Transmission problem

erichawk
0

Asked by erichawk Jun 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM about the 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

I am out of the Country right now with my car, a 2002 Jaguar x type. My Brother in Law has gone under the car and, trying to locate the transmission plug, has taken off one bolt if you are sitting in the drivers set the bolt would be under you, when he took this bolt out he says he heard that something "fell off" inside. He put the bolt back, however; now the vehicle will not reverse. It is automatic and will go into reverse but nothing happens when you press on the gas. It works fine in drive. I have contacted a few Jaguar dealerships and they all tell me there is nothing he could have done to it to cause this. So, what do we do to fix this?? Any ideas? Take a look at the photo attached, you can see the bolt that was removed and then put back, upper left with white arrow. Thanks,

mrprease
80

he pulled whats known as the reverse pin, in oreder to fix this problem you need to take the transmission out and get the gear (the sound like something dropped) back into position on the bolt that he pulled out

luiggi
150

hey i did the same thing how did u fix it????

Estella Jefferson
60

did this fix your problem? im having the same problem

luiggi
150

well u have to take down the tranny!!!

superdiver
250

So where in the heck IS the transmission drain plug and fill? I know these are factory sealed and there is no trnasmission dipstick in the engine compartment. However, from what I have read so far, there are plugs for the drain and fill accessable under the chasis. For anyone else, if you are getting a "Gearbox Fault" dash light... you are likely losing tranny fluid and the light is intermitent. We took ours to the local dealer here in Newport Beach CA and they were totally worthless... said nothing was wrong and only needed reset on the computer. They lied. I now have a trans leak and the car is missing as I drive it... reving before engaging. Now I don't drive it until I can have it fixed. Where the heck is that dammed plug?!

superdiver
250

Check this out for those of you looking for proper changing of transmission fluid.. almost scientific, and look where the fill plug is hidden, damned near under the battery box. Also- be very careful about what fluids you use- must compatible- see following links. http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-14/transmission-drain-fill-procedure-faq-43649/?ref=esp-img http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-14/cheap-approved-x-type-atf-found-5444/?ref=ccm-ext-0 http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/2006/01/motor-project-8-vital-fluids.html

Restoration
725

Tell your brother to leave your car alone til you get back,it sounds like he accidentally took the linkage arm loose and knocked allready fatigued plastic bushing into the aluminum casing.shift linkage is out of whack.

jaguar02
110

Anybody know why my jag hasitates untill it reaches the right tempeture? After that it's fine but when it's cold even the brakes don't want to work.

Roneel
60

I have a 2002 X-Type and for some reason now i cant put it in drive and it goes to 20mph and the rpm just rubs, the reverse works fine but i cant drive it. pls help

Rubie
755

Just because you broke it, doesn't mean you have to fix it yourself. Take it to a jag mechanic and let them fix it so you don't cause yourself more problems. Jags are notorious for needing constant repair.

Rachel Kirby
195

Let the dealership repair it. There are some you can do and some things for safety purposes you should let the dealership fix. Jaguars are a finicky bunch and if you don't know exactly what you're doing it could end of costing alot more to fix. Hope that helps =)

Daniel Chin
70

I have actually found a solution for this without removing the transmission. You will need snap ring pliers, air compressor with air chuck fitting,baling wire and a friend. First step-remove the cover snap ring (cover and plug are in center of picture). Second step-remove the plug next to the servo. Third step-blow air through the plug and that will dislodge the cover. Fourth step-remove the second snap ring, the servo and spring. Fifth step-feed the baling wire through the servo housing area until it is visible from the bolt that was accidentally removed. Sixth step-form a small hook on the baling wire tip and have assistant pull reverse band back into place and reinsert the bolt which holds the reverse band. Reinstall servo, spring and cover. Finally, live happily ever after.

arnoldb
20

drain plug is located on driver side under tranny remove the bracket for the trans cables plug is there

parkholm
60

here`s my solution to the no reverse problem,if your able to get the use of a ramp your problem will be gone in one hour,remove n/s/f wheel and the plug you thought was the level / filler now this might sound a bit unethical but it works ,i`ve just fixed my own x type auto,after making the same mistake,,drill a small hole in the casing just above the plug hole avoid putting any swarf getting inside ,use a small electrical screwdriver through the plug hole and work the bit inside the box upward until you see the gap that the plug locates into,it has only dropped down about an inch or so when you have it where you want it then use a piece of welding rod through the hole you have drilled to hold the locator in place then fit the locator plug back in to the casing having done as instructed you have rectified your no reverse problem,,you only need to plug the small hole in the casing whichever way you want, job done...no need to remove transmission or dismantle servo or anything, happy days

Ernie171717
90

what is the approximately cost to fix the ggearbox fault? the car reverse well, when goes forward it seems to be taking off on the second or third gear. What will cost me to get this fixed?

52672
5

I have a 02 jaguar xtype 2.5 awd if I remove the rear drive shaft the car r able to run

Newark Nj Gang
10

Just got this same issue no reverse but cars in great condition no codes no issue just one day I was going to park & when I put in reverse car felt in neutral - now I haven't worked on my car for months no need to cars in great sharp so I never touched any bolt under the car except the oil drain three months ago Now I did hear that it might be a torn rubber like band in gear shifter

aircraft50
0

No reverse after fluid change due to removing the wrong plug this is the ( reverse band plug) located above the driver side axle shaft looks like a star head bolt (do not remove) But .If you remove this bolt the reverse band will fall down 1 inch inside the trans and you will have no reverse or down manual shifting. I fixed this very simply with out removing the trans or other parts and it works great. I drilled a 1/8 inch hole just 1 inch below the reverse band plug hole, The case there is only 1/8 inch thick so be careful not to drill to deep. Take a magnet on a stick and small screwdriver and align the band through the reverse band plug hole and another small screw driver to hold it in place through this new hole you drilled. Use a magnet on a stick if necessary to get the band up from the bottom of the trans.. Make sure it is aligned and secure and secure the band bolt back in place .Use a fine thread machine screw with some Teflon tape to plug the 1/8 hole that was drilled and your done. It is necessary to remove the driver side cv axle to get a drill bit with a extension to drill the hole.Or if you have a 90 degree drill you don't have to remove the drive CV axle just remove the wheel and come in from the side a one hour job.

gumis21
5

or you can remove the rear drive of the Jaguar x type 2001 2.5 4x4

Minibiker100
10

My jag will not back up in reverse it wants to go but the trannie is holding it back its awd nd we took out the driveshaft and it kinda goes but we have to rev it up to 4 rpm we put it back in and it goes fine in drive but not reverse i think it could be an electric parking brake in the trannie

VICTOR0330
10

I've found less work and very easy to correct the mistakes in just 15minutes. Instead of drilling a 1/8in. hole on that mistaken level fluid check, I use a very strong magnet to push the reverse band up and exactly to the hole where you can see the sitting of the plug that I just wrongly removed and it's done so easy. Hopefully this will help too. Thanks.

Lew1121
10

To all with a "Gearbox Fault" dash light turning on and causing your Jaguar to shift into a forward drive "Limp" mode. I have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 that just began this symptom. It has 108000 miles on it and until now the transmission has worked fine. I did not have any water getting into TCM or ECM electronic control modules as others have indicated. What immediately fixed my problem was to simply "set the Parking Brake" after I place the car shifter into Park and before letting my foot off the brake. I found only one posting on the internet where someone said after taking their Jaguar to the dealer for "Gearbox Fault" dash light service to align transmission and shifter cables, the service person advised them to always set their parking brake to help keep things aligned. So I tried this advice and my problem immediately went away...