how many 1968 rs ss camero's were produced in the united states

68rsssguy
25

Asked by 68rsssguy Feb 07, 2007 at 02:08 AM about the 1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS

i am wondering in 1968 how many rs ss coupe models were made.  i have happend to obtain one and know it is very rare but was wondering. it has the tuck away headlight and a 350 emblem on the front fenders.  standard black interior.

13,775

Hello, There were 40,977 RS's and 30,695 SS's produced in 1968. Of course, many fewer than this survive today. Congratulations on your new car! Best of luck! CarGrrl

24,295

I also looked on a number of sites to try and find out specifically now many rs ss models were made but apparently it is so rare that most Camaro sites don't list it as a trim. I did find one site that said "It is impossible to determine how many "base" models were produced because certain options were combined with others (for example, you could combine the Rally Sport option with the Super Sport, Z/28, and Custom Interior options), and there is no breakdown of production numbers when options were combined."

Best Answer
Bsmith1621
10

i also happend to come across a 1968 camaro rs ss with the 350 badges and also a rally sport badge behind the front tire but it has a white nose strip, white leather seats, and a white rag top. also has auto windows, locks and driver seat. but the number of sites that i looked on the common number i found was about 600 to 700 rs ss's were made back in 1968 but like the one guy said most of those cars did not survive to this day so that number could be drasticly less. could possible be under 100 or above 100 so definatly restore that thing tobe fully original and man you got one heck of a car for car shows man

bluediamondshires
0

hello I just recently found this site I have purchased a 68 rs/ss camero ( 396 banners on fender) minus the motor and tranny but the guy I bought it from has a 396 with munchie tranny so looks like headed in a double bonus round here The body and chasy is in mint shape no rust, all origional no body work other than it being primed and ready to paint hopefully I will remember my way back to this site but look forward to learning more about this find thanks James Richie bluediamondshires@yahoo.com ps no I am not looking at selling at this point and time in case you are wondering

bluediamondshires
0

bluediamondshires
0

oops didnt mean the double post another photo

long_ago
0

How can you tell your car is an rs/ss model. I have a 1968 in pieces, it has hidden headlight, a clock inside the tac. A 4 gauge package built into the front floor console, not original engine, I was told when I purchased it in 1970 it had a 396 but was removed due to the gas crises. but is there a number somewhere on the car that can verify the factory package(rs,ss, engine). The 13 digit vin number on the driver side windshield states its a 1968, 8 cyl, 2 dr coupe the 49,863 car built that year built in Norwood. but that is as much as I can verify. THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN PROVIDE.

Braceman
0

I have a 1968 RSSS camaro that is fully loaded and is a Big Block factory car with factory air,12 bolt,multi leaf rear,Hounds Tooth interior,Rare SS steering wheel,Black tail light section,power steering,Vacume RS,Butter nut Yellow,Black vinyl top,floor console. The Black RSSS stays black in the tail light section, but other colors from the factory always have Black Tail lights section to separate small blocks from the Big Blocks, and when you saw one in public you knew it was a Big Block from the Black Rear tail light section. This 1968 is probably the rarest RSSS in America and makes me very happy owning for last 27 years. Hope this helps with your discovery look for the Black in the back is your first clue being a factory Big Block if it wasn't painted to make it appear as one. That factory steering wheel in my car was one of 169 made and was special order from the factory. Great Find :)

Braceman
0

Also Astro Ventilation,SS hood with hood ornaments and small block SS is flat ornament and the Big Block hood ornament has concaved holes in the hood ornament. I know this seems strange to have different Hood Ornaments but the small block SS has a Flat ornament and the Big Block SS ornament was totally different with four sunk holes and not flat is another way to distinguish differences. I knew someday my rare camaro would finally be worth the storage space under Air at my home and the third owner. The first owner was a female who bought the car in 1968 owning it for ten years. Then a male school English teacher owned it second for ten years. I found this RSSS in the driveway of the second mans who was in his sixties about ready to retire and sold me the car for $3000.00 to buy a brand new Ford Taurus is why he sold it to me. Second person make probably regrets the sale to me but I had the Cash and have owned it ever since. Ask me questions if I can help as we are almost blood related do to the rarest find imaginable. I believe my rare RSSS could fetch $150k if I sold it ?

Braceman
0

Also Deluxe Interior the works.;)

Braceman
0

Vin # on my 1968 RSSS is 124378N344515

Braceman
0

Look up WWW.Chevy-Camaro.com