Overheating issues

wcso17q
55

Asked by wcso17q Sep 23, 2007 at 03:26 PM about the 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LX

My vehicle's water gauge topped out. I changed the thermostat, radiator cap, drained, flushed, and filled the system. I checked the belt and hoses and they were fine. I ran the vehicle for 20 minutes or so, and the gauge topped out again. I checked the upper hose, it was hot. I checked the fans and they were running. What is the problem?

crazzy450r
515

check for blown head gasket (compresion test)

18TandSVT
3,645

The head gasket is about all that could be left...

wcso17q
55

I appreciate everyones speedy response. However, it was the water pump.

janeneb
40

Did our water pump make noice. I have replaced all the hoses, the thermostat, the thermostat housing and still overheats. I just don't get it. Everyone has told me that it can't be a water pump because it's not making any noice.I really need some advise please help

janeneb
40

this is exactly what my car is doing. I have spend the last three weeks trying everything. The only thing I haven't done is replace the cap but I am tomorrow and havent done anything with water pump yet, but it's not making any noice..

amcgrady
85

Mine did this and the problem was the radiator itself. I hope you got your problem fixed before you ruined the engine (like I did!)

karino
0

The water pump does not cause overheating problems unless is leaking all the water out?

Denise Stropki
0

I replaced a hose the thermostat and flushed the radiator this summer. Car still is leaking out radiator fluid from overflow side. Went to autozone to buy fluid they said ur van takes a special kind of fluid. It isn't green it is orange. Even overflow cap warns of need for special type of fluid! He put it in and put a whole jug of water in too. They said the buring rubber smell and smoke are coming from the engine oil leaking! Drove the car that night radiator smelled worse and left side steam or smoke poured out heavily! Didnt make it home in 1 degree weather with no heat by the way and thermostat rose again like this summer when it went! The temp usually didnt go up since this summer when thermosatat was replaced. Why also do we not get heat on both sides and only get it when antifreeze is first poured in before it leaks out? Is this engine related dud to severe oil leak in back of engine underneath? Head gasket, engine, radiator, water pump or iheater core issues or all of the above?

Denise Stropki
0

AskOnce
0

Sounds like the Radiator is the problem.