loss of power while driving

32geoff
60

Asked by Dec 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM about the 2010 Ford Edge Limited

today, while driving, the vehicle simply lost all power and had to be immediately pulled over.  after a few minutes tried to start the vehicle and it worked fine.  driving conditions were cold and wet.  this is a brand new edge.  anybody know what could cause such a thing.  at a close by dealership now awaiting analysis.

link
50

The same problem happened to our Edge on 3 separate occasions during cold weather. Our Edge is a 2009 model with 15,000 miles. A local dealer had the car for 3 days and could not find the problem. We were told to bring the car back when the problem becomes more frequent. Lets hope no one is killed the next time this happens. Please let us know if your dealer solves the problem.

Simon Charbonneau
45

It might be the traction control that engaged with no reason... I know I loose power big time when it engages in deep snow!

32geoff
60

So sorry it took this long to reply, as I stopped looking back at this message. Yes the dealer did fix it, seeing as it has not re-occured. They said it was the starter cable not properly affixed to its place, thus eventually losing power. Took them most of the day to diagnose the problem. Knock on wood that it should never happen again. Hey maybe we could kick up enough fuss so to get Ford in front of the US Congress like poor Toyota has had to do over they faults. Geoff

cousinbrucie1
40

My Edge only has 5 K on it. While driving through a severe rain storm, it really lost power. I could hardly get up a small hill. I let it dry for 2 hours and took it to the dealership. It worked fine to the dealership and the next day they hooked it up to a computer and of course found nothing. It has worked fine since.

anjy834u
3,845

this is purely because of cold. get the heater checked. http://ford-edge.net/how-to-change-air-filter-on-ford-edge-2010/

cousinbrucie1
40

This happened once to me while driving through a rain storm. I. . waited a half hour and then the Edge worked fine. I've got 7K on it now and it only happened that one time. The dealership found nothing wrong.

parabellum
50

Im an ASE master cert. auto tech the replie on the cold causing it is bullshit . do not beleive that on working on my edge now and will post a proper correction.

OK MASTER TEC,waiteing on your fix,I call BS on you,to original poster glad you got it fixed.my uncle has a EDGE,had same thing happen to his,I found the same problem,loose connection at starter.

cko19
90

This has happened to me on three separate occasions (in the 16 months I have owned the vehicle) and usually at the worst time such as stuck on the highway in rush hour or turning and trying to go up a small hill. I have a 2010 Edge with only 15,000 miles on it. I took it into the dealer and they "could not replicate'. The only way to resolve is to drive it directly to the dealer when it happens - this is what they told me. The power comes back once the car is turned off and sits for a minute. Sounds to me like a computer problem but Ford cannot figure it out. I live in the south and it has happened when it was 90, 70 and 45 degrees out - so it has nothing to do with temperature. Also, it has happened when driving for 5 mins, 20 mins and an hour into a trip.

aarong0729
20

My Mom has an Edge, it happened to her a year ago, Ford dealer couldnt replicate. It just happened to her again on the hwy going 60mph. Just shut off, lost all power. And it was 80 degrees yesterday, so it has nothing to do with temp. Fucking Ford

Kenneth Alex
60

Yes I agree , with those that state it problem has nothing to do with the Temp . I just purchased 2007 edge and have had it stop pulling and over tach 3 times now twice on the highway traveling above 70MPH. and have taken it to the dealer twice. I they can't find the problem. just on Sunday Aug 01, 2013 loss of power backing out of family member driveway no power to back out had to shut the car off and reset to get power to back out of small incline driveway. This is BS big time to sell the general public a vehicle that has problems that put your life in danger out on our roadways ! I love my edge but don't care for this problem that ford just refuse to fix and address ! when you have had this problem reported this many times and no one has gotten a fix on this problem and it happening on the new models up to 2013 ! something has to be done about this before someone lose their life ! Do anyone has the answer to how to correct this problem since ford refuse to address or fix these bugs in their MKX and Edges ?

myfivopony
150

When you have this happen, do you also have a warning come up saying "AWD OFF?" That is what my 2011 has done twice. Both times we were able to shut car off and start back up and it is back to normal. Today it was about 65 degrees outside, and last month it was about 55 degress... temp not an issue.

