Volvo Dealership is about to replace my entire engine under warranty...question is, should I keep the car?

2008volvo
0

Asked by 2008volvo Feb 28, 2013 at 02:30 PM about the 2008 Volvo XC70 Base

A little more information: we brought it into the dealership because it was going through oil faster than expected and we bought an extended warranty so everything is covered. They have had the car over a week in the shop, and  shared nothing with us expect that they had run some diagnostics and were waiting to hear back from Volvo corporate. They just let us know that they received authorization from Volvo central to replace the entire engine.

We bought under a year ago (used 2008 Volvo XC70) but now I am less confident of my purchase. What kind of damage may have been done to other parts of the car?

My question is: Should I ask for a different car or equal or greater value, or be happy that I have a new engine in my used car?

Thanks very much for your feedback and opinions.

45,705

You have a five year old car with a dealer installed engine. It does not get any better than that. Keep the car and drive the wheels off of it.

68,305

If you were burning enough oil that you saw blue smoke all the time, the catalytic converter might have a decreased lifespan.

2008volvo
0

Thanks tenspeed, I appreciate your advice! Tom, thanks for your response! The oil loss was pretty minimal (it was just odd that my oil light came on twice in between an oil change and so I added a bit in) and I did not notice any smoke. So hopefully the catalytic converter has not been harmed.