2009 Ford Escape Tailgate

SYates
0

Asked by SYates May 06, 2013 at 10:41 AM about the 2009 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

My 2009 Ford Escape Tailgate will not open, there is a push button that you can heard when you push but it will not open.

114,435

Sounds like the soleniod is activating, but I suspect you have a problem with your tailgate linkage. Only way to diagnose is to remove the inner tailgate panel and with the tailgate not opening, that will be an issue. Have you considered having someone look at it?

17,825

I agree with toms answer. Only thing I would add is to check and see if it will pop open from the key fob or the button on the console up front. If it does work from those two then you have a problem with the tailgate release. If it still does not open the solenoid tom was talking about or the latch is at fault.

johna100
0

you have a hard time opening rear gate cover with gate locked as 4 screws are under the gate.Remove the rear number plate light cover with the escape name on it 4 screws and fiddle the lock open it is quite a bit easier that removing rear cover.This lock is very Heath Robinson .Far to complex for a door lock .

Hybrid2009
10

I have the same problem but the tailgate will open after several 30 second pauses. I cleaned and oiled the latch with 3in1 oil and tailgate worked a few times but reverted to not opening. Is the battery voltage low? How do I remove the panel. I removed the 4 screws but could'nt get the panel to pop off. Where is the location of the blind screws or clips. Please help.