Soccermom17
20

I got a brand new edge 2013 with only 5,000 miles. It has lost power 4 times and won't come back on for about 20 minutes. It has never happened while I was driving always when the vehicle has been turned off. I called Ford Headquarters and filed a complaint it is at the dealership now getting checked out. This is the third time I have taken it in for this problem. Sure hoping they find something.

Dale1952
60

Glad I found this board. We have a 2013 edge with only 1,100 miles on it. 3 times it has failed to start. No power no starter nothing. I let it sit for a few minutes then it started. yesterday as I was driving it stopped running, twice for no apparent reason. Just total loss of power. Same thing after I coasted out of traffic onto side street. Complete loss of power for several minutes. Then it started up. Towed to dealer. Dealer is scratching his head.....I can't be the only one this has happened to

Grif74
30

I agree that it has nothing to do with the temperature. I have a 2007 Ford edge and it has lost power on me 3 times in the past month while temps were 35F, 77F, and 54F. I have had the vehicle over 2 years now. My fix is the same as most of you, I turn the vehicle off, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then its fine. It's definitely a FORD manufacturing problem if we are all experiencing the very same issue.

roondog
50

I had my 2013 edge completely lose power the other day. Fortunately, I was close to home but it could have been disastrous if i was on the freeway. There was no warning, it simply lost all power. Its at the dealership now. They say it needs a new computer. I had not heard of problems with the edge prior to this incident.

justanedge
30

This is another owner with a brand new 2013 Edge losing power without warning. It was lightly raining and 50 degrees but surely what has that to do with anything when all other posts describe variable conditions. I have less than 3000 miles on mine and it just shut off and the dash read a warning of low oil pressure. I was pulling into a parking spot. Read where Chevy had some of these issues as well and didn't address them for years.

Prince Leftridge II
285

Everyone, I experienced this on our 2008 Ford Edge SE. Turned out to be a bad throttle body and it was replaced under warranty.

Anne Maybrown
0

I experienced this with a 2013 ford explorer. Three different occassions. Weather was dry. Once on a main hwy and the other two times on a side road. Very danerous. Ford has it now, but can't find anything wrong with it.

Sher100
460

My 2011 Lincoln MKX has lost power three times. The AWD OFF sign comes on, there is no response to throttle. Fortunately, I have been going slow in very little traffic at the time and was able to coast to the side of the road. I turned the car off, then back on and it was OK to go again. I have had it in to the dealership twice for repair but they are unable to replicate the problem and have offered no assurance that it won't happen again. I am very concerned this could happen in heavy highway traffic and cause a life-threatening collision. Is there a fix? Is there a recourse with the auto maker? Am most eager to find a solution.

mrkmbc
90

2014 Ford edge only had it two weeks and this happened in 90+ degree temp. Lost power and had the low oil pressure warning. Turned it back on fifteen minutes later and it ran fine. No hills or incline or decline.flat surface although there was a very small bump on the road right before which i had been through many times but slowed down and went over it with caution! It had oil and about half atank of gas! Ford needs to recall!

mrkmbc
90

At the dealership right now see what the tell me! Pfft

Gehad Fouad
20

I have 2007 Ford Edge, I live in dubai, it happens with me 3 times up to know, one time of them i was driving on 90 Mile in High way and it could cause my life, no body know what is the problem and i dont know how to fix it

Sher100
460

While I was driving my 2011 Lincoln MKX lost all power for the 4th time. When I pressed the throttle there was no response. Indicator lights said AWD OFF and displayed a wrench icon. I coasted to the side of the road. When this happened the first three times I turned the car off, restarted it and all was fine. I took it in for repair twice and the problem could not be identified or fixed. When it happened the 4th time this past week, I left the car running and called for a tow to the repair shop as my repairman had advised me. My car was "chugging" a bit and died while I waited for the tow. But the indicator lights stayed the same. The tow only required a brief time in neutral while the fella steered it onto his tow truck. The Ford/Lincoln service repairman checked out my car when it arrived at his shop and was able to read the event in the history, unlike previous attempts. Thankfully, he found a problem with the throttle, ordered new parts and my car is fixed! I am so relieved. Both my local dealership and the national Lincoln Customer Service people have been exceptionally helpful. Lincoln offered their expert service technicians to my local dealership, if needed I hope this helps you with your "loss of power" problems.

