Check Engine Light and codes

mlwms
10

Asked by mlwms Dec 03, 2009 at 08:33 PM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

Hello all,
I recently purchased a 2002 X-type 3.0. I think that I am going to get to like it. Being a Beamerhead for the past 25 years, I thought I would try a Jag.
However, the car had several problems, this is the story 1 of 2;

I went to AUTOZONE and rented the DTC reader for a few days
1. It had the dtc of p0171, p0174, check engine light on and cruise not available

I searched around the forums for solutions. (You guys are sharp!)

I then broke out my can of starting fluid, started the engine and begin to spray. I sprayed the IMTs, the pipe to the brake booster, the other hose that comes off top of the throttle body (TB) and the PVC hose, to no avail.

So I removed the TB to take a look around and WALLA! There laying on the rear valve cover was a SMASHED PIPE (repaired by inserting both ends into a section of gas line). The TB was not properly installed, instead of being secured to the lower mount (on the side of the valve cover) it was all the way down, pinning the pipe between itself and the valve cover. After reassembly, I cleared the codes, drive it for a few days with no problem.

I then returned the DTC reader back to Autozone. While there I figured I would get a can of Seabreeeze to clean my injectors. I filled the car up with premium gas and added the Seabreeze.

Later that evening, I had to fly out of town and it’s approximately 50 mile trip to the airport, so off I went. During the trip the check engine light came on. I noticed no difference in the car’s performance.

Upon my return home, I went to Autozone to have the codes read and there were p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, p0305, p0420, p0430 and p1316.
With this combination of codes indicating a misfire and NO p0304, I figured that this was caused by the Seabreeze (injector cleaning). Is my logic sound?
The car runs smooth
Because of a lawsuit Autozone can’t reset or rent the DTC Reader tool. The person that rented me the tool before was reprimanded.
Anyway, MY PROBLEM IS – HOW DO YOU CLEAR THE DTC CODES AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WITHOUT A TOOL?
I have:
1.tried removing the negative battery terminal for more than an hour
2.tried removing F32 from the fuse box under the hood
3.tried the reset / trip reset button (never got the timing right)
4.have cold started the car more than 10 times

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike L.

Connor Bee
115

That's easy, go to any auto/mechanical shop, and ask them to clear the codes. assuming they are not in a lawsuit they should have no problem doing it. our shop does not charge anything to clear. especially if you are a regular customer, so you might want to go to she shop you regularly go to. it sounds like you do a lot of work on you car yourself, but you must go to a shop at least to get your tire's changed. anyway if they do charge for it it will be a small charge. keep in mind that while the job will not cost the shop anything, the equipment to do the job does, so its not ripping you off if they do charge you. also if you are going to be reading codes lots you might want to invest in a small obd2 scanner your self. the cheap ones that just scan and clear codes aren't the best and there are some codes it cant read, but it might be helpful

Nik Pappaconstantine
55

just and idea to try, Jaguar has a back up battery somewhere in the line [which is why most of the time, when you take off your battery, you dont have to put a code into the radio] , But ive taken the battery out, and turned the key to start for a good 60 seconds, and its cleared the code before... it doesnt work EVERY time, but will sometimes haha...

Carreon09
30

Hello I have a 03 x type. My car works fine in till you ouch the gas the rpm goes up, rigth before 70 miles x hr and 3000 rpm. The motor star shaking the check ingine comes on and the panel say cruise control not available. I let the gas go and the car keeps driving just fine . Any suggestion any body have the same problem before . Let me know thanks am Adrian

GCUL8N
20

Great question, I have a 2002 x type, 2.5, I do the same thing, it only happens once each time I start the car, it will start shaking the engine, or sputtering and the panel says 'cruise not available', then I release the gas and slowly accelerate, in a few min the the panel clears and i can drive normally for the remainder of that trip. I tried checking the fuses and replaced a few but the issue continues. I would love to know why....

Dahmahnee Johnson
0

I have the same

Dahmahnee Johnson
0

I have the same problem my 2002 jag x type runs good but if you take fast it will sit down like the motor shut off you can hit the gas pedal and the car won't move until you didn't come all the way down then it will take off and ride just finecan someone please tell me the problem thank you

Reyes Virgen
0

I thinking you catalytic is clogged

Jeremy Wilson
10

Take you jaguar to the dealer ship and have a pro fix it. Jaguar , BMW , Benz , and all high end cars are made so not just anyone can work on them. That's the price of owning high end imports

Wc Lynwood
20

I had a problem with my 2003 2.5 stalling on take off. It turned out I had a crack in the brake booster line release air.

Wc Lynwood
20

I still have issues with the dash light coming on reading cruise not available.... Any ideas.

carscanb
0

I have the same problem. Changed pvc hose and it stopped for a week. Now the lights are still coming on but no choking until I drive over 70 miles. I've been told to check houses or vacuum leak or even get a transmission flush. I'm having that done in a couple of days. Are there any other suggestions out there??