loss of power while driving

32geoff
20

Asked by 32geoff Dec 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM about the 2010 Ford Edge Limited

today, while driving, the vehicle simply lost all power and had to be immediately pulled over.  after a few minutes tried to start the vehicle and it worked fine.  driving conditions were cold and wet.  this is a brand new edge.  anybody know what could cause such a thing.  at a close by dealership now awaiting analysis.

link
20

The same problem happened to our Edge on 3 separate occasions during cold weather. Our Edge is a 2009 model with 15,000 miles. A local dealer had the car for 3 days and could not find the problem. We were told to bring the car back when the problem becomes more frequent. Lets hope no one is killed the next time this happens. Please let us know if your dealer solves the problem.

Simon Charbonneau
25

It might be the traction control that engaged with no reason... I know I loose power big time when it engages in deep snow!

32geoff
20

So sorry it took this long to reply, as I stopped looking back at this message. Yes the dealer did fix it, seeing as it has not re-occured. They said it was the starter cable not properly affixed to its place, thus eventually losing power. Took them most of the day to diagnose the problem. Knock on wood that it should never happen again. Hey maybe we could kick up enough fuss so to get Ford in front of the US Congress like poor Toyota has had to do over they faults. Geoff

cousinbrucie1
10

My Edge only has 5 K on it. While driving through a severe rain storm, it really lost power. I could hardly get up a small hill. I let it dry for 2 hours and took it to the dealership. It worked fine to the dealership and the next day they hooked it up to a computer and of course found nothing. It has worked fine since.

anjy834u
2,825

this is purely because of cold. get the heater checked. http://ford-edge.net/how-to-change-air-filter-on-ford-edge-2010/

cousinbrucie1
10

This happened once to me while driving through a rain storm. I. . waited a half hour and then the Edge worked fine. I've got 7K on it now and it only happened that one time. The dealership found nothing wrong.

parabellum
10

Im an ASE master cert. auto tech the replie on the cold causing it is bullshit . do not beleive that on working on my edge now and will post a proper correction.

papa

OK MASTER TEC,waiteing on your fix,I call BS on you,to original poster glad you got it fixed.my uncle has a EDGE,had same thing happen to his,I found the same problem,loose connection at starter.

cko19
40

This has happened to me on three separate occasions (in the 16 months I have owned the vehicle) and usually at the worst time such as stuck on the highway in rush hour or turning and trying to go up a small hill. I have a 2010 Edge with only 15,000 miles on it. I took it into the dealer and they "could not replicate'. The only way to resolve is to drive it directly to the dealer when it happens - this is what they told me. The power comes back once the car is turned off and sits for a minute. Sounds to me like a computer problem but Ford cannot figure it out. I live in the south and it has happened when it was 90, 70 and 45 degrees out - so it has nothing to do with temperature. Also, it has happened when driving for 5 mins, 20 mins and an hour into a trip.

aarong0729
10

My Mom has an Edge, it happened to her a year ago, Ford dealer couldnt replicate. It just happened to her again on the hwy going 60mph. Just shut off, lost all power. And it was 80 degrees yesterday, so it has nothing to do with temp. Fucking Ford

Kenneth Alex
0

Yes I agree , with those that state it problem has nothing to do with the Temp . I just purchased 2007 edge and have had it stop pulling and over tach 3 times now twice on the highway traveling above 70MPH. and have taken it to the dealer twice. I they can't find the problem. just on Sunday Aug 01, 2013 loss of power backing out of family member driveway no power to back out had to shut the car off and reset to get power to back out of small incline driveway. This is BS big time to sell the general public a vehicle that has problems that put your life in danger out on our roadways ! I love my edge but don't care for this problem that ford just refuse to fix and address ! when you have had this problem reported this many times and no one has gotten a fix on this problem and it happening on the new models up to 2013 ! something has to be done about this before someone lose their life ! Do anyone has the answer to how to correct this problem since ford refuse to address or fix these bugs in their MKX and Edges ?

myfivopony
20

When you have this happen, do you also have a warning come up saying "AWD OFF?" That is what my 2011 has done twice. Both times we were able to shut car off and start back up and it is back to normal. Today it was about 65 degrees outside, and last month it was about 55 degress... temp not an issue.

Soccermom17
10

I got a brand new edge 2013 with only 5,000 miles. It has lost power 4 times and won't come back on for about 20 minutes. It has never happened while I was driving always when the vehicle has been turned off. I called Ford Headquarters and filed a complaint it is at the dealership now getting checked out. This is the third time I have taken it in for this problem. Sure hoping they find something.

