Anyone have a/c problems with Honda Civic?

mamabrinks
150

Asked by mamabrinks May 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM about the 2010 Honda Civic Coupe LX

We have two 2010 Honda Civics and have this problem with both of them! After the car sits for a while in the hot sun, the a/c won't work when you start the car. It does start working again after you drive for a while. The first one it took us several attempts taking it to the dealers before they could figure out what was wrong with it. I am not sure how much they really looked until I brought it in and THEY saw the a/c not working. They then found it was a resistor. Now we are having a problem with the other Honda Civic, same problem...and the dealer wants us to keep bringing it in until they can get a code. Looking around online I find that there are others having this problem and that it has gone back for a few years. I wonder if this is a defect the Honda corporation knows about but it continuing to produce cars with it since it seems to only happen in warm climate areas?? Also, the dealership NEVER got a code with this problem on the first car, it was only through testing that they said it was the resistor!

kd5qhr
330

I have a 2008 Honda Civic that is suffering the same problem. The A/C compressor will cycle for a few seconds and the air out of the vents is warm at best. Today, I kept cycling the temperature control knob from cold to warm and back. After 3-4 times, the A/C stayed on and blew cold air for the next hour. I feel that there is a short, or possible a bad resistor in the temp control. I have checked the freon level and it is full. Has to be electrical.

REDNECK73
445

how often do u use your ac??? the odds its your condensor or compressor are very slim. chances it needs a charge is very high if u use your ac. alot. i live in phx az but im used to 120* heat & in 4yrs...ive only used the ac (at most) 5 times & my ac still works like a charm. ALSO if u dont use your ac on a reg basis...u need to run it on an average of 5 min every few days. i can account for that for 1 vehicle i owned. an ac units designation is to cool. when its not active...even for short periods of time spuratically...it increases your odds of the compressor seizing up. ALSO...THIS IS A MUST MUST MUST FOR THE AC TO RUN PROPERLY. theres an internal air filter on the inside passenger side. honda rec specs are replacing it every 15,000 miles. that air filter is hooked up thru the cars ac system. when its dirty...cold air isnt gonna blow cuz its being trapped by a filter that looks like a train wreck....if it looks like a train wreck. honda started putting these ac internal air filters in cars in the turn of the century.

REDNECK73
445

ul notice by the mildewie dirt smell thats emmitted from the vents. unless u smoke & u smoke in your car...if ur car doesnt have a fresh smell to it...but exactly the opposite...its most likely that filter. i smoke on a reg basis but in the since i bought it new in mar of 07...ive never smoked in it once & my car still has that new car smell. it also helps to keep the internal circulating air button switched to on meaning only circulate the air thats in the car rather than having air coming from the outside which is gonna dirty that filer faster & easier. sooooo to review...... 1. check the filter. 2. check the freon levels. 3. check to see if the compressor & condensor & evaporator are working correctly. to check these...most if not all honda dealers will check these for free called courtesy/customer service check.

REDNECK73
445

if u have any other questions...feel free to contact me @ xdrpepperedneckx@aol.com put in the subj line HONDA so i wont think its spam.

jham0617
420

I have a 2007 Honda civic. My problem started at 85k first with a clutch relay switch problem. The 3 months later it went out and then they said they had to put a software patch on the clutch relay switch. That lasted like 6 weeks, then the compressor finally went out and I filed a complaint with Honda of America. Honda corporate refused to acknowledge other Hondas with similar issues, said 2007 ac issues didn't have critical issues etc...etc.. After replacing my ac compressor with my private mechanic since Honda dealers wouldn't take responsibility for the ac compressor going out at 92k, my ac is not working again after 90. The ac they use in these Hondas just seems to be defective and Honda will not do anything about it or acknowledge it. Unbelievable.

elmerenzo
1,190

Hi I have a honda civic 2008 and the aircon is not working if I had a traffic or the car is idle for 30 minutues. After I run it again for 10 minutes the coldness of my a/c is again turned on. I've replaced the a/c relay and the fan but still the same problem. Can you advise me on what to do?? pls

Spelle
130

I have a 2007 Honda and one day I went to go start it and everything and the car wouldn't start nor would the hood open to jump start the car. I brought it to a mechanic and they just unhooked my a/c and the car runs fine and everything. Before that the hot air wouldn't work nor would the a/c and then there was a really bad smell. So they just unplugged it and it works

deb5deb5deb5deb5deb5
620

I have a 2008 Honda Civic. The air conditioner randomly quits working from time to time. After I drive about 20 minutes, it usually comes back on. I KNOW it must be a defect that other Honda owners are having!! It really pisses me off!! Honda should recall our automobiles and fix our problem!

greenladybug26
490

My 2008 Honda CIvic started having issues this year with the A/C. Took it to a mechanic this morning and he said it appears to be an electrical problem and the compressor isn't getting any juice. But he checked all the switches he could find and they all check out fine. He suggested I go somewhere that specializes in A/C. The blower works, but I just get hot air. I have not tried to run it for any length of time as suggested above, so I may try that and see what happens. I KNOW for a fact my cabin air filter needs replaced, but Wal Mart told me it wasn't anything that was going to cause issues, I just wouldn't be getting clean air into the cabin. If I replace this, could this be the cause of my problems???

Magnoliablues
320

I have a 2006 Civic Ex that has had repeated a/c issues. First it worked intermittently as others have described, then it stopped cooling altogether. It was "fixed" once, and the repair only lasted about 6 to 8 months. I was just told it is the compressor that is out and it will cost $1300 to replace. Now that I am seeing so many posts with similar issues, I feel this must be something Honda is aware of but chooses to do nothing about. Hmmm...class action lawsuit??

jham0617
420

I just heard from a friend that won repair bills in small claims court against Niss secretary'sbe difficult to win or force American Honda to accept responsibilty for the AC issues, but if you have your repair history, you may be able to sue through state secretarys of states to force them to pay. I tried going through American Honda, my dealership, neither one took ownership of the problem. We can also try starting a group on Facebook to publicize the pervasiveness of the problem. I firmly believe that Honda uses the same ac compressor for multiple years and models.If they do, they most likely would spend billions on a recall to fix the issue.

jham0617
420

I just heard from a friend that won repair bills in small claims court against Nissan for defective issues. She said to make a complaint through secretary's of states. It might be difficult to win or force American Honda to accept responsibilty for the AC issues, but if you have your repair history, you may be able to sue through state secretarys of states to force them to pay. I tried going through American Honda, my dealership, neither one took ownership of the problem. We can also try starting a group on Facebook to publicize the pervasiveness of the problem. I firmly believe that Honda uses the same ac compressor for multiple years and models.If they do, they most likely would spend billions on a recall to fix the issue.

alexmeneley
315

Honda civic 06, the ac keeps running once I started the engine, regardless the switch in the dashboard is on or off. any idea please.

Shantae Tatum
100

I hv an '09 Civic and is now having a/c problems. The buttons work, but my air don't cut on and neither does the hot or cold climate. I need a whole new a/c controller. I'm noticing many are having problems with their air, and this also look like a defect HONDA need to repair instead of us

Jojo Costales
210

I have a 08 Civic and is also having problems. Its obvious that Honda had a defect. I was quoted $1500 to get if fixed and there is no way i can afford that right now. How can we start a class action lawsuit so we can all get our a/c's fixed?

Tonyas
125

I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX that started acting up this year. It only works when it wants to. I can hear what seems to be the motor running on the ac but no air blows out. Also, my car just broke down. Cranks but wont start and it only has 63,000 miles on it! What the heck is Honda doing. They should be responsible for this! And my visor on the left side has cracked as well. I've been doing a lot of research online have found complaints. With just two websites totaling over 1300 complaints!! Something needs to be done!

