is at high risk of failure and with inspection replace what is needed. I personally service my cars around every 2 to 3 years depending on usage but I do moniter them every few months between.

Dave3series
70

This makes perfect sense. This site is very helpful.. just found it a little too late. My gasket is blown and I thought I had a car with very little maintenance for being 17 years old. The radiator burst and I thought by replacing it everything was fine but maybe it just bought some time. Because 2 months later it just died on the interstate without warning. Thank you.

Michael Kane
4,325

Im sorry to here that, age talks its toll on all those parts even if the miles are low this stuff wears out. Well maybe this will help for your next car.

Dave3series
70

It will absolutely help me with my next car. Thanks again!

Lars Cats
2,405

It's still simple as can be: replace coolant every other year (before winter period starts) and do a complete system flush including a radiator backflush while you're at it, thermostats are cheap but can cause costly repairs when they fail so replace every 3-4 years, water pump depends on the bearin,g generally they last between 80-100k miles (but if it's driven by the timing belt replace it together with the belt), the main coolant carrying hoses are often overlooked during maintenance but I recommend replacing them every 4-6 years and checking them once a year at least.

Dave3series
70

This is very good information. I want to know this information for my next car. So much easier to schedule the maintenance than be stuck on the hwy and ruin my engine beyond repair..... Thank you.