Dale1952
20

Glad I found this board. We have a 2013 edge with only 1,100 miles on it. 3 times it has failed to start. No power no starter nothing. I let it sit for a few minutes then it started. yesterday as I was driving it stopped running, twice for no apparent reason. Just total loss of power. Same thing after I coasted out of traffic onto side street. Complete loss of power for several minutes. Then it started up. Towed to dealer. Dealer is scratching his head.....I can't be the only one this has happened to

Grif74
10

I agree that it has nothing to do with the temperature. I have a 2007 Ford edge and it has lost power on me 3 times in the past month while temps were 35F, 77F, and 54F. I have had the vehicle over 2 years now. My fix is the same as most of you, I turn the vehicle off, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then its fine. It's definitely a FORD manufacturing problem if we are all experiencing the very same issue.

You think this is helpful.
roondog
10

I had my 2013 edge completely lose power the other day. Fortunately, I was close to home but it could have been disastrous if i was on the freeway. There was no warning, it simply lost all power. Its at the dealership now. They say it needs a new computer. I had not heard of problems with the edge prior to this incident.

justanedge
10

This is another owner with a brand new 2013 Edge losing power without warning. It was lightly raining and 50 degrees but surely what has that to do with anything when all other posts describe variable conditions. I have less than 3000 miles on mine and it just shut off and the dash read a warning of low oil pressure. I was pulling into a parking spot. Read where Chevy had some of these issues as well and didn't address them for years.

Prince Leftridge II
155

Everyone, I experienced this on our 2008 Ford Edge SE. Turned out to be a bad throttle body and it was replaced under warranty.

Anne Maybrown
0

I experienced this with a 2013 ford explorer. Three different occassions. Weather was dry. Once on a main hwy and the other two times on a side road. Very danerous. Ford has it now, but can't find anything wrong with it.

Sher100
60

My 2011 Lincoln MKX has lost power three times. The AWD OFF sign comes on, there is no response to throttle. Fortunately, I have been going slow in very little traffic at the time and was able to coast to the side of the road. I turned the car off, then back on and it was OK to go again. I have had it in to the dealership twice for repair but they are unable to replicate the problem and have offered no assurance that it won't happen again. I am very concerned this could happen in heavy highway traffic and cause a life-threatening collision. Is there a fix? Is there a recourse with the auto maker? Am most eager to find a solution.

mrkmbc
10

2014 Ford edge only had it two weeks and this happened in 90+ degree temp. Lost power and had the low oil pressure warning. Turned it back on fifteen minutes later and it ran fine. No hills or incline or decline.flat surface although there was a very small bump on the road right before which i had been through many times but slowed down and went over it with caution! It had oil and about half atank of gas! Ford needs to recall!

mrkmbc
10

At the dealership right now see what the tell me! Pfft

Gehad Fouad
0

I have 2007 Ford Edge, I live in dubai, it happens with me 3 times up to know, one time of them i was driving on 90 Mile in High way and it could cause my life, no body know what is the problem and i dont know how to fix it

Sher100
60

While I was driving my 2011 Lincoln MKX lost all power for the 4th time. When I pressed the throttle there was no response. Indicator lights said AWD OFF and displayed a wrench icon. I coasted to the side of the road. When this happened the first three times I turned the car off, restarted it and all was fine. I took it in for repair twice and the problem could not be identified or fixed. When it happened the 4th time this past week, I left the car running and called for a tow to the repair shop as my repairman had advised me. My car was "chugging" a bit and died while I waited for the tow. But the indicator lights stayed the same. The tow only required a brief time in neutral while the fella steered it onto his tow truck. The Ford/Lincoln service repairman checked out my car when it arrived at his shop and was able to read the event in the history, unlike previous attempts. Thankfully, he found a problem with the throttle, ordered new parts and my car is fixed! I am so relieved. Both my local dealership and the national Lincoln Customer Service people have been exceptionally helpful. Lincoln offered their expert service technicians to my local dealership, if needed I hope this helps you with your "loss of power" problems.

