how long to replace a valve cover gasket for a 3.8 liter engine

bear
25

Asked by bear Jan 22, 2008 at 06:33 PM about the 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Limited

how long does it take to replace valve cover gaskets on a 2001 chrysler town and country with a 3.8 liter engine

casper271
3,735

The front one is ok to do, the rear is a pain in the butt it is more of a "do-by-feel" job, If you never have done this before it will take awhile, There is alot in the way and very ackward to get on, just remember where everything gets removed from. this job is a pain, if it was my van I would take it to someone else to do. But if you take it to a shop that has done a few of these it should take forever, about 4 hours. Drop the van off, rent a car for the day. That is what is best. Hope this helps, best of luck.

23,625

Yes, the 3.8L V-6 was the "big" engine which meant service times typically increased for anything on it due to constricted space in the engine compartment. For example, water pump on a 3.3 = 2 hours, 3.8 = 4+ hours. I would say an estimate of 4 hours would be pretty close, didn't see too many of these come through at the Dodge dealer, typically saw them with the 3.3L engine. Never had to write a service order for valve cover gaskets on a 3.8.

papa

hay fellows try it on a 3.8 supercharged engine.

casper271
3,735

I'll pass.... LOL (sorry had to throw that in).

melmel
10

ok in front but in the rear its a pain and bruises in your arm and also in your back!

rchristian
80

Try this tip or pull the wiper assembly. Then anyone can do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7CccL0vSYk