BlueParrot
80

I also have a 2008 Honda Civic LX (with102,000 miles on it) and just spent over $1000 to replace the AC compressor at the Honda dealer (I know this dealership and their mechanics are reputable). The service technician told me that these breakdowns are not uncommon. My previous Civic's AC also seriously broke down at 160,000 miles. Consumer Report's frequency of repair charts show that AC has been a weak spot in Honda Civics for many years (although the Civic excels in almost every other mechanical function!). I agree with the other posts - why can't Honda get their act together and fix this obvious problem with their AC systems?

geetagunjan
310

I have problem in my 2010 honda cvic AC .no cool air after first few minutes. only 37K miles on it...I need help! Honda needs to fix this issue. Is there a solution?

civicnation2008
120

Hi Guys, I have had the same problem. My 2008 civic ex-l a/c died last summer at 100,000km. It would work great for 3 min blowing ice cold air and then all of a sudden hot humid air. It worked intermittantly, and especially did not work when the car was sitting in the sun at work all day. If I drove it out of my garage it would work for a few minutes until the car warmed up. I was told by a few people that it's the clutch arm on the compressor. The metal sets out from heat and the chamber doesn't close properly, thus it keeps letting hot humid air into the cooling system. Now this summer it doesn't work at all. I'm getting a diagnostic done by honda this week. But I've heard 2008 civic's have tons of compressor clutch issues....It's unbelievable that Honda knows the metal is defective on the clutch arm but would keep installing it.

David Hensley
90

I would check/replace the AC clutch or just the whole AC compressor assembly. After checking the coolant level and replacing the AC compressor relay, it's just age on the compressor clutch. Mine is over 102,000 miles when the clutch wore out.

David Hensley
90

Should not cost over $1,000 to replace the entire compressor -even at a dealership. If someone is quoting $1,500 I would go somewhere else.

You think this is helpful.
pvinnakota
30

My Honda Civic '08 a/c stopped working almost a year ago when the car did around 80,000 miles. I took it to my local mechanic who checked it and said the compressor is gone and would cost $1,150. Another chain also quoted around that. How do we band together and get Honda to do something about it?

mirqa
160

My 2006 Honda Civic's air conditioning died yesterday 5 miles into a 65 drive home in 98 degree brutal Florida heat. The car barely has 60,000 miles on it. Brought it to my mechanic today (Honda certified and AAA approved) who is pretty honest although not cheap. He said it could be the compressor clutch (but he won't be sure until he replaces it for $1300, 1 yr. warranty. Alternatively he can replace the entire compressor and all related parts including the clutch for $1600, which will include a lifetime warranty on ALL parts. (I have been having issues with coldness of the AC for quite some time as well.) I told him to replace the whole compressor. Are the rates you guys are getting to replace the compressor inclusive of both parts and labor? I would love to join a class action or other concerted effort to get Honda to pay for this.

milman69
40

My 2008 just had the clutch relay replaced because it was staying on and draining my battery. We had the system then serviced and filled and now it is down again. Not sure what is going on with it.

Phil Pastor
40

I just got a $900 estimate to replace teh compressor in my '08 Civic. I am not sure how to start a class action suit, or the requirements, but in the meantime maybe we can gather some momentum from a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/faultyhondacompressors ... If anyone wants to help administer this and beautify it... let me know.

Jenny Hamilton
280

I just submitted a question pertaining to these issues to Clark Howard, consumer and financial expert who's show is syndicated nationally. I'm hoping we can band together to get something done.

VSharma
0

I have '08 Civic, my AC compressor broke down with 50K miles on my vehicle. Honda Dealer is asking $1700 for AC compressor, clutch, coil set replacement and metal contamination. Any help on how to address this issue? Thanks

mirqa
160

I live in Florida. So I paid that much--more with tax and a charge of $125 for the test that determined what was wrong with the a/c, I can't be without air conditioning, and my 2006 Civic barely has 60K on it. .It does sound like there are enough of us that we should pursue some collective action. Do we have any lawyers among us?

Jenny Hamilton
280

I got an answer from the Clark Howard show call center and these are some of the things we can do. 1) calling NADA (NATIONAL ASSOC AUTO DELEARSHIP) 703-822-7144 2) BBB AUTO SECTION: 800-955- 5100 3) call the FTC: 877-438-4338 4) and the Lin Law Firm who is investigating claims that they are considering class action status regarding Honda Civics air condesor where debris hits the unit and causes damage for vehicles under warranty. But, they've already gotten about a dozen calls, and are still investigating the issue and it may include the issues being discussed on this thread as well, if enough people are found to be affected: 909-595-5522. This should be a start.

christol
0

I'm joining your group! My 2009 Civic EX's AC compressor is coming apart from the inside, and metal shavings have contaminated the whole system, the mechanic (very reputable) told me it would be about $2500 to replace the whole system. They suggested I call Honda customer service to try to negotiate something. Also said I'd likely need to go to a Honda Dealer (they are a Honda/Acura shop). My car has 65,000 miles on it. I'm going to check out Jenny's info.

cereza
10

My 2008 Civic LX will turn on and off when it wants to. When it does turn on it blows cold air but when it doesn't nothing comes out. My car has 61,000 miles on it. I'm joining your group as well!

Lynn415
30

Same issues here. .. 07 Honda Civic with 75K mils.. . past 6 months, intermittent cold/hot. Now, just hot. Still need to bring to mechanic, but living in San Francisco, not a big deal with the cooler temps, but still would like it fixed.

You think this is helpful.
Nici Hanger
40

2008 Civic EX-L, 97k miles. Drove it 200 miles south to a job site this morning. Never had a problem with the a/c until today - when I turned the car on to head home, no air blowing out of the vents, regardless of setting/temp. Sat in a gas station parking lot for a while to wait out a storm, and took that opportunity to mess with the dials, try a few things, looked at the fuses.. no clues as to the problem. Figured it was just dead and decided to head home. But when I hopped on the highway, as I was getting up to speed, suddenly the air kicked on. It worked the whole way home, POSSIBLY a bit weaker than usual. I'm not sure it's even worth going to a mechanic after reading the posts on here - I don't want to shell out a bunch of cash only for it to stop working again in a few weeks or months.

Alex Garcia
60

A/C relay

Shantae Tatum
100

I see four numbers that was posted by Jenny 2 weeks ago to call & make a complaint to get this ball rolling. First, the visors split after being in heat and now my air has gone out. I can proudly say this will be my LAST Honda. My Kia didn't give me this much trouble. I forgot my motor mount messed up BUT, fortunately, I was still under warranty to get it fixed

Ryan Fromoltz
20

I've been having issues with my 08 Honda Civic A/C for years. From June to August the air works in the morning, then gets very little air in the afternoon when its 115 degrees. (I'm from Vegas). Finally took it in to a mechanic who said it was a charge in the air system, and got it fixed for 120 bucks. But he also admitted that Civic's are horrible for air conditioning. Saying the air will not be as good as a Toyota, Hyundai or other Honda's.

Melissa Dempsey
40

I bought my 08 Honda Civic EX in March of this year && everything worked, until a couple of weeks ago, my air started coming on every now && then, && a week ago it just quit, I've been with out air for a week, what can be done about this && I also would like to know if there are any other problems or recalls we should know about??

hassam
20

hi melissa i have my own garage and i inderstand theproblem and i can do good service for u lets see what should be done any part change or repairing do let me know thanks

simeon
40

I join the club with the same issue. I have a Honda civic 2008 ex/l, never had a problem until this summer. A/ C started to give up works whenever it likes, past few days its completely gone. I tried filling the freon but no luck, I guess I'm heading for a big repair. I agree Honda needs to come up with a fix, I bought this car brand new.

lainieRmac
30

I have a 2006 Honda Civic and the AC stopped getting cool, more like a humid mist of air. I took it to Dealer and was told i would have to have it recharged before they could determine what was wrong with it. after recharge it never worked, so i called dealer back and they 'took another look at it' and said it needed a new compressor - quote was $1350. Was talking to a guy at work and he has a 2008 Civic and his ac is not working either and he was told it was a compressor. even if i had the money to replace it and i am afraid it wont solve problem - more of a temporary fix.