Doubless
190

I had exactly the same thing happen with my Lincoln MKX, 2011, only it happened 5 times and was in the shop 3 times. I read sher100's blog and took it to heart. I went to pick the car up from the third time in the shop and not being fixed because they could not replicate the problem. I was not 5 miles down the road and the infamous awd off and wrench showed up and I lost acceleration. I took the advice of sher100 and did not turn off the car, called the dealership and they sent a mechanic with a computer to see what the error code was, it was a code for a bad throttle, I will post the code when I get it because I am literally typing this while I wait. I do not know if this will fix the problem, but since they received a specific error code I will again drive the Lincoln without fear. My dealership was patient and helpful, I understand that if they could not get the error code, they could not find the problem. Once the car was turned on and then off again, the code was lost. They supplied me with a rental car for almost 3 weeks trying to replicate the problem. Ironically, it happened right away with me. They now know what the problem is and I am keeping a positive attitude that the problem will not reoccur!

Sher100
460

This is a follow up to my post 3 days ago: The part that was replaced in my 2011 Lincoln MKX is a throttle position switch.

Doubless
190

The code was P2221

Sher100
460

Am adding a correction / addition to previous posts on the subject of power loss. Have reviewed my invoice which indicates Code 2111, replaced throttle body assembly. Have had no problems since this repair.

jsteaveson
130

This just happened to me on my way home. 89 degrees and dry. complete loss of power in the center lane of heavy traffic. Could have caused a huge multi car pile up.

jsteaveson
130

ps.. this was a 2010 Ford Escape with 36,000 miles on it

Sher100
460

To jsteaveson: I am so glad that you did not have a major accident. Your experience is exactly what I feared might happen to me before my car was finally repaired. Best wishes in getting a proper fix in one trip to the Ford service department. Please let us know how this turns out for you.

bdey1111
40

This has happened 2x/s in past week in my 2011 Ford Edge. This morning it lost power on a major roadway at 50MPH. 75 degree and sunny so no weather connection. The car would not move past 1MPH literally. I could barely get it off the road. Once I turned off the car and restarted it, the car ran fine. Took the Edge for computer diagnostic, where no code came up, so the mechanic cleaned the throttle plates, etc and thought that would fix it. Then it happened again. Tried to follow Ford service direction and get it to dealership while "wrench" icon and situation was happening, but car stalled. when it was restarted, it ran fine again. Took it to dealership anyway where they charged me for another computer diagnostic just to say nothing coming up. I have been told to reprogram PCM for $160, or have throttle body replaced for $500--but they aren't sure if that is even the problem. Also have a passenger side door that sensor says it's open when it is closed. They want $469 to replace the door latch assembly. Apparently, that is a very common problem with this vehicle as well. This car is only 3 yrs old. I have never owned a vehicle with so many problems.

Gotalemon
110

I started having the "AWD off" error message on my 2012 Ford Explorer last month. I brought it to the dealership and they could not find the problem, even AFTER I brought them the comments from this website! Another writer posted that his car was fixed after they changed out the throttle body assembly. Well....it happened 5 more times this week, but this time the engine light stayed on. I just got the phone call from the dealership that it was indeed the throttle body assembly!!! Just like I told them last month! This will cost me about $508.00 to fix because I don't have an extended warranty and I have 48,000 miles on my car. I feel that Ford should be doing a recall of their vehicles. I just filed my complaint with the NHTSA and encourage anyone else having this problem to do the same thing. I will also call Ford and tell them that they should reimburse the $508 that I have to spend because they should be FULLY AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM. This is a safety issue. Someone is going to get killed on the interstate when they get rear ended due to this problem. It is a very scarey thing to have no control over your car while doing 70 mph on the highway!!!!!