Doubless
40

I had exactly the same thing happen with my Lincoln MKX, 2011, only it happened 5 times and was in the shop 3 times. I read sher100's blog and took it to heart. I went to pick the car up from the third time in the shop and not being fixed because they could not replicate the problem. I was not 5 miles down the road and the infamous awd off and wrench showed up and I lost acceleration. I took the advice of sher100 and did not turn off the car, called the dealership and they sent a mechanic with a computer to see what the error code was, it was a code for a bad throttle, I will post the code when I get it because I am literally typing this while I wait. I do not know if this will fix the problem, but since they received a specific error code I will again drive the Lincoln without fear. My dealership was patient and helpful, I understand that if they could not get the error code, they could not find the problem. Once the car was turned on and then off again, the code was lost. They supplied me with a rental car for almost 3 weeks trying to replicate the problem. Ironically, it happened right away with me. They now know what the problem is and I am keeping a positive attitude that the problem will not reoccur!

Sher100
60

This is a follow up to my post 3 days ago: The part that was replaced in my 2011 Lincoln MKX is a throttle position switch.

Doubless
40

The code was P2221

Sher100
60

Am adding a correction / addition to previous posts on the subject of power loss. Have reviewed my invoice which indicates Code 2111, replaced throttle body assembly. Have had no problems since this repair.

jsteaveson
10

This just happened to me on my way home. 89 degrees and dry. complete loss of power in the center lane of heavy traffic. Could have caused a huge multi car pile up.

jsteaveson
10

ps.. this was a 2010 Ford Escape with 36,000 miles on it

Sher100
60

To jsteaveson: I am so glad that you did not have a major accident. Your experience is exactly what I feared might happen to me before my car was finally repaired. Best wishes in getting a proper fix in one trip to the Ford service department. Please let us know how this turns out for you.

bdey1111
10

This has happened 2x/s in past week in my 2011 Ford Edge. This morning it lost power on a major roadway at 50MPH. 75 degree and sunny so no weather connection. The car would not move past 1MPH literally. I could barely get it off the road. Once I turned off the car and restarted it, the car ran fine. Took the Edge for computer diagnostic, where no code came up, so the mechanic cleaned the throttle plates, etc and thought that would fix it. Then it happened again. Tried to follow Ford service direction and get it to dealership while "wrench" icon and situation was happening, but car stalled. when it was restarted, it ran fine again. Took it to dealership anyway where they charged me for another computer diagnostic just to say nothing coming up. I have been told to reprogram PCM for $160, or have throttle body replaced for $500--but they aren't sure if that is even the problem. Also have a passenger side door that sensor says it's open when it is closed. They want $469 to replace the door latch assembly. Apparently, that is a very common problem with this vehicle as well. This car is only 3 yrs old. I have never owned a vehicle with so many problems.

Gotalemon
10

I started having the "AWD off" error message on my 2012 Ford Explorer last month. I brought it to the dealership and they could not find the problem, even AFTER I brought them the comments from this website! Another writer posted that his car was fixed after they changed out the throttle body assembly. Well....it happened 5 more times this week, but this time the engine light stayed on. I just got the phone call from the dealership that it was indeed the throttle body assembly!!! Just like I told them last month! This will cost me about $508.00 to fix because I don't have an extended warranty and I have 48,000 miles on my car. I feel that Ford should be doing a recall of their vehicles. I just filed my complaint with the NHTSA and encourage anyone else having this problem to do the same thing. I will also call Ford and tell them that they should reimburse the $508 that I have to spend because they should be FULLY AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM. This is a safety issue. Someone is going to get killed on the interstate when they get rear ended due to this problem. It is a very scarey thing to have no control over your car while doing 70 mph on the highway!!!!!

Pastorharold
0

I'm looking to trade my 2011 MKX for the same reason. Vehicle dies for no apparent reason. My friend works at the Ford dealership and drove my MKX for a week with the computer hooked up. It finally died on him while idling in a parking lot. Guess what? No code came up. I'm going to tell him about the throttle switch today. Other than that, we love our vehicle. Just don't trust it. Thanks for the posts.

jamesjoneswv
10

A few months ago while I was deployed to Afghanistan my wife and 3 year old son were traveling down the expressway at 70 miles an hour when the vehicle (2001 edge sport) suddenly went into limp mode. They barely avoided being killed by the semi-truck behind them. It was diagnosed as a throttle body issue. I payed $250 to have it "cleaned". I recently returned from deployment and it happend on the highway again. I was told by ford customer care that there is nothing they would do due to it not falling into the throttle body recall Case#CAS5641548. I just wanted to thank Ford for there lack of assistance and inform them that a loyal Ford customer 2006 mustang, 2007 ranger, 2011 edge sport will never buy another ford. A problem that has been brought to thier attention by thousands of Ford owners has been ignored and has put my family in danger. First Sergeant James Horr USMC

You think this is helpful.