UKBleu
115

My wife and I have two 2008 Honda Civics (LX and EX-L). Both of them have A/C problems, though most of the time it's the LX. It nearly always happens when its been sitting in the sun in a hot parking lot. It's been in the shop several times, had a transistor replaced, and had the refrigerant replaced. Why the refrigerant? I was told there is a safety feature that causes the A/C system to shut down if there is low pressure. The problem is - none of that worked. It still intermittently goes out, only to come on again later. The Lin Law Firm comment mentioned above seems legit, in terms of potential action. Look into it for yourself. The link is attached. http://www.thelinlawfirm.com/honda-civic-ac-condenser-problems/

UKBleu
115

Continued from above - Some of you may also be interested in this if you own an Odyssey, CR-V, or Acura TSX. The moral of the story: AC problems are not new for Honda and they continue to deny there is a problem. http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit- news/1894-honda-air-conditioningcompressor-class-action-settlement

LABeacher
130

I am having the same A/C issues with my 2008 Honda Civic. About three months ago my A/C started working intermittently. The a/c works then about 10 to 20 minutes later stops working and blows hot air. After turning the a/c off sometimes it decides to work again and sometimes it doesn't. Recently I had the a/c off and the vents were still blowing hot air even though the evening air was cooler. Any idea how to get this fixed?

Sweettraci
40

I just went out to drive my car at lunch ( las Vegas) and the air will not turn on at all. i think i have the same issues. Where should i go for help?

UKBleu
115

My A/C went out again last weekend on Saturday. By Sunday it was back up and running again, all on its own and cold as ever. I took it into the dealership this week for the third time with this same issue. Once again, they were stumped after running a variety of automated and manual electrical tests. All readings came back normal throughout the day. Prior mechanical and pressure tests came back normal as well. What the heck is it?!

JunnieBaby65
30

Same here. I just bought honda civic 2010 3 weeks ago and I have same problem. I've notice that it was happening it it is above 75 degrees outside. Now i'm stuck. I am willing to join action law suit if this does'nt get fix by my dealer were I bought the car. I'm glad I visited this site.

Julie Powell-Cortez
20

We bought a 2009 honda civic and its doing the same thing; the a/c either starts blowing hot air or sometimes it just won't come on all together. Our car is always serviced on time (and documented) so its not us not taking care of the vehicle. Very disappointing to see all these complaints. This is definitely a Honda flaw.

Shelleyham
10

We are having the same problems in our 2008 Civic. Our local mechanic says he's pretty sure its a restriction in the system, caused by the breaking of the bag that holds the desiccant (pellet drying agent). He also said this can be caused by collisions. The car has never been wrecked. This appears to be a chronic problem with Honda. $$$

mikeshonda
30

2010 Civic and I had the entire compressor and clutch and the rest of the AC replaced at Honda dealership. Cost 980.00 bucks. worked for a year and half and now its totally shot again. checked all levels of coolant and took it for second opinion and the ac guy said it would be 800.00 to 1200.00 to repair. told me he'd have to pull the entire system. I have a line by line of what he would do. it matches what Honda already did a year and half ago. this should be recalled.

Pamme
10

Pam-I have a 2008 Honda Civic with the same problem. I noticed a few weeks ago that the air would stop blowing cold and then start up again. Now on the way to work today it only blow warm air. I live in Florida but luckily it wasn't to hot today so I used outside air which was cooler than the ac air. I am very disappointed to hear of so many of the same problems. I have owned Honda's all my life and have always bragged on how dependable they are. Now I feel a little let down by the way Honda is handling this problem! I hope they will step up to the plate and take responsibility for this problem. Unfortunately someone usually has to die before they do it willingly. Good luck to everyone!

mikeb172
20

Same here. 2007 Honda Civic SI. At about 74000 miles I noticed that the AC would kick off in traffic. It got worse from there. Now, if I run the AC it works great for about 20 minutes. Then, the pump kicks off and blows warm air. We recharged the system but that didn't fix it.

Vanity Tolbert Howard
0

I just got a 06 Honda civic annd my heat was working fine now it just stoped only had my car for about 2weeks its to cold i can't deal

shatcher
10

The 2009 Honda Civic I bought for my daugher 5 years ago has started having A/C problems. The first was the relay switch - $12 part and $200 labor at the Honda dealership. Now the a/c works intermittently - sometimes it works (fan blowing) and other times it doesn't (no fan blowing). There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when it works. The Honda dealer denies any common a/c problems, as many have stated before. I would like to be a part of the class action lawsuit if it materializes.

UKBleu
115

Update - both of our 2008 Civics are still having issues, even after numerous visits to the dealership. It has gotten to the point that the dealership does not even charge us the diagnostic fee anymore because they cannot figure it out. In both Civics, the heater works but A/C condenser and blower are intermittent (not always both at the same time). Man up, Honda.

You think this is helpful.
UKBleu
115

Lin Law Firm - If you are a recent visitor, please post here but also head to the Lin Law Firm website and submit a form for your scenario - even if you are outside of the stated 2009-2012 in the description. They are currently researching this general Honda issue. http://www.thelinlawfirm.com/honda-civic-ac-condenser-problems/

Jenny Hamilton
280

Great. I don't qualify

Jenny Hamilton
280

I'll submit it anyway hoping they might reach a settlement. Thanks UKBLEU

UKBleu
115

Jenny, please do - you're welcome. It is only their research at this point - nothing formal - so it may change over time. I do not fit the description exactly either, but went ahead and put my info into their system just in case.

Jenny Hamilton
280

Thanks again. I just submitted mine too. Thanks again. Here's the link for everyone else. I posted it as well on my Facebook page. This might spread like wild fire if people share it on Facebook. http://www.thelinlawfirm.com/ honda-civic-ac-condenser- problems/

atguill
10

I am having the same issues with my 2006. I haven't taken it in yet... was going to wait, but it is SO warm here still. It makes me so mad. I had the issue with Camber arm as well and had to shell out $$$ for a new one and new tires all the time. Now there is a class action law suit on that. I probably wont buy an Honda again. Ill let yall know how the AC issue turns out. I called them and they did admit an issue with Civics and AC, but said it could cost $200-$3000.

TurboRiceCooker
0

My experiences so far with my '06 Civic EX: -I do not drive agressively at all, but I seem to go through more tires than a Formula One racer. I heard rumors the rear axel is an inch or two too short and causes uneven tire wear. -My transmission gave out at ~150,000km. Got the replaced because I only had the car for 3 years. -A/C system: for 1-2 years now my fan blower randomly comes on and off regardless if the AC button is pressed. For 6-9 months now I have been hearing grinding from what I know now is the compressor. Today it seized, and I'm at about 280,000 km. This blew my alternator belt at probably the most inconvenient time possible. I decided that instead of replacing this POS AC system (that will fail in a year anyway) to get the shorter belt and bypass it altogether. Needless to say; Honda should be ashamed of themselves and I will seriously consider any other car company before I purchase another Honda.

ziggy29
10

My wife's '06 Civic just started having this problem. The first place she took it to suggested it was a compressor (gulp). We took it to another garage closer to home for inspection and estimate, and he said it was almost certainly NOT the compressor but some electrical short or ground problem or something causing the AC to not work properly. (I should add they charged us nothing for their time.) He suggested we need to take it to a Honda dealer because it seems like a rather specialized problem. We've had other electrical issues with this car in the past: the CD and radio stopped working for a while as none of the controls (volume, tuner, CD buttons) worked. They started working again a little while later. The auxiliary jack stopped working about three years ago and still doesn't work. There's clearly and electrical and/or computer problem in this thing, I think.

Grandot
0

My '07 Civic has worked like a charm for the five years I've owned it. Unusually cold winter here in Memphis. All of a sudden my car is sluggish on starting after sitting for hours in the cold. New battery Aug '13; took car back to place where battery purchased; had them replace it in Dec '13. Still sluggish start. Today I took it back to Honda dealer who has just quoted me $135 to replace A/C clutch main relay switch. It was draining my battery!!!! the only problem I've had with A/C is that musty smell mentioned above. I will pursue this further as I don't have $135 to throw away. Thanks to all of you for your posts. My "family" mechanic had never heard of such a problem and neither had I !!!

riv1234
20

Hi Mark I had a battery problem and had them put in a new one yesterday, this morning my battery was dead. I returned to the Honda dealership and was told that my AC was running continuous even with the key turn off. He told me my switch in the car was not shutting down properly and said they would have to replace my ac switch inside the car but it came as a complete unit therefore the cost would be $ 364.00. My question is this something that could be a defect and should I Honda dealer to investigate further for this defective switch..

David Nelson
0

Ditto 2009 Civic with 95K, A/C doesn't come on in hotter temps until the car has run for 10-15mins or so. Then all comes on okay. I have a feeling it will completely die someday soon.