Pastorharold
10

I'm looking to trade my 2011 MKX for the same reason. Vehicle dies for no apparent reason. My friend works at the Ford dealership and drove my MKX for a week with the computer hooked up. It finally died on him while idling in a parking lot. Guess what? No code came up. I'm going to tell him about the throttle switch today. Other than that, we love our vehicle. Just don't trust it. Thanks for the posts.

jamesjoneswv
80

A few months ago while I was deployed to Afghanistan my wife and 3 year old son were traveling down the expressway at 70 miles an hour when the vehicle (2001 edge sport) suddenly went into limp mode. They barely avoided being killed by the semi-truck behind them. It was diagnosed as a throttle body issue. I payed $250 to have it "cleaned". I recently returned from deployment and it happend on the highway again. I was told by ford customer care that there is nothing they would do due to it not falling into the throttle body recall Case#CAS5641548. I just wanted to thank Ford for there lack of assistance and inform them that a loyal Ford customer 2006 mustang, 2007 ranger, 2011 edge sport will never buy another ford. A problem that has been brought to thier attention by thousands of Ford owners has been ignored and has put my family in danger. First Sergeant James Horr USMC

Winnipeg68
0

I have had a similar problem on start up during extreme cold conditions (-30c). The vehicle had a block heater working and a gas line antifreeze added to the fuel. The vehicle sputtered and gave several electrical warnings failures on start up and would eventually stall. I left vehicle for a few hours and tried again and it ran normally. I do not have a explanation and the dealer could not duplicate.

Skullhaus
10

2008 Edge SEL - same exact problem happened to me two days ago from the date of this post. Had the oil changed, started fine. Driving home, stopped at a light to turn and it died. Tried turning it back on, it turns over, gets to 2000 rpm, then shuts off again. Read these posts and tried letting it sit, didn't work. Have it at the dealership now and haven't heard from them at all... Hopefully they can figure it out because the last time it was on a code scanner it said "0 codes"... I will update when / if I get it back... Love the car, hate the problem. Can't believe this hasn't been diagnosed and recalled by Ford...

CarrieLynnLaw
10

I just had my 2011 Ford Edge loose power as we were on the highway at 8:15 in the evening. We pulled over and sat for 20 seconds and the power came back on. Has anyone had any luck having Ford assist?

Upsetwithford000
20

I own a Ford 2013 Edge - sure enough, the car lost ALL power while I was driving it - could BARELY limp into a parking lot. I regularly drive on I-95 and if this had happened with me in the left lane, I would have been TOAST. Ford MUST recall all affected vehicles. I used to love my Edge, but now I don't trust it. I took it IMMEDIATELY to the Ford dealership and they said it was a electronic throttle body issue and some other technical jargon about the throttle. I think they reprogrammed the computer, too. When I asked the mechanic if it could happen again, he said, "Well, electronics are electronics. You can never know." How reassuring. Sorry, folks, but I'm selling this car. I lose all power unexpectedly on I-95, and I'm six-feet under. AS IN FATAL ACCIDENT. Ford, RECALL all your cars with throttle problems NOW!! People WILL get killed by this issue. Too bad. I used to love Ford. BUT NO MORE.

ianread631
40

I live in Dubai and drive a 2009 Limited Edition Edge with 196, 600 km on the clock. Yesterday driving for approximately 30 minutes at 2000rpm I experienced complete loss of power where I had to pull over onto the hard shoulder of the freeway. I turned off the ignition and waited about a minute before trying the ignition again, the car started and I continued for another 15 minutes at 2000rpm where the same thing happened again, complete loss of power causing me to cruise to a halt on the hard shoulder of the freeway. I turned off the ignition again and this time waited for 5 minutes. Exactly the same scenario played out again, however this time I waited on the hard shoulder for about 10 minutes before continuing. For the remaining 60 minutes of my journey travelling at 120km/h and 2500rpm the car was fine. On reaching Dubai I immediately went to the Ford Dealer where they ran a diagnostic which returned the following fault codes: P0300 - Misfiring fault P0301 - Misfiring in cylinder#1 P0302 - Misfiring in cylinder#2 P0304 - Misfiring in cylinder#4 P0305 - Misfiring in cylinder#5 P0306 - Misfiring in cylinder#6 P1336 - Crankshaft sensor malfunction P2195 - Could not find any record of this fault code. P2197 - Could not find any record of this fault code. The dealership has my car and I await the engineer report. I spoke with the service manager and he informs me that he sees about 4 similar cases per month but with no common cause. I think Ford Motors need to get to the bottom of this before someone loses their life.

