Intermittent oil light

Asked by ninialf Mar 16, 2013 at 01:52 PM about the 2005 Ford Escape Limited

I have a 2005 Ford Escape 4cyclinder.  The oil symbol keeps flicking on and off intermittedly.  It started
after an oil change, the oil and the pressure is fine. Its just had a second oil switch change and it still
continues to flick. Most at a stop. The guages do change.  The flicking is driving me nuts. Its been over
a month.  The car runs fine.  Please Help!

your new Oil pressure switch might be not as trigger happy! if installed, the new one causes the flicker, we could see about the performance of your oil pump.

What is the oil psi ?

It is an older engine and the light is flickering at a stop after a oil change... They probably refilled with a thin oil like a 0W30 or 5W30. If you went with a thicker oil, it wouldn't flow through the bearings as fast and the pressure would be higher. Slip it into neutral to raise the RPM's until you get it changed. You could try some STP or Lucas oil treatments which generally increase the viscosity.

should be not zero to 15-20 psi at the test point.

the oil pump regulates the overflow to like 14 psi in the first place-

Its has two oil changes the first was too thin and replaced with a thicker oil. The two switch replacements and it continues. I will try the neutral to raise RPMs. What change am I looking for it to do?

high volume oil pumps are a bad deal. seals blow out creating a mess...not good~

you want lubrication to all points needing it...think of a little guy in your engine with a clicky oilcan...he just needs a few drops on the moving parts...that's all.

if you HAVE oil pressure, yippie, pretty much that's all we need here.

I have the same problem in my 2004 Mazda Tribute (aka Escape) I had only been using 5w20 full synthetic but since I went over 250K I thought a higher viscosity would be better and was told that by several people. My oil pressure has not been the same since. I tried 10w30 then went to 10w20 but it still has issues so I am considering going back to 5w20. However, 2 techs have mentioned that my dipstick tube was loose. I think that can be affecting the pressure as well. Is it expensive to replace the seal and dipstick tube?

wha---you wanna me to shop for ye~ would be my first landing spot...such a common vehicle are likely to find skads of them in your local savage yards for a song~

LOL No not shop for me. I don't have any mechanic skills but I can change my oil. I just wanted to see what if any opinions there were on my theory/s. I don't want to do something silly and waste money because I will have to pay to have any work done. I would be out of my element in a salvage yard but I have a friend that maybe could help.