Keyless entry?

Coy325i
25

Asked by Coy325i Mar 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM about the 1989 BMW 3 Series 325i

I bought a 1989 325i convertible and it seems as if it can only be locked with the key. Did these come with keyless entry and if so can I get a replacement key fob any where but the BMW dealership?

Thanks in advance!

judge_roy

sadly, yes-they've got us comin- and goin-, had a similar problem with my MINI (bmw in diguise) and you cannot get the key duplicated...they told me that I'd have to bring in the title, the car and wait a day for them to make the key and it'd cost $700 during which time could not use the car...asked why they did not supply two keys, one for me and one for my wife and they said take it to the dealership for a copy...so much for helpful used car guys.

15,955

My Nephew ran into that when he bought his '98 528i used. He had no choice but to go back to BMW for a spare key. -Jim

82,745

You can get a replacement on ebay but like the other guys said you'll then need to take it too a BMW dealer for cutting and programming. Yes, it cost money and a PITA, but BMW and other car makers don't want thieves easily taking your car on you.

judge_roy

learning to covet my $14,000 key with great reverence, placing it always into the top pocket, never holding while using a urinal, eating a plate of spaghetti, or goin for a swim- Have heard tales of horror here on cargurus, where the poor feller had to dry it out, and couldn't get to use his truck unless he disconnected the battery, thus disabling the security system- My advise was 'knuckle down and buy another', but he said there wasn't any dodge dealers near to him, so I recommended he put it in a warm sunny spot, like on the top of a dashboard for a week, return and see if all the water managed to bake out....could go back and see what happened, but he'll repost with more news if things get rotten-