Jeanne LeMaster
30

Owner of 2010 Civic. A/C problems like everyone else. My heat always works if I turn it on... but the A/C works whenever it feels like it. At first the A/C would stop working when I was on a long trip... but seemed to "reboot" if I shut down the car and restarted it. Then one day seemingly out of the blue the intermittent a/c troubles started. When it does work, it's wonderfully cold.. when it doesn't... I live in FL... and summer is coming... no a/c is a beast. I have an appointment at the Honda dealer tomorrow. From the posts here... I'm not too hopeful... but did go to the law firm link mentioned above and added my name to the list.

You think this is helpful.
Mariel Gonzaalez
10

2010 honda civic XL. We were looking for an answer about the problem in the ac of our car, we already paid twice for service in the Honda dealership, we would like to sign in the llist.

Saustin
0

Jenny.....we have a 2012 Honda Civic Coupe....haven't had it for 9 months....a/c worked perfectly last Summer when we bought the car....tried to use the a/c for the first time this year today and no a/c.....nothing but warm air......I wish I would have seen this before and I would NEVER had bought another Honda.....had a Honda Civic prior to this one....it was a 1998 with 250,000 miles on it so I thought that when the a/c started acting up a couple years ago AFTER sitting in the hot sun for awhile...that it was just the age and mileage....tried replacing many things and nothing would work....sometimes it would come on in the mornings after sitting in the garage all night.....but sure enough...once it set outside in the sun while I was at work....it would not come on.....so finally decided to buy this 2012....and like I said...worked perfect last Summer.....and now coming into a/c season....I'll be dang if NO a/c today!!!! I'm so upset....please let me know if you all are filing a class action and I'm IN on it!!! I still have the older Honda and that will be included too....however a 2012 having this issue?? Give me a break!!! Honda HAS to know that this is a issue and yet they are not addressing it or having a recall? Like I said...I wish I would have seen this thread prior to buying this second Honda!! What is the lastest feedback anyone has gotten? Thanks for any information!

teh3vilpill0w
40

I've got a 2008 civic lx with 90k. My compressor just won't turn off. Ever. Its wreaking havoc on my battery and completely throwing my idle off when it releases pressure to the point of stalling constantly. I can't even drive it now. I'm guessing its a relay problem. Or the clutch is just stuck open. I'm gonna try replacing the relay first, hopefully that does the trick. Anyone else have this problem?

Teresa Tymn
30

My A/C in my 2007 Honda Civic went out a year ago. Took it to a mechanic and they said mechanical failure. Not sure how this happened. I live in Southern California, so no a/c is not an option! I would like to add to this list. I have owned three prior Honda's, with no problems. I bought the 2007 brand new and within two years needed a new engine. YES, A NEW ENGINE. Apparently, my car was on a line that the engine was not sealed properly. Since then, I have received letters on several recalls; first the engine (now Honda has extended the warranty to 8 years from the date of purchase), then the paint job (didn't get that one right either-anyone's paint look like its fading away or acid has been dropped on it? Blame Honda, they weren't painted right, also Honda will repaint, but you will not get a rental from them since "Honda is being proactive in fixing the problem", as the dealer states), visors- let's talk about these cheap things, anyone's visor split and falling off? Yes, they have been recalled too! Don't let me forget your tires might be wearing too! Oh yeah, there's a problem in the axle or something. You may be able to get some money back if you bought lots of tires AND KEPT THE RECEIPT! If I get one more recall item, I am going to scream. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy a Honda again. I know some say they fixed it right? Yes, they did, but on some things they were difficult and honestly if I buy a new car I don't want several issues with it.

ColdACinMyCivic
30

Took my 2007 Civic Si in for this issue, to a shop I trust very much. Explained how my AC would work for 10 minutes, than would shut off, especially if it was hot out or car was idling. They found the problem and said it is common with the Civic and there is a TSB issued for it. The AC Relay breaks and stays open. This causes the AC Clutch Solenoid to get blasted with electricity and it eventually fails. The fix for me was a new AC Clutch Solenoid, AC Clutch, and AC Relay. $1,000 to fix.

bulshivic
10

I have a 1999 Honda Civic model and I am experiencing the same with aircon issues. Whenever it's really traffic or the car is slow moving, aircon suddenly releases warm air! We checked the freon level and it's still okay. But why Honda. :(

Carol Soucy Ste Claire
20

Hello. I also have a 2008 honda civic with the same ac problems. Has anything ever been resolved with this issue? Is there any formal complaint to Honda being organized? I would ver much like to participate.

atguill
10

I had my compressor replaced. I have not heard of anything as far as a lawsuit yet. Honda quoted me 1100 to fix, got fixed at a local place for $600. Cold air blowing now.

Carol Soucy Ste Claire
20

I have someone who can do it for 800. So, what happens if Honda decides to do the right thing and recall the cars with this problem? Can I get reimbursed?

Sangeeta Sharma
0

I have Honda civic 2012 and only 16000 mileage and have been to the dealer three times to fix the air-conditioner and yesterday once again the it is blowing warm air. Needs to be fixed once again

Sangeeta Sharma
0

When will this end...........disgusted

LauraAGood
20

I am having the same issues with my 2010 Honda Civic DX. The AC has been making some strange noises since I replaced my Air Filter. Had it checked several times, and was told it was just trash in the system, but would not cause any problems. Last week my ac was working in the morning, but not in the afternoon or evening. Then my battery started to be drained over night and had to be jumped. I have had the battery checked by two separate mechanics and the battery is in perfect condition, however it would not start in the mornings for three days straight. I unplugged the positive side of my battery one night and reconnected it the next morning and the car started right up. My car was also start to sputter like it was going to cut off at stop lights or when idling during a turn when I would go to try to accelerate. everything seems so random that I was assuming it was an electrical or computer related issue until reading these posts. Now I am not sure what to do/try. I filed my comments with the law firm. Knowing that the class action process takes years, what should we do in the meantime if buying a new vehicle is not an option? I do not want to have to replace the entire system, but would like more info on the relay and switch comments above. My AC will blow cold air in the afternoon at times when the switch is turned off..but blows hot air when the switch is on. I am frustrated and have no clue what to try next.

jdlebo
30

2007 Honda Civic Si, A/C blows cold for a while, then stops. Acts like the compressor is not being turned on. Has been recharged, but didn't help.

DaveCayshe
0

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX and I brought my car in for routine maintenance and the mechanic tells me I need my ac compressor replaced for $1400. My AC pumps out cold air perfectly but I did notice my car makes a noise when I flip it on. Not a very noticeable noise. I don't really even use the air conditioning so would it be detrimental if I don't replace it?

richardfountain1979
10

I own a 2008 honda civic. Bought it brand new from a dealership in Houston. Motor mount broke, paint has been recalled, and now the a/c problem. All these issues seem to be familiar with all the unfortunate HONDA owners on this forum. Glad to say this will be my last honda to ever own.

3001
0

I own 2008 honda civic.Last year our a/c started to stop working in the middle of drive.It did work later.We took it to the dealer,they could not find anything wrong,we paid for diagnostic test.This year it does not work most of the time and if does then blow of the air is slow,after few minutes it stops working and hot air comes out.We are taking this car to the dealerI for another test.I will write a letter to Honda Canada seeking answers to this issues.

laurberb
10

I own a 2008 Honda Civic and my air conditioner stopped working in the middle of a drive. Every time it would get very hot out it would stop working for a short period of time but this time it's just blowing out warm air. I know there was no leak because my Freon is full. How can I go about getting involved in a class action law suite??

Tommalie8910
0

So it doesn't sound like anyone has a fix to this. The compressor gets replaced but then breaks later. The blower gets fixed and again breaks later. AC compressor, clutch, coil set replacement doesnt sound like it works either. So before I bring my car to the shop, which will probably have the AC working when it goes of coarse, what is the magic fix? My AC will just randomly turn off. Sometimes it takes a minute to come back on, sometimes it takes a whole drive home. Doesn't happen that often, but we've had it recharged already. The cabin filter has been changed recently but I will do that again when I get home. The lights on our factory radio are out and have been a long time, but just makes me wonder if it's a short in the electrical somewhere? I had this same problem in my xterra, but after awhile it actually started overheating - If I recall correctly, it was the radiator or something and the AC has worked fine ever since. So whats' the likely hood that it's a small radiator leak???????? And my stupid visor is broken too - but I doubt they will fix that now. I have a 2007 civic with 150k on it or so?