Tammy Pingel
0

Same thing happened to me today, I drive a 2011 Ford Mustang. Went to accelerate and the car died and up pops the wrench of shame! Coasted to the side of the road, waited a few minutes and it started right up.

JClark76
5

We have a used 2008 Ford Edge SEL and had a complete lost power on a high traffic street. Pulled over and restarted fine. My wife is leaving on a 12 hour trip late next week. I am inclined to go ahead and replace the throttle body before her trip. Wary of dependability.

Sher100
460

Follow up: it has been 9 months since my MKX was repaired. Since then I have had no further "loss of power" problems. Hopefully, you can share these posts with your mechanic and get the throttle parts replaced quickly.

Beth Miller
10

This happened to me on Monday, June 22, 2015. 2013 Edge with 71,000 miles on it. Once I turned it off and started it back, it was fine. Like everyone else, took it to the dealership and they can find nothing wrong with it. I cannot drive a car that might lose power at any time. I drive 2x daily on a bridge that has no shoulder and lots of 18-wheeler traffic. The dealership kept my car and will drive it around for a few days to see if it does it for them. My husband says that we will trade it in for a non-Ford if they don't fix it. I am not happy as the car is paid off and we had planned on it lasting me quite a few years.

Gotalemon
110

Knock on wood, I have not had any more problems since the throttle body assembly was changed. I don't feel like I should have had to pay the $508 dollars for the repair....for now, I am just waiting for the nationwide recall to happen and I will demand my money back. I encourage all of you to report this issue to the NHTSA before someone gets killed. They will put the pressure on Ford to do the recall since they don't have the decency to do it themselves!!!

jsteaveson
130

The repair is a recall issue and the dealership should not be charging you for the repair. However if all else fails, and you DO have to repair it, I understand that the part if relatively inexpensive and not too hard to change. Luckily its on the top of the engine. I think it took the mechanic about 15 min to change it out. http://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles/nccc-petitions-nhtsa-for-defect-investigation-into-ford-escape-vehicles.html

jsteaveson
130

Beth, by the way, because this is a recall issue, the dealership should not need to "find anything wrong" with the car. Especially since it has been documented as an "intermittent" issue

Gotalemon
110

From what I heard, the dealerships only have autorization to change out the part on the Ford Edge. My dealership played completely stupid to the idea of the throttle body EVEN with the printouts I had in my hand from this website, siting that this was the possible problem. They refused to even change the part until I brought the car in with the wrench symbol lit up. After about 5 times of killing on me, it finally stayed on until I got it to the dealership. Since my car was only 2 1/2 years old, but over the mileage allowance for warranty, I had to pay for it myself. I wish that I would have gotten my son to change it out for me, now that I see what the part really costs! But I was scared for my life when my car stalled twice on the same day on a busy interstate. I just wanted it fixed!

jsteaveson
130

Hi "Gotalemon" Sorry about what happened. As you probably know the complete throttle body assembly is around $100. Less if you shop around. This is from the NHTSA web site. It shows all the vehicles that are covered in this recall NHTSA Action Number : PE13003 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): FORD / ESCAPE 2009-2012 FORD / FUSION 2010-2013 MERCURY / MARINER 2009-2011 MERCURY / MILAN 2010-2011 Manufacturer(s) : Ford Motor Company Component(s) : ENGINE Date Investigation Opened : February 21, 2013 Date Investigation Closed : February 28, 2014 You can see the complete verbiage of the by following this link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=PE13003&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true Good luck to all.

