Pontiac G8 GT, clicking noise behind dash along with dimming headlights for each click

Johnny Bryla
0

Asked by Johnny May 06, 2014 at 01:57 AM about the 2009 Pontiac G8 GT

80K miles, battery and starter check out fine.

Just started last week. Clicking noise about every 10 seconds coming from dash. Each
click corresponds with temporary dimming of headlights.

All accessories work fine EXCEPT for all four power windows -- each window goes
down about 1" per 10 seconds if you hold the window button down. Same going back
up.

Tried turning off all accessories, various combinations of heat/cool settings no effect.
The clicking continues for about a minute even after turning off the engine and taknig
out key.

Sometimes in the morning, power window goes up and down normally, then later in the
day bad again.

Norm Davis
2,085

Check the power accessory delay capacitor and relay. If the capacitor is fried, the relay will engage briefly then default to the off position because of the amp draw. The power windows are also wired thru the capacitor, that's why I think that's where the problem is.

GMCustomerService
1,635

Hi Johnny, We are sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing with your 2009 Pontiac G8. We'd be happy to look further into this concern for you. If you'd like our assistance please reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com. We hope to hear from you soon. Andraya R. GM Customer Care

Johnny Bryla
0

Norm, thanks for responding so quickly! I think that may be it. So to replace those two parts, is it a one-hour job? An afternoon? The whole day? I'm a half-decent car hack and I can do wiring fixes and good with a wrench and can read diagnostics codes with a friend's meter but if I have to take the dash completely apart that would stretch my capabilities and I might not be able to put it back together.

Norm Davis
2,085

Not sure of the time involved Johnny, but it's def a home mechanic type job. Check the voltage going in and coming out of the retained accessory power (RAP) with the key off. The relay is probably ok. Keep in mind that if any of the accessories that are powered off the RAP are drawing too much current, the relay will also cut out. So the RAP could be okay, but one of more accessories are drawing too much. You'll want to check all the connections. Start here: http://workshop-manuals.com/pontiac/g8/v8-6.0l/relays_and_modules/relays_and_modules_accessories_and_optional_equipment/accessory_relay/component_information/locations/ Good luck!

Best Answer