XLIV
0

My 2007 Honda Civic Si has 69,500 miles and the A/C just started messing up. It blows cold then out of nowhere it starts blowing hot. It is driving me crazy so I brought it to the dealership for repair. Its been at the dealership for 3 days now and they still can't figure out what is going on. Im getting frustrated.

Jeerry
40

2009 Honda Civic, Idles rough when coming to a complete stop, AC been cold especially on 100 F deg temps. Left the car in the garage and took the motorcycle. Following morning Civic won't start, dead battery. Charged the battery, then the AC compressor relieve valve shot freon out. Felt the clutch compressor and it was warm. Unplug the wires from the compressor and then heard a clicking noise. Clutch compressor was always on thus draining the battery. So here's my lesson learned: 1) If car idles rough when coming to a complete stop then stop driving car and do simple trouble shooting. Otherwise you will have to spend more $$$ for repairs. 2) With key out of ignition, unplug an plug wire connector to AC compressor. If you hear a clicking noise then AC Clutch Relay is stuck close causing the clutch to engage the compressor. 3) Unplugging compressor wire connector will disable power to clutch. Sorry no AC for this moment but this will allow you to drive your vehicle. Replace the AC Clutch Relay then connect your compressor wire connector. 4) WARNING ... if you drive your car with the clutch engage full time you will blow the compressor relieve valve. What that means is that now you have to recovery your freon 134A, replace the compressor relieve valve, evacuate the system, add oil, then recharge system. Wish I had known this symptoms now I have to spend more $$$$.

MisterRhino
10

My fiancé has a 2008 Civic (I think that is the year) and it has had a similar set of issues. First the AC would cut on whenever it wanted so I had her take it to the dealer and of course it was fine when they looked at it. The problem repeated and the same course of action was taken but this time it was not working while in the dealer’s care and it was a $60 problem, a relay if I recall. Next the ac blew nothing but warm air no matter the temp control. I did notice that on max AC it was more likely to stay warm than it would if just left alone. So of course it was taken to the dealer and the compressor and coils where replaced(about 900 bucks to fix). Two weeks later the car isn’t blowing anything at all. I was told over the phone that it may be a resistor behind the blower which is known to have issues anytime there was ac problems or work. My guess if this is true is that it is a faulty resistor that when at the end of its life cycle is not producing the right amount of voltage that is need to operate the ac causing sparatic times of operation and irregular commands to the cpu or rest of the ac circuit when to be cold or how high the fan speed is etc. I plan to investigate before spend any more money. Also if you have not had this happen at around 10,000 (10K) miles the engine block cracks. This is a defect arugment that I won and Honda replaced the motor at thier expense.

MisterRhino
10

*100000 miles (100K) not 10. sorry

civicACcrappedout
70

sounds like I have the exact same issue as all of you, $1293 repair bill. I'm in Canada. I assuming everyone in this forum is from the US. I'll be looking to see if there is a similar suit being considered in Canada.

Deltagirl5
20

2008 Honda civic with similar issues. Freon level is full. I live in Mississippi and we are having 90+ degrees now. AC will work just fine at night and even when it's overcast. However, as the day heats up and the sun is out, my AC will begin to blow warm air. I shut off the AC and wait about 5 minutes, turn the AC back on and voila (!) the AC begins to blow cold air. At times, it takes a little longer. The warm air episodes are getting closer together. Also, a strange occurrence...when it blows warm air...and right before the air blows cold again...there is a strange smell. Reminds me of an old AC window unit smell. Does this sound familiar with anyone else? I am in an area in MS that has very limited (only 2 actually) mechanics that will work on a Honda. A two hour trip away to take it to a dealer.....so I am trying to gather information before I make the trip.

chinadoll53
60

I have a 08 Honda Civic which I bought new off the lot & I've had problems with the A/C from the start.I took it back a few months later to the dealer & they had it check out & everything was ok according to them.Four days ago I took it in to a service shop for A/C service for which I was charged $100.95 & was told the compressor was out, I took it in this this morning to have it replaced for a total of $824.08 on the way home (30 mi trip)it started blowing hot again ! I called the mechanic shop where they worked on it & now i got to take it in once more.It seems that we are all experiencing the same problem & WE ALL NEED TO GET TOGETHER ! & make Honda own up toi this defective A/C system ASAP !

chinadoll53
60

oh & I forgot to include that I only have 57,000 miles on this 08 civic

Tim Bowden
20

2008 honda civic with 110k miles. A/C worked great last summer. It wasn't working so far this summer. I tried to put refrigerant in it but it was full. Then I found this post and realize it is a very common problem. I cleaned the cabin air filter and messed with the temp control. The a/c started working. This makes me think it is electrical. Is a new compressor the best fix for this or is it something else? I'm gonna sign the class action lawsuit right away.

jdlebo
30

Mine ended up being the A/C relay. Its a $25 -ish part ( from Honda ) or less from someone else and anyone here can replace it.

mikeshonda
30

Yeah but I've tried the freon levels and changed relays. This is a design flaw. How can they not offer to fix it?

bulshivic
10

I have a similar situation with my 99 Civic. When it's super traffic, aircon will emit hot air. But when I drive fast after that traffic jam, it will blow cold air again. But lately, even if I speed up after emitting warm air, it won't get cold! Had it estimated to different aircon specialist shops. They all have different opinions. Then, we had it repaired and they changed the compressor pulley/bearing assembly. After that, I didn't have problems anymore with my aircon. NOT IT'S FIXED AND I'M HAPPY :)

boilinginmycivic
40

Folks, add another one to the list with the same kind of issues that you all mentioned above. I have a 2008 Civic LX with 102,000 miles in Massachusetts area. The issue started last summer(2013) where my a/c stopped working so I took it took a local mechanic thinking it needed a re-charge. The mechanic called me back and said after he played with the fuses/relay etc.. it just started working again. That cost me $100 bucks but it kept working for the remainder of summer 2013. When the hot weather started again this year (2014), I started my a/c and lo and behold, it stopped working again! Having done more research on threads like these, I decided to play with the car myself a bit more. I figured out that if I pulled the relay switch out a little bit, the compressor would start running and cold air would start blowing. For a few days, it was intermittent where I could hear the compressor kicking in sometimes and then again shutting off. Then for a few days, it worked like there was no issue! Finally, when the weather turned really hot again, it stopped working completely and now this whole week it hasn't worked at all. So I finally caved in and took it to the dealer and told them my sob story. They comforted me with a new compressor for $1237! If a class action does start, do count me in!

José Velasquez
0

First the blower started going but a tap underneath the glove compartment on the passenger side would do the trick, now it's no longer blowing cold air. Honda Civic 2007.

farfield
40

I had the intermittent ac problem on my 2008 civic and fixed it with a belt sander. Determined it was the clutch gap when I ran the ac and put a steel rod carefully down next to the clutch while the ac was turned on and the clutch was disengaged. The rod stuck to the clutch - clutch coil working. Removed clutch through wheel well - take off tire and remove a couple of fasteners holding a plastic splash guard in place, clutch is right there! Removed the clutch plate and shortened the hub (with a sander lol) to narrow the clutch gap back down to normal. Reassembled and it works perfectly! Total cost $0.00 plus 2 hours of my time.

FedUpWithHonda
50

I have a 2006 Honda Civic LX with 115k on it. My compressor just fried last week. They want $1300 for a new one. I refuse to pay it, I'll just deal with the 90 degree heat. This is clearly a problem that Honda has not taken responsibility for. I've had nothing but problems with this Honda since the day I bought it. Honda quality and durability has gone right down the toilet. I will never buy another Honda again. I'll gladly join any class action lawsuit for the a/c compressors.

boilinginmycivic
40

FedUpWithHonda -- I'm with you. My last car was a Honda Accord and ended up having a similar issue costing me about $1k. I thought it was a one time thing and bought the Civic after it and now also had the same issue again! I too will not buy a Honda again.

