Uncomfortable drive seat in 2009 Accord?

BostonDan
0

Asked by BostonDan Jun 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM about the 2009 Honda Accord LX

I just bought my third Accord - a new 2009 LX Sedan after having great experiences with a 1986 and 2001 Accords I had bought used.  I am finding the front seat unbelievably uncomfortable, and have not yet been able to find a comfortable setting and have tried adding various cushions to no avail.  Are others having similar problems?  Any advice?  

Michael King
85

The newer seats are taking longer to break in, give it some time. I have a 2004 i got used and its comfortable, my sister has a 2009 that, like you said is a little uncomfortable, its a bit to firm isnt it?.... My guess is that after a year it will have been used enough to make it comfortable.

sarahf
10

Hey Dan, You're in good company. I'm having the same problem with the 09 accord sedan (also in the Boston area). To me, the seat back forces your back to arch too much. Here's what helped me somewhat: a support called the McCarty's sacro ease premium back support. I got the full length model that goes all the way up to your shoulders. The advantage is it has a frame that you can either leave straight (which I did) or bend according to the contour you want. At first, the cushion wasn't as comfortable and my butt got numb, but after a bit of use, it's getting better. The Relax the Back store will give you 10 days to try it out or return it. It's kind of pricey. Hope this helps.

Michael King
85

I am assuming you both also played with the placement of the lumbar support control to see whats best.

mrrapp
10

nothing will help. I've tried everything.But pushing a pin behind headrest bar which pushes headrest forward will at least push lump in seat down

zerotax
20

Same problem here. New 2009 LX and theseats are back killers! So far no solution. Looking for an UPPER back pad to balance out the exaggerated lumbar support.

Michael King
85

http://www.brookstone.com/automotive-comfort_napform-mini-lumbar-support-pillows.html try that

Jayhawk
10

I am having big problems with my new 2010 Accord coupe beginning when I drove it home from the dealer. Wish I would have read this before buying the car. Can you elaborate more about pushing a pin behind the headrest bar and pushing lump in seat down. This is not clear at all to me. Thank you

carcomplaints
90

Unfortunately, it's been a pretty common complaint for the 2009 Accord. Owners say: * Headrest pushes too far forward, causing neck pain * Back lumbar is too stiff, causing lower back pain * The seat extends is too long and digs into thighs, causing hip pain Read more from other owners here: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2009/accessories- interior/incredibly_uncomfortable_seat.shtml

carcomplaints
90

Unfortunately, it's been a pretty common complaint for the 2009 Accord. Owners say: * Headrest pushes too far forward, causing neck pain * Back lumbar is too stiff, causing lower back pain * The seat extends is too long and digs into thighs, causing hip pain Read more reports from other owners here.

carcomplaints
90

Link didn't work, let's try that again: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2009/accessories- interior/incredibly_uncomfortable_seat.shtml

EllenS
20

I just bought a 2012 Accord and the driver's seat is causing both back pain and numbness down my right leg. I don't have any back problems and fear it will cause trouble some. I'm leaning toward trading it in and taking the financial hit. Just did not turn out to be the car for me...very disappointing! The seat in my 1996 Honda was as comfortable the day I sold it as it was 15 1/2 years earlier when I bought it. So much for innovation!

JayJones
85

I bought a 2012 Accord two weeks ago and experienced the same problem, back pain too much to drive. Was test driving way cheaper cars preparing to get killed on the trade-in. The problem in mine was the "active headrest" system which includes a steel plate in the seat back, which is connected to the head rest and pivots with it, ie if you reach back over your head and pull the headrest forward, the steel plate in the seat will move further into the seat (towards the rear of the vehicle) lessoning the problem. I found this solution at the linked-to site below, He created a longer piece of upholstery wire at the bottom which let the steel plate naturally rest further back in the seat. http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/diy-answers-28/how-fix-lumbar-lump-2008-accords-hurt-your-back%2A-37122/

EllenS
20

Thanks for the information. I'm glad someone found a fix for one of the issues causing back pain. Unfortunately, between the back and leg pain, and the new car smells ("outgassing"), this car was making me too sick to drive. I bought a Mazda i6 and have not had one moment of discomfort. It's great. I lost $3,115. on this debacle. Got hosed on the trade-in...can't say anything good about how the dealership in Cincinnati, Superior Honda, its New Car Sales Manager Mary Wiedenbein, or American Honda responded to any of these issues. Very , very dissapointing...reinforced every single slimey stereotype of the car salesman! And Honda has know about this problem since 2008? Shame on you Honda!

peaceinHim
10

Just bought 2012 Accord and cannot drive it due to uncomfortable seat. Finding many postings on web from people with same issue. Help! Anyone want to buy an Accord with less the 100 miles?

Monz_Jones
0

I had knee surgery on my right leg four weeks after buying my 2012 Honda accord LX. I addressed the pain issue with the dealership (Jerry Damson Honda in Huntsville Alabama). They told me go sell it to Carmax! I told him just let me traded in for CRV. The car had only 300 miles on it (mostly from test drives probably). They offered me $5400 less than what I paid for it! So much for Honda! Going back to Hyundai!

EllenS
20

Sales manager Mary Wiedenbein of Superior Honda in Cincninati, where I bought my undriveable 2012 Honda Accord (seat issue, just one issue), offered me the same option; take a loss on the Accord and trade it in for a more expensive CRV. I've told everyone I know about my experience with Suoerior Honda and American Honda's customer service people---who had nothing to say excpet that the seat meets all NTSB guidelines...

willsp
20

Me too. Just bought a lightly-used certified 2009 Accord V6. Headrest pushed my head forward. Neck pain after 20 mins of driving. And, lumbar support is too deep (top to bottom). Lumbar issue easy to remedy--minimize lumbar support, then use a small (12 x 8 inches by 2 inches thick) as lumbar support. BUT headrest problem is the biggie. I plan to buy from ebay 2 used headrests from an older accord, since others have done that. The seats on my prior v6 Accoord (2001) were SO comfortable... What's up, Honda--way to lose a loyal following!!

MollyD
30

Drove my new 2014 Accord V6 home 27 miles and had back and neck pain. Traded a very comfortable cushioned leather seats 2000 Accord V6 in for this ? Honda North, MA said they'd take it for trade on a new CR-V then gave a very bad deal $5000+ profit for them. Could not believe it ! I am no longer a Honda loyalist ! IF THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON ALL THESE YEARS, WHY HASN'T HONDA LISTENED and put the cushion back in their seats? Off to sell it and never go back...

You think this is helpful.
Monz_Jones
0

I got rid of my 2012 accord 2 months after buying it brand new. I drive a Nissan now. Will never buy a Honda again. Worst in comfort category. I owned a 92 accord in the part and it was ok. Not the most reliable but at least wasn't that uncomfortable!