Is a car that is certified that different than car still under warrenty

john220_wil
5

Asked by john220_wil Aug 16, 2012 at 04:39 PM about the 2009 BMW 5 Series 528i

looking at used car thst is listed as certified is it worth what the dealer thinks it is

Joe Catanzaro
235

certified = similar to factory warranty for a new car, but on a used car. Usually CPO warrantys last longer than the original factory warranty also.

Robert Charlson
2,185

CPO (certified preowned) vehicles have a different type of warranty than new cars. New have 4 year 50,000 miles bumper to bumper and maintance. CPO vehicles if not still under factory warranty. CPO warranty is for 72 months or 100,000 miles and does not cover everything, it covers alot of things but not all and it wont have any covered maintance items. CPO cars are put through a lot of scrutiny when going through the whole process.

wjperdue
35

In a practical sense, CPOs are as good as new car warranty but be sure to find out the remaining Time and Mileage on the CPO. Also make sure you understand if the Schedule Maintenance is covered like under the factory warranty. Their are a lot of CPO that are from Lemon Buybacks so make sure you understand what the buyback was for. These vehicle come with a warranty for the buyback reason (usually 1-year) plus the CPO warranty (usually up to 100,000). They can be a great deal compared to normal CPOs. I would reccommend CPO over new car any day because you can get great value versus the new car price and depreciation. As with all things, shop around and do your homework.

calletina
35

My CPO had 23000 miles and the CPO program required the dealer to reset everything back to factory specs plus took the warranty up to 100K miles or 4 years. I had them replace anything that was not perfect before I took it off the lot- scratched dash accent, crack in the cupholder- etc- ANYTHING I found was replaced. Over the course of the warranty- I had a Navigation disc read issue- they replaced the unit under warranty. No other problems with the car. And now have 125000 miles on it and still going great. I'd do CPO again in a minute. The actual New warranty only goes to 50,ooo miles. And I am a drive-a-holic. So I need all the warranty I can get. Read your Service Bulletins on the model you wnat- and get the dealer to FIX any service bulletin issues you find. You can catch cars coming off of Lease with minimal miles. It costs a dealer roughly 4500 to enroll the car in CPO- so I am told. CPO is for me. Buy late in the year and chew them down on price. The closer you are to End of year the better the deals. CPO enrollment rules for the dealers are Can't be over 2 years old and can't have more than 50,000 miles on it. Once enrolled in CPO- I'm not sure if you can transfer the remaining CPO to another buyer- but based on my experience- I would think Yes- but ask your dealers.