393gt
30

I was here about a month ago with the same AC issues. My daughters 06 civic she bought over the winter. We never realized in March that it wasn't working here in upstate NY. I am a decent mechanic so what I found was it had a perfectly good charge as in no leaks. The lights on the dash worked when I switched it - the clutch would not engage the compressor. I tested at the clutch and found voltage when the switch was on and off as it should. I decided to take a gamble it was just the clutch. I found one on eBay for 109 shipped. I had to remove a couple of splash shields - and even unbolt the compressor to clear the clutch parts of the frame. The good part was I never had to let the refrigerant out. With a couple of sockets and some basic hand tools and snap ring pliers I was able to swap the old clutch. It works beautifully now. And it didn't cost 1300

chinadoll53
60

Hi all of you disgruntled Honda owners,just to let you all know that I've takened my 08 civic to the same shop where i had the compressor changed to have it checked out again as it was still throwing hot air intermittently & still no cold air ! the mechanics are all very helpful & understanding of my concerns with this problem.They have tried different ways of repairing my A/C all to no avail as of this date,but they informed me that they will work with it until they can get it to work satisfactory my only problem is that this is a 60 plus mile round trip & with todays gas prices it hurts a little lol ! But I will continue to seek a remedy to this problem.I took notes on alot of the feedback I've gotten & i will submit these to the mechanics.Please,please lets all get together & force Honda to accept responsibility for this & reimburse us all for our costs !Lets get this class action suit started ASAP !

im1234
100

Hi, I have a 2007 Honda civic and no AC! It only had 55,000 miles on it. They told me at the very least it will cost 175. and the most will be in the 800's. Meanwhile, I won't have a car, but the dealership will lease me a car for 30.00 a day while they work on mine. I don't want to pay that much money as I believe that Honda should take responsibility for it. Glad I saw these posts. Any word on a class action suit? What about Move On? We can all sign a petition to get Honda to do something.

im1234
100

It's called MoveOn.org Worth a try, though.

chinadoll53
60

Hey guys saw your post re: class action suit against Honda,well let me say that Moveon.org is a start we can all try going this way.Its worth a shot cause I'm fed up with paying for something that is not getting fixed !

LMSB
0

My 2007 Civic started experiencing the A/C problems when it had about 30K miles. It starts out blowing warm air and takes about 20 minutes to start blowing cold air ...or not. It's very iffy. One hot summer trip across Washington state, it didn't start blowing cold air until Snoqualmie Pass...where it was cooler anyway. It took 200 miles. One interesting thing: lately I leave all the A/C buttons in the ON position when I start the car up and it seems to start blowing cold air sooner. But that could change tomorrow. Also, it has to be the MAX/AC. I'm annoyed that the problem started when the car had less than 30k miles. And had not run the A/C that much being in the Seattle area. Not right... The dealer wasn't helpful!

cspa
0

I have 2008 civic honda. I have problem with the zircon. When outside temperature is too hot (95 degree F) the aircon blows hot air instead of cool air. When I took it to Honda dealer they said it is the compressor. They charge me 1000K +. I will join the bandwagon for a clash action against Honda.

chinadoll53
60

Hi you all ! I'm very happy to hear that most,if not all of us, have agreeded on the same solution to this on going problem with Honda's A/C & that is to start a class action suit against Honda & make them pay or reimburse ,those of us who have paid to try to fix this problem.It seems that we all are having the same problem with the A/C & it blowing HOT air !! BTW i'v got another appointment with the shop who installed the compressor to try & find out what is causing it to blow hot air when its really hot outside.All i can say is that i'm glad that they are working with me on trying to find a solution to this on going situation.

Duanedd
0

I have an 06 civic with the same problem. Dealer quoted me $850 for a new compressor. Called Meineke and they said the compressor is $115 but they would have to look at it to quote the labor. 130k miles on the car. The horn intermittently just beeps as well. It really hasn't been a bad car though, just the basic maintenance until now.

fbson395
60

I'm a retired a/c refrigeration person. My daughter in Laws has a 07 honda with A/c problems also. Works then stops.This type of problem must be in the controls. Not the compressor. After looking at the schematic I believe the problem is the evaporator Temperture Sensor which is located in the evaporator and very Time comsuming to change. The part is only $25 but the labor in the hundreds. That could be why honda looks the other way.

You think this is helpful.
erin11800
0

My 2008 civic ex air just went, i have about 80,000 miles. But i also had a blown engine at 35,000 miles. Which honda fixed, only after my dad about ripped the mechanics head off that suggested it would not be covered by warranty.... anyways. I had the $125 test done and it came back fine. I also have had an issue for awhile now where my dash/radio lights come on and off and some lights on the radio do not work at all. The mechanic is going to try rewiring to see if this is an issue. Im not good with "cars" and my dad passed away last year so i dont know if this is a good decision. All and all whether it works or not, the A/c test as well as the wiring will total $300. I hate this car. It has been down grated to my husbands "beater" but even a beater needs A/C when its in the 90's

Wendy Echeverri
40

I'm super glad I found this thread of Honda Civic complaints. I have an 07 Civic EX, bought new off the lot and 3 years later, I moved to S.Florida and the AC kept shutting off in 80+ degree weather! We took it into the local dealer since we still had warranty (thank God) and they couldn't figure out the problem as they kept telling us to return when the AC shuts off versus while it's working. Service Dept decided it was the AC "blower" behind the glove box. They replaced it and it works great until now Spring 2014. I first noticed the problem when turning on the Max AC, my passengers claimed it wasn't blowing as cold as Max AC should go (mind you the South gets 90+ temps). In Spring 2014, just 3.5 yrs after getting the "blower" replaced the AC would shut off on its own, then start back up and eventually blow hot outside air at me. My local Houston Honda dealer couldn't find the problem again, charging up the AC and claiming it was a minor leak. After a second look, the service guys decided it was the AC clutch and coils and it's an $880 job. -- Pisses me off that Honda obviously has a defective AC unit installed in our vehicles and I don't see signs of a recall? I am reading some of you have this issue at 85k miles and while I don't recall the mileage at 3 yrs when the initial problem started. 3 years is a relatively YOUNG car for defects. American Honda Motor Co..We need a FREE AC unit replacement or the replacement money BACK!!

You think this is helpful.
chinadoll53
60

Hi Wendy, isnt it frustrating that Honda Motors will not accept blame on this defective A/C units.Like I said before my Honda Civic was showing this problem right off the lot & I returned it & had it checked out & they said all was good with it.But I live in California & the summers are scorchers & I have to put up with my A/C blowing hot air as soon as the temperature rises ! I've already invested over a $1000 on repairs to it and yet it remains the same,& like you I think Honda should accept responsibilty & either fix this problem or reimburse us.

im1234
100

(call these numbers; they're trying to get us our money back and will complain to Honda)BBB AUTO SECTION: 800-955- 5100 3) call the FTC: 877-438-4338 4) and the Lin Law Firm who is investigating claims that they are considering class action status regarding Honda Civics air condesor where debris hits the unit and causes damage for vehicles under warranty. But, they've already gotten about a dozen calls, and are still investigating the issue and it may include the issues being discussed on this thread as well, if enough people are found to be affected: 909-595-5522. This should be a start.

im1234
100

If all of the people who posted call the BBB, and the FTC something will be done. Keep your receipts and any money you spent on having your a/c repaired. BBB will send you a form to fill out in which you will have to attach receipts. Let's get this moving.

fisher2014
10

I just found out my 2012 Honda Civic LX had the A/C problem. I was told "the compressor didn't turn on" after A/C performance check and the total cost of replacing one (refurbished not even brand new compressor) plus labor is over $1100. Considering the mileage is below 15000 miles, this "brand new" car is running without AC in such hot weather. I do believe this is "factory defect" of Honda Civic after reading above posts.

Jeerry
40

It's sad that a majority here have to rely on a mechanic to troubleshoot AC problems and pay $$$ for repairs. Fortunate I am that I am mechanically incline and have YouTube as well as Google for DIY and troubleshooting answers. I have to wonder if these shops charge $$$ for something such as a compressor just to turn a profit when it could be a simple part such as the AC relay. Again, I just wonder.

