how to check dodge caliber cvt transmission fluid level?

Asked by zeussxt2008 Mar 20, 2010 at 05:53 AM about the 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT

I bough used Dodge caliber SXT 2008 & i don't know how to check the CVT fluid level also can i use the normal fluids ??
P.S\ the nearest dealer is about 1500 KM far from where i live so i think i need to check by myself.

LouiGuy Noel

ok.. i'm not sure about this one but listen to this.... some Crhysler cars have a plug on the tranny. so you would have to jack the car (leveled) and open up this plug. with the engine running Idle In neutral you fill up the tranny until it leaks for this plug (kinda like a differential). like i say i'm not sure about this one but i heard that somewhere. hope it help's

Larry Quigley

This thread details how to do it yourself:

Norm Roots

you never have to check it (sealed)

Dan Connell

you shouldnt ever have to check the fluid on that kind of transmission. if your expiriencing any problems such as slippage from it, its a problem with the belt. your CVT is a giant version of the way a snowmobile transfers power to the ground you have two large drums which grab a metal belt by using hydraulic pressure and force it to spin.

I have talked to three (actually four-but one might not have been viable) mechanics, but all said the same, it is enclosed, so run it till it stops working or leaks. Nothing yet...So far, pretty good deal. Had new alternator clutch put in at 70k (yes alt. clutch.) Tranny bucks, but only when running ac Has 108k on it and I use it for work, so it runs or idles for 5-8 hours per day.

To check the oil you need to buy the dipstick from Chrysler. Also fluid level depends on temperature of the oil. You are suppoed to check that with a thermometer. It is not a sealed system. The dipstick tube has a cap and is at the front of the engine near the fresh air intake. I've been told by one deale it never has to be changed and another told me 60 to 90k miles. The cost to do it was about $380. The parts guy said it is $32 per quart their cost.

Dan Connell

^hence why its a "sealed" system, you as the customer buying the vehicle should not be able to access the transmission fluids, or pieces. its not sealed in the sense that the case is a solid piece and can never be taken apart, its sealed in the sense of only the dealer has the tools on hand to properly service the transmission

I have a 2009 300c and 2010 caliber and both tranmission are sealed i bought a dipstick from f150. And when the car is warm at operating temp. i put the dipstick in and pulled out then when i found the hieght i maked it with ingraver and that was my full height now when you need to check out the transion you have a good reference to go by but dont leave thw dipstick in rwmove it everytime

Phillip Davis

I found a dipstick at it is marked in milimeters. That is the one to use. You also need an ir thermometer to measure the temp of the fluid. My wife's patriot has the same tranny and the recommendation is change the fluid at 90k miles. According to the Chrysler service manual it takes 7 liters when you change the filter. DO NOT over fill it! It will foam and start to leak. The reason they don't want you to check it is because the volume changes greatly with temperature unlike standard hydraulic fluid.

it has a drain plug. drain it. When you drain it make sure you put in the same amount in that was taken out. its probably easier than doing your oil and filter. I recomend doing it every 50,000 miles. couse it does turn black. just did mine june 24th. It came out realy black. It has 140,000 miles on it. I will be doing it again after summer. Cause it was supper black when it came out. Its suppose to be a cream looking color. Just got the car and it was acting up. Its working better already. i know it next time I doit will be that much better.

in a a sealed transmission any of these options listed above wil only drain out 4 to 6 quarts - sealed transmissions can have up to 19 quarts of fluid. by only draining a third or at best half of the fluid, and putting new fluid in - it weekens the new fluid and it is worse than the original fluid. watch this video on youtube - it really opened my eyes about sealed transmissions!

I had to change the condenser for the A/C, and it has a trans oil cooler in it. I never refilled the trans oil, now it overheats at times and will only go 20 mph when this happens. How much do I put back in? Any ideas on how to check it?