Overdrive or not?

FE2005
20

Asked by FE2005 Oct 29, 2008 at 01:49 PM about the 2005 Ford Escape Limited 4WD

This is my first SUV and new with the overdrive function. Do I drive in overdrive all the time? I only drive about 10 miles a day...live close to work. What is going to get me the best gas mileage?

Thank you,
FE2005

Chris Lee
475

Generally you'll have Drive, and Over drive. Putting the car in Drive "D" is usually just an overdrive Lockout. it will prevent the auto from going into the overdrive gear. which in city driving can be good becuase the auto is not constantly shifting into the last gear only to have to downshift at the next stop. However, Fuel Milage is greater in the last gear, so on trips where you are at a speed you can stay in this gear, that would be best. If you intend to tow anything... the first thing my father ever told me about it... "NEVER TOW IN OVERDRIVE!" ;) hope it helped. In summary, Generally I would drive with the Overdrive function selected unless I was towing, or doing an activity where I would want to stay in a lower gear to go faster...

FE2005
20

Thank You!!

nosmo
1,495

The only time you should use overdrive is when your taking on a steep hill. Your only going to mess up the tranny if you use over drive all the time. And if you do use over drive on a regular rode dont go over 60 mph . If you do your going to mess up your tranny.