FedUpWithHonda
50

@Jeerry. I can only speak for myself but I checked to see if my Civic was low on R134a, a/c relays, blown fuses. This is my second Honda Civic. My first Civic was a '95 and the compressor blew at 110k, my 2006 Civic has blown it's compressor (I'm pretty sure it's the a/c compressor clutch) at 115k . Reading this forum, it's almost like Honda Civic compressors have a self destruct sequence on them. For Honda it's probably one of their big money generators, so they intentionally make the compressors knowing they will burn out somewhere between 80k-120k miles and for some people even earlier than that.

Jeerry
40

@FedUpWithHonda, Here's what I think is going on based on my experience and other replies. The AC relay contact is under rated and is not capable of handling the current draw. When this happens the relay contacts are stuck closed (fused together) thus causing the AC compressor clutch to stay energized. The results are, the magnetic coil that operates the clutch burns up and it is cost effective for the repair shop to replace the entire AC compressor then repairing it. Hence the huge price tag. If what I conclude is what's happening, then the temporary solution would be to install a indicating light/led in the dash board to monitor the 12 VDC power going to the AC compressor clutch. If the indicating light/led stays continuously on, then the AC relay is defective. This will be the first clue to get it replace and saviing the AC compressor magnetic coil or AC compressor.

chinadoll53
60

Hey guys I find all this feedback very interesting & very helpful ! Be assured that I will call these numbers & I urge all the rest of you who are having problems to do the same. Hopefully we'll get some answers or better yet a remedy to our problem & also get some reimbursement of what we've spent already ! Thanks to all of you who are following these threads & for all the support we've given each other.

kurtisfromva
10

I am also experiencing the same problems with my 2006 Civic EX. The A/C only works for the first few minutes the car runs and then shuts off for hours. At first Due to the length of time the compressor remained cut off I decided to test the thermal protection saftey on the compressor, however after bypassing that it is clear that it is something else. The only other thing I could think of is the evaporator temperature sensor. A retired HVAC mechanic stated earlier that a defective evaporator temperature sensor is probably the problem and being a HVAC technician myself that is also the conclusion I have come to. It is an absolute nightmare to fix as he suggested.To get to the sensor I will literally have to rip the whole dash out. If it was the sensor it is not cutting the A/C back on as the coil warms up which has me worried because the evaporator heating up should cut the compressor back on. At any rate this Honda has really ticked me off and I don't see me doing any repeat business with them!!

Charles Crossan
130

Honda Civic – Defective Air Conditioning System. Recently having intermittent AC problems with Honda Civic 2007 with 122K miles. Cabin air filter is good. Added one can R-134a refrigerant. No apparent leaks. Under normal driving conditions with outside temperature 90 degrees/humidity 45% Honda Civic air condition starts blowing hot air. Upon engine compartment inspection AC hoses running to interior evaporator unit are hot. Air compressor clutch is not engaged. AC high and low pressure reads abnormal 125/125 psi. Refrigerant is not circulating through the system and AC blows hot air. After engine cool down air compressor clutch is engaged. AC high and low pressure reads normal 200/36 psi. Refrigerant is circulating and AC blows cold air. Discovered many posts relating to defective Honda Civic AC compressors with repair costs of over $1000. Do not believe this system should prematurely fail. Plan to contact Honda directly to determine the outcome of this problem. Thank you

Doug Hartlaub
10

same thing here!! i have a 2006 honda civic. when my car sits in hot sun and i go to turn it on. the AC doesn't work at all nothing blows out. until i start driving or running it for 20 mins.. i took it to the car dealership 4 times already and they replaced relay and electrical panal at AC knobs.. still doesn't work. only way anything would show up on there electrical test is if i get it up to the honda dealership before it starts working agian.. luckly for me it started happening a day after i bought the car so it has been free no charge! but getting ready to take car back and trade in for another vehicle.. car only has 39,000 for a 06 so i hate to get rid of it due to such low miles... any one figure it out yet????

Charles Crossan
130

Did some troubleshooting and discovered a defective AC compressor clutch relay. Had no voltage to compressor clutch (blue/red wire at connector). Swapped ac condenser fan relay and clutch relay (same type relays). System now appears to be functioning. Kind of weird because ac compressor fan motor runs with suspect relay. Stand-down on bashing Honda as I can handle changing a relay. Helps to have repair manual with schematics, technical knowledge, and tools. Plan replace relay part # Mitsuba 7001 2 6020, and monitor system operation.

Jeerry
40

@ Charles, Although the compressor clutch relay worked on the Condenser fan relay it is still bad. Place an ohm meter on the contact side and measure the resistance. Apply 12 vdc to the coil side to energize the relay. The ohm meter should read 0 ohms ± the meter lead resistance. If you have a high resistance, then the contact side of the relay has a built up of carbon causing a high resistance. This is the best way to troubleshoot a relay and not by swapping it to another circuit/section.

Jeerry
40

@ Charles, , performed the above test outside of the vehicle (relay not plugged in).

Charles Crossan
130

You are right the coil resistance reads good. And because it is an intermittent problem indications are the contacts are in fact bad. I could test it in a test bed, but would rather just replace it. The swap method was the fastest and easiest. As long as you know what you are doing. I had the schematic, and was able to isolate both circuits. The reason the ac condenser fan stills runs is because the circuit is in parallel with another fan control relay.

Charles Crossan
130

OBTW the relay part number is 39794-SDA-A05 and is available from Amazon for about $18.50. May also be able locally for additional cost.

Susanjane
0

I have a 2008 civic. Same problem as all of you. I have read a lot of responses but if someone could repost where I should sign or call to get this fixed etc. I live in florida and its summer and hot! Thank you.

Charles Crossan
130

Your best bet is a repair garage or Honda dealer. I am currently troubleshooting an AC problem and not sure the AC compressor is the fault. Have read many posts and appears it is typical worst case. Replacement compressors run $200-500, and labor $500-800. Furthermore, because the problem is not safety related, Honda may never do a recall. Hope this helps.

chinadoll53
60

WoW ! Charles thats hard to swaollow,saying Honda may never do a recall on this on going problem with the A/C . I really hope Honda does not ignore all of us who are having this problem.I'm totally with Kurtisfromva & never purchasing another Honda product,btw,this is my 3rd & last honda !!.I dont think we are bashing Honda without merit this is a very frustrating problem.I'm having to endure over a 100 degree heat here in California & if Honda would at the most look into it ,I for one would be so happy ! Well all there is for me to do at this time is to continue to try & have it repaired,& guys & gals all your input is very helpful & i hope one of the suggestions will be the answer to our problems ...Thanks to all of you !!

Jenny Hamilton
280

Hi all. Well, I lucked out in the ac dept if you call it luck. I was in an accident in Feb, totalled my Honda Civic and was forced to purchase a new one. But, ended up getting a Saturn Ion 06 two months prior to the recalls being publicized. But, good news is my Saturn drives well, has 78k miles and I purchased the extended warranty which mean the most I'll be paying for high priced engine or car issue is the deductible. Gets great mileage. Air works better than the Honda ac ever did. It's kinda bad you see totalling your vehicle as a good thing, especially since it was paid off. Good luck everyone. I keep reading your posts and if ever they decide to take responsibility for the issue, I'll be there to testify.

FedUpWithHonda
50

Honda will end up costing themselves so much more money by not fixing these air conditioning issues. I've been driving Honda cars since I turned 16 in 1998, but I will never ever buy another Honda car again after two Civics in a row blew their compressor. If you look at the reviews of 8th generation Honda Civics (that's models 2006-2011), they've had a plethora of problems. On mine I've had the visor recall, rear upper control arm design flaw that caused tires to wear out sooner, and a bad coolant sensor. 8th generation Honda Civics are also a risk for a cracked engine block caused buy Honda not properly sealing things. They did extend the warranty on the engines for my 2006 Civic for 10 years and unlimited miles, but a month before that warranty expires at the beginning of 2016....it's goodbye to Honda forever!

Jenny Hamilton
280

I've had the exact same issues along with the visor, control arm, ac, and I didn't have the cracked engine block, but I was using too much oil for the age of the car. Like I said. I'm lucky I totaled my car, and the control arm issue was a joke because they didn't pay me anything on the tires I went through. Honda use to stand behind their products. Not anymore. I feel lucky to have my Saturn despite the ignition switch recall because I get great gas mileage and my ac works great.