Gotalemon
110

Unfortunately, I have an Explorer, not an escape or fusion...but I suspect that I got the same defective part and they just haven't acknowledged the problem yet. Thanks for the information though!!

kimbo5458
0

2013 Ford Edge. This also happened to me 2 days ago. 70mph down the highway, 100 degrees outside. Driving down the hwy, lost all acceleration. Engine still alive, had power, radio, air etc....waited 3 hrs for a tow truck on a Sunday. It is at the dealership now, I am waiting to hear back from them. Fortunately I do have extended warranty, and got a rental car. Not sure what caused this but in reading all the entries here, I suspect Throttle Body Assembly issue, sure hope they fix this, it could have been a disaster. I was lucky as I was able to pull to the side of the road to wait for help. I will update when I hear from them.

kimbo5458
0

I wanted to give an update on my earlier post. Dealership fixed the issue, said it was the Throttle Plate, stuck in open position, when this happens the computer shuts the car down. They replaced it. could not guarantee it would not happen again, but said it was not a common problem in the 2013 Edge. Blogs on this subject indicate otherwise, frankly I am now a little unsure about my vehicle. On the bight side, if the throttle plate was stuck in "open", I can imagine that if the computer did not shut down the vehicle, there could be potentially hazardous results (just assuming). I did take some advise of others on this blog, and before they fixed it, I did go out and restart the car while it was on the dealerships lot (the next morning after breaking down), and the accelerator worked just fine. So killing and restarting the engine might get you home, if this should happen to you, but be sure to follow up w/dealership and get it fixed. I was still under warranty, so no cost for repairs (thank God for the little things).

6Rivercats
0

I also want to report my 2015 Ford Edge Sel AWD lost power after making a right turn onto a secondary road on Aug. 16,2015. I only had the car a month. I was able to coast into a nearby parking lot and turn the car off. I let it sit for 30 seconds and restarted the car. It seemed fine. This was a very unnerving experience. I went online when I got home and through research saw where this has been a problem since 2009. Took it to the dealership on Aug. 17 and of course nothing was found to be amiss. Relayed to them previous problems with the throttle assembly that others have experienced and that was ruled out. If this problem happens again it is an accident waiting to happen.

rktek
20

BTW. There is Youtube video on how to change out the throttle body on a 4 cylinder 2010 Ford Escape. https://youtu.be/_AAgUyCg2B8. Pretty easy to do.

rktek
20

Thanks to all for posting your information. I had called the service department at the dealership earlier and gave them a very detailed description of what was going on and they played ignorant. I just confronted them on the recall information that was posted on this forum and they agreed to fix it for free. They never notified us of the recall. Thank you God for online forums!

omairkha
0

Im wondering if everyone who has this issue is with the AWD or are there any FWD having this issue?

Dana Holland
10

I have a 2008 Ford Edge SE and while I was driving today the car started shaking and I lost all power and the car died. I was able to get to the edge of the road thankfully. The car started right back up and a few minutes later it died again. Again I went to the side of the road and it started it right up again. After the second time my check engine light came on. Got the car towed home and husband read the code and it was P0352 and P0354.

chelseaz
10

I have a 2012 Ford Edge. Similar problem. Loss power when slow driving, dry and warm weather. The yellow wrench light was on when it happened. Ford dealer cannot read error code or find the problem. I just bought a OBD monitor to connect my car and cellphone. Hopefully the report will tell you the problem. I will update this information later.

