WHAT IS ESC?

queenbee4511
0

Asked by queenbee4511 Jan 16, 2014 at 07:44 PM about the 2007 Kia Sorento LX

I KNOW THE ESC STOPS ME FROM SLIDING AROUND IN THE SNOW BUT ID LIKE TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS

tuff4x4
7,565

09 kia at around 1,000 miles the ESC light started coming on while driving. I would stop, shut the engine off, restart, and it would be fine for a few days. Eventually though, the light would stay off only a few minutes before coming back on. My dealer couldn't find a problem. A couple of the senior guys on the site suggested having the dealer check the steering angle sensor, it's in the steering column under the airbag. I took it back to the dealer, left it running with the light on, told them about the sensor, they did a diagnostic and...tada!...it was the sensor. No problems since having it replaced. While replacing the sensor, the KIA service tech also checked and repaired two poor connections in the brake light circuit, but stated the steering angle sensor was the culprit. This works with the traction control and cuts the power down to a crawl to keep from spinning the tires.Better to leave it turned off.