Richard Kies II
10

I have an 09 Civic with 84k miles, AC system completely died. I also called the BBB as I had to shell out 1650 to get the A/C condenser and compressor replaced!

Keys57
20

I have a 2010 Honda Civix with 18K miles A/C like all of he previous comments DOES NOT WORK! I checked the freon and the condensor fan everything seems to work. The blower inside works great however it ends up blowing Hot Air. The low pressure line gets cold in the engine compartment, it appears that the hot water does not shut off to the cabin area. I'm now in the process of rotating the temperature selector to see if there's flaw it could be the resistor that is mentioned in previous blogs. It definetly looks like a recall is in order. I will sign unto the legal process.

Charles Crossan
130

The failed part was luckily a $20 compressor relay. The relay turns the compressor on and off to control coolant flow. The relay is in the engine compartment fuse box on the driver’s side, #12 in attached drawing.

You think this is helpful.
civicACcrappedout
70

Honda quoted me $1293 + tax. Got my compressor replaced at a local garage for $350 flat. Honda will never recall, this is a cash cow for them.

civicACcrappedout
70

... I should add that Honda had already convinced me to replace the compressor relay for $25 after charging me the diagnostic fee and telling me "This is soooo strange, these things normally go forever! You must be hard on it!"

Charles Crossan
130

Still monitoring the initial problem with relay, to see if there may be further issues (2007 Honda Civic over 122K). Believe AC Compressor relay failed under normal wear and tear. Relay contacts wear over time, just like the contacts of a point distributor in older cars, points and condenser must be replaced at regular maintenance intervals. Then again the AC compressor coil acts like a giant resistor, over time resistance may increase causing more current draw. Eventuality the compressor can go bad. There are Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) on electrical for this model year, but nothing on air conditioning really jumped out at me. TSBs are recommended steps and procedures for repairing vehicles. See: http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html So far the relay has fixed the problem, thanks.

Charles Crossan
130

Several posts indicate mechanical verses electrical failure on later model Honda Civics The AC compressor wears out internally and contaminates the system. Compressor, condenser, and potentially other components in the system require replacement. Metal particles circulating internally are a bad thing. This can be caused by manufacture defects, machine tolerances, improper lubrication, or a number of other factors. This is probably worst case. This can also cause excessive current draw, causing relays and compressor control coils to go bad.

alexpgreek
0

I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX at about 90,000 miles my AC started acting up and not blowing cold when the RPMs were low. When I was driving it blew cool but not nearly as cold as it used to. I brought it to a mechanic they replaced the dryer, expansion valve, compressor, and a transducer. Honda ever acknowledges they have a problem with their air conditioners on the 8th generation Civics I'll be shocked

ajnash007
0

I have a 2008 Honda Civic Si with 110,000 miles. I took my vehicle in a month ago because hot air was blowing out to the vents. They told me I did not have enough Freon. A week later I was still having issues of hot air blowing out of the vents. It would start cold and then hot. I went in recently and the guy said oh the compressor is not on so it is a clutch problem. When I talked to the woman later she asked how many miles do you have on your car? When I told her she said she was not surprised and that they have had 3 cars same year and make come in this summer with the same issue. When I said is there a recall she said no not unless there is a major problem with more cars and to call HONDA. She then told me it would cost me $700 to fix the issue. I am going to a local well trusted mechanic to see what their thoughts are concerning the issue and how much it will set me back. Glad I found this sight though...I have gone to The Lin Law Firm also.

Got2lovme
20

I had the same problem on my 2007 civic si.. I found adding pg46 ac oil to the car fixed it.. It been a month now no problems.. Car been sitting in 105 temp all day.. It 8 bucks for the ac oil is worth a try...

bryloms
0

i have the same problem mine is 2008 honda civic 112,000 miles , hope someone can organize and finalize for class action suit, i would gladly sign up.......

Charles Crossan
130

Good luck with filling a lawsuit. See my previous posts, replaced a $20 relay that fixed an AC problem in 2007 Honda Civic. Unit was blowing hot air intermittently, compressor clutch was not engaging. Hindsight suggests the AC system should be serviced at routine service intervals, at least around 100K. Add oil or Freon as needed; check pressure levels, etc… More better to do preventative maintenance rather than corrective maintenance. Wonder how many mechanics on these posts did not understand electricity, and end up replacing everything except the part that was actually bad.

Richard Kies II
10

Yeah I called the BBB as recommended in the thread and they told me to go pound sand. Such bullshit I can't believe that the AC completely died in this 09 Civic. I'm out $1700 on this piece of shit!

takeresponsibilityhonda
0

Just to add another to the post. I have a 2006 Honda Civic I bought brand new. At about 100,000 miles the A/C started working when I first started the car, but as the engine heats up or it has been sitting in the hot sun, it will not work. I have never taken it to the shop because my husband is capable of fixing it, but keeps putting it off. It has been my experience, Honda only recalls or fixes a problem when they are forced to. I had over $700 in repairs for another issue early on in the life of the car and it wasn't until a class action suit was filed, 2 months ago I finally got a check for a little over $400 of the costs. As the post stated above "the control arm issue was a joke because they didn't pay me anything on the tires I went through". As far as paying 1500- 1700 for an air compressor..., I don't know what to say, all the ones I am finding on the internet are only around $200 and it should probably not take more than 1-2 hours to install it. The quote I got from my dealership was only $600, which I still laughed at because fortunately my husband can do it. I wanted the quote in the event he never gets to it...

Sheila Sporkin-Edel
0

This site is wonderful and I hope we can get action ..... My sister and I each have a 2008 Honda Civic and had same problem with clutch coil.

TheZ0diac
0

My 2008 Civic LX same problem as others AC works for about 10 minutes then warm air. My mechanic has replaced the relay but its still not working properly Is there a class action in Canada?

Pinklady0010
0

My 2008 Civic EX has problems with the A/C.

chinadoll53
60

Hi Pinklady0010,welcome to the long list of dissatisfied Honda owners who are all going thru these same problems. I shelled out close to $900 bucks on a new compressor and guess what ?yup, its still giving me the same problems,including blowing hot air once the temp outside reaches high 90's im thinking of just getting rid of my 08 honda civic with 60,000 miles on it. Im sticking with a good reliable Chevy. I just feel bad about the trade in of my honda and giving my prblems with the a/c to some poor fellow......

lboucher26
0

I wanted to add myself to this list. 2008 honda civic. AC would every once in a blue moon stop working, generally sitting in stop and go, when its hot, then it would suddenly start working again. Looks like its the relay in my case. Just scroll up and you will find an image showing which relay it is, and even a link to the replacement pn. Hopefully this isn't just a symptom of a bigger problem.

Charles Crossan
130

Yep, replaced the AC compressor clutch relay about two months ago. Have put over 4000 miles on 2007 Honda Civic including a trip across the desert from San Diego to Vegas and back. No more intermittent AC problems. Glad to have helped.

joonyaboy
10

I'm gonna try the relay replacement. Anybody tried unhooking your battery and reconnecting? That fixed the issue for us for about a year. Also, a couple hundred complaints is not gonna cause a recall, especially if its not related to safety. That's not how these things work.

Charles Crossan
130

Battery terminals will not reset the air conditioning relay. The relay gets power from battery, ignition switch, and AC controls. The relay does not interface with the onboard computer where you may have have reset trouble codes relating an engine check light or other issue. If you suspect the relay, suggest swapping it with another relay from the other circuit that I described in an earlier post. You do not need to disconnect the battery to do this, but should not have the ignition switch turned on. If the intermittent problem goes away replace the defective relay. Internal relay contacts can go bad from normal wear and tear. Thanks and good luck.

You think this is helpful.
TheZ0diac
0

I replaced my relay with a new one from Honda, My AC worked for about 20 minutes then stopped working on and off for about a week....now it's totally not working again. Honda should warranty this BS.

Anell Rapozo
10

I had the same problem (honda civic 2006). I live in a tropical country dominican republic so its hot the entire yea. the problem is in a rubber junction that connects the compressor with another part. I am not really sure how its called but after a time that rubber junction deteriorates and compressor does not hook up correctly. You gotta use sandpaperto clean that metallic part (looks like a disk) and the problem will be fixed.