downtownjuliebrown
10

I have a 2013 Ford Edge AWD two days ago the AWD off box came up with wrench. we coasted to the edge of the road shut it off and restarted it worked fine. Today while I was driving it did it to me I coasted to the edge of the road shut it off restarted went for a mile and it did it to me again. I did the same thing and then drove straight to the ford garage told them what happened and they acted like it had never happened before . They put it on the computer and couldn't find anything. So while I was setting there I googled recalls 2013 Ford Edge, found two of them. I took them up and showed them to the service lady and she acted like it wasn't for my car. They did nothing for me. I have had this car two months. NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls Recall Number: 14V393000Recall Date: 07/02/2014 Component: POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT Problem Summary: Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2012-2014 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX vehicles manufactured September 2, 2010, to November 30, 2013; 2013-2014 Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS vehicles manufactured August 25, 2011, to November 30, 2013; and 2013-2014 Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT vehicles manufactured September 12, 2011, to November 30, 2013. In the affected vehicles, the halfshaft retention circlip may not have been properly installed, and as a result, the halfshaft may move outward and disengage from the linkshaft while driving and without prior warning. Consequence: If the halfshaft and linkshaft become disengaged while driving, power will no longer be transmitted to the wheels, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, if the parking brake is not applied before exiting the vehicle, the vehicle may roll away despite the transmission being placed in 'Park', increasing the risk of injury to exiting occupants and bystanders. What Owners Should Do: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles to make sure that the halfshaft is properly retained. If it is not, dealers will replace the linkshaft and also replace the halfshaft if it shows evidence of spline damage, free of charge. The recall began on August 4, 2014. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673 FREE. Ford's number for this recall is 14S10. Next Steps: Contact a Service Center Near You Recall Number: 14V002000Recall Date: 01/06/2014 Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE Problem Summary: FORD MOTOR COMPANY (FORD) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012-2013 EDGE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 2, 2010, THROUGH APRIL 25, 2013, AND EQUIPPED WITH 2.0L ENGINES. THE FUEL LINE PULSE DAMPER METAL HOUSING MAY CRACK AS A RESULT OF AN IMPROPER MANUFACTURING PROCESS. A CRACKED FUEL LINE PULSE DAMPER HOUSING MAY RESULT IN A COMBINATION OF FUEL ODOR, WEEPAGE, OR A CONTINUOUS LEAK WHILE THE FUEL SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED. Consequence: A FUEL LEAK IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE MAY RESULT IN A FIRE. What Owners Should Do: FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL LINE WITH ONE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A DAMPER, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS SCHEDULED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 28, 2014. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332 FREE. FORD'S NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS 13S13. IMPORTANT: THIS RECALL SUPERSEDES RECALL 12V-438. ALL VEHICLES THAT HAVE BEEN REMEDIED UNDER THE PREVIOUS RECALL NEED TO HAVE THE CURRENT REMEDY APPLIED.

chelseaz
10

I have a 2012 Ford Edge, 3.5L AWD SEL model.I called FORD customer service and provide related information about recall, but they said that my car was not in their recall list. They refused to change any part for me. Then, I tried two different dealer, nobody could find the reason why it loss power when driving. I finally sent my car to a auto repair shop, the technician told me that he replaced a lot of throttle body because of loss power issue, but my throttle body was good. He took it off and cleaned it.Since last Tuesday, I drive my car around 10 days. It works well.

Michael Farina
0

I found this information on Ford's website while researching the problem on my wife's 2000 Ford Fusion: • FSA Title: ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BODY EXTENDED COVERAGE • Field Service Action Number: 13N03 Pasted from The page giving the information said it was last updated 11/15/2015 (this date) - not sure if they did that just for me or not. I was not impressed with NHTSA's website - it gave no option to select model-="Fusion." I have found no solid information on what the problem is but given the comments here, my bet is that humidity is invariably messing with the sensor.

bheaduk
10

I also have a 2012 Ford Edge, 3.5L AWD SEL model that I purchased from the Ford dealer last April as "pre-owned certified." Everything has been fine up to the last two weeks when I experienced a sudden loss of power three times, exactly as described in many of the posts here.. Each time the wrench icon came on and "AWD off" was displayed on the instrument panel. Twice I was just about to get on the freeway! I was able to coast/limp to the shoulder. I switched engine off and restarted and everything was fine again. Needless to say this is extremely dangerous. I took the car to the dealer and of course everything checked out fine with no error messages detected. Took the car home and started googling around and found this board and others relating exactly to this situation and the NHSTA recall for the 2012-14 Ford Edge, but when I put my VIN number in it did not flag. I emailed the service director about all the similar complaints, but I have just had the call that they cannot replicate the problem. I do not intend this to happen to me while on the freeway, so told them to leave it there for a few days while I think what to do next. There is definitely a safety issue here and all this "unable to replicate the problem" talk is frustrating to say the least. I have lost all confidence in the vehicle. Any suggestions? Brian, January 25, 2016

chelseaz
10

I suggest you to send your car to a auto shop and ask them to clean your throttle body. It is not expensive service, but it works on my car.

