2008 Impala SS Traction Control Issue?

okiejb
70

Asked by Jul 11, 2013 at 03:19 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Impala SS

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala SS that I have had at the stealership 3 times in the last month. The issue started as a growling noise (not griding noise) in the left front end when backing out of a parking space at a low speed. I assumed that a CV joint was going out, so I took it in, and asked that the front end be checked out and specifically the CV on left front. Called me back to pick up that evening with no work performed becuase no issue found (odd huh, they usually charge for something). The issue was only occuring sporatically so we could not get it to repeat itself for example. Drove the car a few more weeks and the issue started occuring now when turning forward slowly into a left/right direction. Took it back to stealership, and no issue found, no codes, even tho it did occur when they drove it.
Now - still growling when slowing turning forward or reverse, but now the Traction Control light will briefly flash and there is a brief loss of power (There is no engine power message coming up on display). Yesterday was the first time that the issue occured going straight forward - pulled into an auto car wash, washed the car, and went to pull out, but (no growl) the traction light come on, lost all power and ended up pulling tranny down to 1st gear just to pull itself out of wash. Drove the rest of the day with no issue. Dealer is telling me that they do not want to throw parts at it (BTW, I have a good dealer) and that they cannot fix it until it throws a code.
So is it 1) Throttle Position Sensor 2) Accelerator Position Sensor 3) Throttle Actuator Control 4) Wheel Speed Sensor 5) Torque Converter Clutch circuit 6) Hubs

I am at a loss, and these are all of the suggestions that I have found thru research, but no one has posted back with what fixed the issue.

THANKS!

okiejb
70

Could this be part of Service Bulletin No.: 11-03-08-001 ? Subject: Growl Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle Models: 2006-2011 Chevrolet Impala (Including Police Vehicles) Condition Some customers may comment on a growl type noise coming from the front of the vehicle at speeds between 32 and 80 km/h (20 and 50 mph). Cause This condition may be caused by loss of preload on the front wheel bearings. Correction Important DO NOT replace the front wheel bearing and hub for this condition. To diagnose the noise, retorque the existing front axle shaft nut to 220 Nm (162 lb ft) and test drive the vehicle. If the noise is eliminated, replace both front axle shaft nuts with GM P/N 10257766 and tighten to the specification indicated below. On vehicles equipped with the police package (RPOs 9C1 or 9C3), add an additional Nord-Lock washer, GM P/N 20861489 between the hub and nut as shown in the illustration below.

VetteLuvr
115

I had a similar problem with the Traction Control locking up the right front wheel when I was backing out of a parking place and turning the wheels. When sitting still with the engine running and turning the steering wheel from left to right and back, the speedometer would move as if the car was moving. Turned out to be a broken wire to the wheel sensor. There is a replacement kit that the dealer can splice above where the break is. Cured the problem.