lkas
10

my 2013 escape is at the dealer right now. Mine loses powers and turns off anywhere from 1-5 times a DAY for me. They just had it for 5 days and changed the fuel pressure sensor gauge. they said that was the problem. just got my car back last night. This morning it lost power on me 3 times! called the dealer, they told me to bring it in, they hooked it up to the computer and said they didn't find anything. Also took it for a test drive and of course it didn't do it for them. So they told me the car is fine and it would happen again. I told them they are wrong and that they will be hearing from me because it WILL happen again. Sure enough I didn't even make it out of the parking lot before it shut off on me. They now have my car. Hopefully they figure out what is wrong. I cant drive with 2 small kids in a car that shuts off on me up to 5 times a day!

Tntbougie
0

I have a 2015 Ford edge only 5704. miles was traveling doen the fwy at 75 mph when a little wrench light came on.. had no acceleration.. had to coast to the side of the fwy (with my kids of course) the information panel said check manual, once i pressed ok i got another warning "hill start assit not available" pressed ok again. Shut the car off and restarted it. Ran the sync vehicle report. Showed nothing.. went home, about an hour later did the same thing.. called ford and they are not open till tomorrow! Pretty upset as I have only made one payment and this is irratining

gringosamba
20

I own a 2013 Ford Edge AWD and have experienced the card losing power without any notice. The yellow AWD OFF and wrench indicator light comes on and all engine power is totally lost. This has happened over the last several months at least six times. Different speeds and situations. In warm temperatures. Dealer said it was probably dirty gasoline but could not find anything else wrong. We asked for all the gasoline to be drained and the problem went away for a while before beginning to ocurr again more frequently. After reading all of these posts, I'll ask a mechanic to clean the throttle assembly and if that doesn't work have it replaced. If that doesn't work, I'll get rid of this car as it is extremely unsafe when power shuts off unexpectedly.

Gotalemon
110

PLEASE make a formal complaint to the NHTSA. That might be the only way that Ford will completely address this problem. If the cleaning of the throttle body works, please let me know. I wish that I would have tried that first, because the replacement cost me over $500.

gringosamba
20

Gotalemon, ok. I will file complaint with the NHTSA. Question, since you replaced your throttle body assembly, have you experienced any more problems? How long has it been since you replaced it?

Gotalemon
110

I had it replaced on 9/24/14 and have not had any more issues with it. I still haven't written to Ford (because I had surgery on my arm) to request reimbursement of my $550, but I still intend to do so. I hope that they understand the seriousness of this issue. I have found a few other 2012 Ford Explorer owners with the same issue on a different forum.

NoMoreLies4US
0

Thinking of buying a 2016 Edge so decided to rent one for a week to see if it was everything I was hoping for. Within 4 miles of ONT airport, in the fast lane of the I10 where it merges with the I15, everything on the dash, speedometer, radio, everything, flashed yellow and the car completely shut off. I was able to cost over 6 lanes in rush traffic to the merge area of both freeways right on top of the white line. There I sat for 1 hour waiting for the rental company tow as big rigs were flying within 2 feet of my door (couldn't open it to even get out and seek a safer area to wait). The EDGE was then towed back to ONT where I was given an Explorer (disliked as it was to big for me). I still love the looks and size of the 2016 EDGE but frankly I'm scared to buy one. I believe this was a computer problem but need to know, has ANYONE had this problem and WHAT caused it? I received NO response from Budget customer service and can't find anything on the internet.

gringosamba
20

I had the throttle body assembly replaced on February 24, 2016. It's only been a few days so far, but since it's been replaced, this problem has not ocurred again. I'll provide another update if/when it ever happens again, even after replacing the throttle body. If no further updates, then the replacement solved the problem.

edgeconcerns
0

2013 Edge having issue of AWD ABS traction control turned off and totally losing power...went to dealer did update to computer and happened again 2 weeks later but this time no lights except sync was saying its doing routine maintenance message...turned off tuened on had trouble starting then when it restarted it all went away...bringing back to dealership agin will let you know...thinking of trading in..my wife is scared to drive it after it happening twice...